RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

funky

Jul 3, 2002, 12:08 PM
Post #1 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

bolder or to climb top rope?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i'm new to climbing and i was wondering what is better for newbies to learn technique. To bolder or to climb top rope?
thanks

vertical_reality

Jul 3, 2002, 12:43 PM
Post #2 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

bolder or to climb top rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering is the best way to practice/learn techique but I reccommend that you do some top roping first. Alot of boulder problems are technique specific so if you are just beginning I suggest you do some top roping to get a feel for movement, hand/foot placement, holds etc. If you have been top roping for a while and want to concentrate on technique then bouldering is an easy way to practice. There's no need for a rope, moves can be practiced over and over again until they are done correctly and it'll help increase you contact strength. I climb and boulder at a ratio of 1:1 and use alot of the moves that are needed for bouldering problems when I'm top roping.

I'm a newbie too and this is just my opinion. A more experience climber can probably offer you some better advice.

Hope this helps though!

After reading my message again I just want to point out that I don't boulder as practice for climbing... I boulder because I like bouldering!!!

[ This Message was edited by: vertical_reality on 2002-07-03 06:35 ]

frawg

Jul 3, 2002, 12:58 PM
Post #3 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bouldering bouldering bouldering.

bouldering bouldering bouldering.

I climbed for about a year and half bouldering before i ever went on a rope. (money thing, i didn't have any) Anywho.. went i finally got on a rope, i lead an 5.11b.. but you're new to climbing, so that probably means nothing to you..

Peaze
frawg

Partner jammer

Jul 3, 2002, 1:30 PM
Post #4 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Both ... toproping is a great way to experience exposure, but lacks the ability for you to really experiment (the belayer really gets tired), where bouldering is the best way to learn technique, and if you mess up ... you don't have too far to fall. I've found that all the different techniques I've learned while bouldering, when put togeather, makes for one hell of a climb and you one hell of a climber. Enjoy, be safe and climb on!

overlord

Jul 3, 2002, 1:58 PM
Post #5 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

both. go for diversity.

CLIMB ON

kitt

Jul 4, 2002, 12:04 PM
Post #6 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think about
2:1 (bouldering:toproping)

hang_man

Jul 4, 2002, 12:14 PM
Post #7 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i will go for top rope first, but occasional go boulder wouldn't harm anyway....but bouldering is too specific for newbies

kitt

Jul 4, 2002, 12:33 PM
Post #8 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, for newbies sometimes there are problems with gear and money, so people begin bouldering.
That was the reason for my very first climbs bouldering, but now (after just 3 monthes) i feel that bouldering gives me much more than toproping

frawg

Jul 4, 2002, 2:09 PM
Post #9 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

exactly, when a new climber gets on a top rope, they sometimes end up relying on the rope for resting, etc.. While bouldering, you can't rely on your rope, so you don't get into bad habits. I know someone who can't lead a climb, because he rests on the rope at least one time every climb no matter what the difficulty is. He never boulders, therefore he has never fallen, even slightly. He wants the toprope to be tight.. in case he falls. Bad habit he picked up.

peaze
frawg

phil_nev

Jul 4, 2002, 3:38 PM
Post #10 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do both. Bouldering will build strength, and technique. However, doing routes on TR is good for keeping the stamina up. I found that after heaps of bouldering my endurance goes down... just try and find a balance between the two.

By the way funky, where do you climb? Wana go friday for a climb. Call me if you wana hook up.
Phil

orestes1724

Jul 5, 2002, 12:35 PM
Post #11 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

both,
bouldering will guve you good technique, and like frawg saud it will keep you from relieing on the rope as much.

likethegoddess

Jul 5, 2002, 7:16 PM
Post #12 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say go with your passion. If you really dig top roping, concentrate on that and do bouldering to make your sport climbing better. If you really like bouldering, but work on top roping when the climb you want is too high for bouldering. If you love both, go with a fairly balanced routine.

neeshman

Jul 13, 2002, 7:18 AM
Post #13 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am only 7 months into the sport, and maybe this is wrong and stupid, but when you start leading, you have no rope to hang on, just like bouldering, so I guess bouldering could be a big step towards lead climbing, I am dumb, oh well

kahuna3602

Jul 13, 2002, 10:10 AM
Post #14 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uhhh, for top rope and lead you don't hang on to the rope, it catches you if you fall. If you're leaning on the rope or your belayer is pulling you up, that's not the right way to do it. NOw if you stuck or tired on a long climb your belayer may take up the slack and hold you there, but when your back on the wall it should be all you. And my apologies to all aid climbers but I'm not going to go there for this post.

topher

Jul 14, 2002, 3:20 AM
Post #15 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think neeshman is refering to the fact that you can use the rope for balance well top ropping if the belayer is holding it to tight. also well lead climbing much like when bouldering you cant just stop and hang to rest you have to get to a rest point or take a fall and try again or from lower down on the climb. as for the question of bouldering/top ropping, i would say unless your really into bouldering use it as a way ti train if you cant get a partenr to come out with you. but top ropping is good if you hope to eventualy get into stuff like leading and doing longer routes, but if you think that you want to get into sport i would say that bouldering is more in line with that. but all i can say is i do all four and love them all so as long as your having fun just do the one that is acessable to you at that given time. have fun and climb safe

bouldertoad

Jul 14, 2002, 4:38 AM
Post #16 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am going to disagree with some of you who think bouldering is the way to go first. Most boulder problems are by nature short and powerful meaning most newbies are not up to the task. Top-roping is a good way to start because yo uare doing what climbing was intended to do, get up a cliff face. Greanted it is not leading but you get the feeling of climbing. Now don't get your panties all up ina wad I love to boulder as well but it is not the same as climbing on a rope. The two are entirely different aspects of our wonderfull sport. Top-roping will help you develop technique and stamina as well as rope skills that you cannot learn while simply bouldering. Just my .02

apollodorus

Jul 14, 2002, 6:06 AM
Post #17 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Top roping is less likely to result in sprained ankles, or worse. And you'll probably have a better time going up longer climbs. The transition from top roping to following pitches is so minimal, you'll be doing multi-pitch climbs in no time.

climbingaddict

Jul 14, 2002, 10:32 AM
Post #18 of 18 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do all of them,
Climbing and bouldering. Their both great for your climbing future and it's a good way to improve yourself

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook