First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

5.13leadsalot
Deleted

Sep 7, 2001, 4:17 AM
Post #1 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Chris Sharma DQ'ed Is It True?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

Is it really true?????????

[ This Message was edited by: 5.13leadsalot on 2001-09-07 13:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 5.13leadsalot on 2001-09-07 13:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: trevor on 2001-10-06 19:03 ]

fiend

Sep 7, 2001, 4:42 AM
Post #2 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Chris Sharma DQ'ed Is It True? [In reply to]
Report this Post

Chris tested positive for marijuana and had his first place finish, at the Munich World Cup bouldering event, revoked.

Partner pianomahnn

Sep 7, 2001, 5:38 AM
Post #3 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  

Which serves the dumb ass right. He knew the rules...

iclimb512s

Sep 8, 2001, 1:39 AM
Post #4 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

pot is bad. loser. i cant believe a pot head climbed a 15

5.13leadsalot
Deleted

Sep 8, 2001, 6:01 PM
Post #5 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

For that I guess I won't look up to him any more!

andy_lemon

Sep 10, 2001, 12:44 AM
Post #6 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Ok, I have to step in here. This is my opinion, not something I do (marajuana) but the way I feel:

I can see were testing for marajuana is bad, illegal, against rules, etc. But how can you say it possibly inhanced his performance? One reason I can think of; pott would ease the pain that comes to the fingers when bouldering for a long period of time (my fingers start to hurt after a couple hours in the gym).

Now if we are talking about steriods, speed, etc. enhancement is possible but by no means did pott help him win 1st place at Munich. One other thing that pott couldn't have helped him out is because from reading the article on the homepage of this site I know that he was using it BEFORE the tournament and not during, so how in the hell could it possibly of helped him out?

If they are going to give drug tests at Would Bouldering Comps they should go ahead and start on the local level. I've never got one or heard of anyone getting a drug test at the local level.

I'm not a freedom fighter for pott or anything like that, I'm not going to say that I've never done it but it was at least a good 5+ years ago. But seriously... if I climbed 5.15 I would probably feel like a phatie too! LMAO!!!

Cheers and good laughs
Andy

tomanox

Sep 10, 2001, 1:33 AM
Post #7 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

I agree how could he climb better with pot. Id say it would probably lesson his performance. and whats up with giving first place to the other guy. He isent gonna feel any better now that he is first place because he knows Chris would kick his ass!!

talons05

Sep 10, 2001, 2:21 AM
Post #8 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey, I brought up this point in another discussion on this subject a few days ago, but for anyone who didn't see that one:

The point is not whether or not Sharma's Marijuana use was performance enhancing, but that it was against the rules. We all have to follow the rules, whether we're climbing 5.6 or 5.15. I'm not even totally against pot. I've never used it. But he broke the rules and he has to face the consequences. When you perform at that level, you have to hold yourself to a standard that is a little more strict.

kelv^
Deleted

Sep 10, 2001, 3:55 AM
Post #9 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

i agree with Talons..
its not about whether the drug helps u perform or not...but it is a DRUG..i think the disqualification will help deter other people from doing any sort of drugs especially during or before a competition.

talons05

Sep 10, 2001, 4:07 AM
Post #10 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Thanks. I think it's just about responsibility.

andy_lemon

Sep 10, 2001, 4:41 PM
Post #11 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

They are actually considering suspension??? What the hell. ok ok, I don't want to sound dumb, I know they are suspending him from the UIAA bouldering comps but just think for a second what the conversation between Sharma and the person telling him he can't climb for 3 months...lol

"Chris, no climbing for 3 months. Do not and I repeat Do not put up anymore 5.15a's for 3 months!" LMAO!

talons05

Sep 11, 2001, 4:23 AM
Post #12 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Of course, there's no way they'll keep him from CLIMBING for three months, but you for sure won't be hearing about his winning any competitions in that time. I think he'll get back in and this will all blow over. He made a mistake, but so do we all, so I'll still respect him and keep up on what he's up to.

metoliusmunchkin

Sep 26, 2001, 2:44 AM
Post #13 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Woa!! I never knew that!! I always suspected Chris as being a pretty good guy, but I never suspected him doing that, especially when he knows he can get caught. That is really wierd!

crackheadclimber

Nov 14, 2001, 2:50 AM
Post #14 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I think what chris does in his own time is his business. People need to mind their own business. chris is an awesome climber and that's what we should be talking about.

stardust44

Nov 14, 2001, 3:48 AM
Post #15 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

i agree with crackhead. Chris isn't hurting anyone by smoking pot. Live and let live.

talons05

Nov 14, 2001, 4:36 AM
Post #16 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  

it's not about hurting anyone, it's about following the rules.

Aw

captainprozac

Nov 14, 2001, 6:07 AM
Post #17 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  

Wake up people...first of all what Chris does is his own business, and if people would mind their own business this world wouldn't be so messed up. Personally, I have more respect for him now knowing that he smokes grass...in our country the law says it's illegal, but does that make it wrong? This kid is one of the greatest climbers of our time, but because he chooses to make his own decisions that some don't agree with, all of a sudden he is some kind of deviant. Marijuana is a plant, but because it is illegal in our country, oh my God, it must be wrong...bullshit. Meanwhile we fill our youth with all this war on drugs propaganda, then they go home and sit in front of the boob tube and see 20 commercials a night for this pill and that pill, but because these mega corps are making millions it's OK, how absurd is that? Everyone has their drug of choice...whether it be alcohol, cigarettes, T.V., running, coffee, power, money...whatever it may be, rock climbing for example...people are going to do things that give them their "high"....it's not a question of right or wrong, but one of personal choice...the only way we are to evolve is through change, and sometimes this envolves breaking the rules. I smoke grass almost daily, and have also been arrested for it...but not once did I feel that I did something wrong. I'd rather die standing on my feet than be living on my knees. Climb on Chris...while we still can...and if we should ever meet, I hope we can burn one and have a chill bouldering session

Pete

Partner pianomahnn

Nov 14, 2001, 7:28 AM
Post #18 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  

You're arguing a point that can't be argued.

There were rules to be followed, and one of those rules were broken. Plain and simple.

Scenario: You sign a contract to climb at an indoor gym (if you never do this, just play along anyways). Included in this contract are rules regarding belaying. While belaying, you break the rules, and have your priveleges taken away. No arguing.

Now, the same sort of situation is what happened to Sharma. No arguing.

Now, does anyone else wan't to be ignorant and TRY to debate me? If so, let me say you're wrong before you try.

captainprozac

Nov 14, 2001, 3:12 PM
Post #19 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I wasn't trying to argue any point there "arrogantmahnn"...I was trying to make one...Chris got DQ'd...and it was that governing body that chose to do so, nuff said...but it bothers me that this kids accomplishments are far too many to mention, but because he smoked a joint
he's now a bad person, lets put him on a pedastool just to knock him off...isn't that what everyone wants? He is a person like all of us...no better...no worse...and because he got DQ'd, it does not make him any less of a decent human being...so be careful what you say your
holiness...people are waiting and watching for you to slip up, just so they can pounce... and that my friend is too bad...this is my point.

Pete

Partner pianomahnn

Nov 14, 2001, 3:39 PM
Post #20 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  

'Tis the life of an individual in the public eye. If you're famous you give up certain rights. He's going to have to understand, and so will everyone else, that being criticized for everything he does is part of the game. Being a well known, well respected, well liked individual, his criticizms will be much less than others while at the same time much more publicized.

It's all part of the game, and he needs to learn how to play it.

On another note, marijuana is lame.

veggieclimbr

Nov 14, 2001, 4:02 PM
Post #21 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'm sure you can't say you've never broken the rules before. I personally don't smoke pot and never have but I have no problem with other people doing it. Chris is an awesome climber and nothing else should matter. Yes, he is a role model but I doubt he would have chosen that title for himself. He didn't ask for people to look up to him and those that do should not have the right to judge him. If you disagree with what he did, that's fine, you don't have to support him anymore, but who are you to say what he did was wrong?

Partner pianomahnn

Nov 14, 2001, 8:24 PM
Post #22 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Any person knows fully what position as a role model they will hold when they sign on with sponsors, and get world wide attention. Only if you live under a rock, and never move, are quite comatose, and extremely moronic would you not understand this.

I'm not dicussing Chris Sharma's character; wether or not her is a good or bad person for smoking pot. I'm arguing the fact he was grossly unintelligent with his actions.

Chris Sharma, wether he wants to be or not, is a businessman, and business men need to follow rules. As long as he partakes in activities people deem inappropriate, and as long her breaks rules organizations deem inappropriate, he will be criticized.

Once again, I am not debating his character, that I will not judge.

stardust44

Nov 14, 2001, 9:56 PM
Post #23 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Just a thought, maybe it shouldn't be rule.

Partner pianomahnn

Nov 14, 2001, 10:12 PM
Post #24 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I like debates..so why do you think it shouldn't be a rule?

climb512

Nov 14, 2001, 10:34 PM
Post #25 of 107 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

what would you expext from someone called crackheadclimber. it doesnt matter if it is only pot, he knew the rules and broke them, no different than any other pro athelete getting busted and fined,suspended. if we want respect for our sport thaen we have to follow the same rules as any other sport does. sharma just isnt any smatter than the cowboys leon lett. hope he learns from it, no doubt he is one of the greats. lets see him pull a 5.15 without chillin' on dube first.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook