RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

rockjock04

Jul 4, 2002, 2:05 AM
Post #1 of 16 (10222 views)
Shortcut

Climbing injury/death statistics.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey every body. I feel like homer simpson at U2's concert, every body hates him. just kidding but anyway...

I always get this crap about "climbing is too dangerous." or "a lot of people get hurt" or something to that sort.

For arguments sake, I was wondering if anyone knew climbing accidents/injury/death statistics for a year at a time.

This is something I'm very curious about, as it is I dont know. Also any website listing this stuff and sources would be great. Thanks for your help.

bigga

Jul 4, 2002, 2:16 AM
Post #2 of 16 (10222 views)
Shortcut

Climbing injury/death statistics. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I looked all that stuff up a while ago on the net. I cant remember the addressess, but go to google and look up "climbing stats" or "climbing statistics" and you should find it no problem.

If I remember, different types of climbing vary in danger, as do different climbs. The North Face of the Eiger for example by 1972 or something like that had a 16% death rate, it was only successfuly climbed first in the early sixties, and for a period before that, the North Face had killed so many people it was made elegal to climb. Nowdays it is considered a "good practice climb for more ambitious climbs" times change...but...ummm... I'm rambling...

To the statistics you want... you'll find they vary... sport being the safest form (excluding bouldering of course)
Overall, what I read on one sight which compared the casualty rate of different things, Childbirth (probably taking the hole world into account, but you can never tell what sample space they used) rated more dangerous than climbing, although that a hard one for me to swallow... also skiing was rated more dangerous.
what I beleave, though I'm fairly new at climbing, just under a year, is that you can make it as dangerous as you decide to.

traide

Jul 4, 2002, 2:26 AM
Post #3 of 16 (10222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't remember where I saw the statistics, but I do remember reading somewhere that by percentages, climbing was less lethal than driving a car, day hiking, and a few other things.

kman

Jul 4, 2002, 7:42 AM
Post #4 of 16 (10222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pick up a copy of Accidents In North American Mountaineering. It has lots of stats and stories.

coach

Jul 4, 2002, 1:45 PM
Post #5 of 16 (10222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a link that will give you some stats on accidents.

http://www.bml.umn.edu/~peter/climbing/ANAM/ANAM.html

Climb On

verticallaw

Jul 4, 2002, 6:49 PM
Post #6 of 16 (10221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out a book called "Savage Areana"

ffaallliinngg

Jul 4, 2002, 8:57 PM
Post #7 of 16 (10221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know any statistics, but I can't help but notice that the climbing magazines have a long obituary section every issue, whereas most sport-specific magazines do not.

overlord

Jul 4, 2002, 9:11 PM
Post #8 of 16 (10221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

but not all of these deaths are climbing-related.

spacemonkey

Jul 4, 2002, 9:39 PM
Post #9 of 16 (10221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, ironically enough, most of the obits seem to result from car crashes...

Brian

apollodorus

Jul 4, 2002, 10:00 PM
Post #10 of 16 (10221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For recreational/sports deaths, look to yachting and sailboating as the #1 evil. More people die that way than any other, based on the total number that engaged in a particular sport. It just seems more glamorous, given the high $$$ nature of the people who can afford a Hamptons or Hyaniss gig. Camp 4 climbers (and their more ghetto brethren, the Dirt Baggers) don't normally show up on CNN when they sell their Imclone stock on the sly.

Another factor that contributes to the "death wish" mentality perceived by the masses is the spectacular nature of the incidents. A guy falling 2000 feet to the talus leaves a mess. When a sailboat capsizes and everyone drowns, there isn't any gory photo-op.

"When climbing is safe, only safe climbers will be climbing safely."
-Dr. Johnson

rockjock04

Jul 4, 2002, 10:07 PM
Post #11 of 16 (10221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey thanks all of you, especially coach. That site had the exact information I was looking for, injuries/death and the causes. expect your q to go up

coach

Jul 5, 2002, 3:37 PM
Post #12 of 16 (10221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the interesting aspects of the stats is that looking at the Primary and Contributory Causes you will note that there are almost no accidents reported that list equipment failure as the cause.

Climb On

micahmcguire

Jul 5, 2002, 7:50 PM
Post #13 of 16 (10221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

according to the stats, you are more likely to be killed in a car crash on the way to your favorite crag than at the crag itself. Also according to the statistics you are more likely to be struck by lightning while you are climbing than for your gear to fail (interesting point to note if you are not so sure you are ready to trust your gear). But don't take my word for it:
http://www.bml.umn.edu/~peter/climbing/ANAM/ANAM.html

micahmcguire

Jul 5, 2002, 7:50 PM
Post #14 of 16 (10221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh, someone already posted this link, oh well, its still a good link!

bradhill

Jul 5, 2002, 9:02 PM
Post #15 of 16 (10221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This link, from a paddling site, has climbing as part of a comparision of fatalaties per 100,000 participants in various activites.

Climbing comes in at 3.2/100K. This is slightly less dangerous than scuba, and slightly more dangerous than whitewater boating. It's half the fatality rate of recreational boating, less than a quarter of the fatality rate for passenger automobiles and less than falls at home!

wildtrail

Jul 6, 2002, 9:43 PM
Post #16 of 16 (10221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You may want to ask me. I do some work for a little book you all may have heard about. ANAM (Accidents in North American Mountaineering). I am an American Alpine Club Safety Committee Member (Volunteer, I wish I could get paid for it).

It is hard to say the percentage of climbers that actually get hurt. One, we don't know exactly how many climbers there are out there in the US. Two, not all accidents (and even an infrequent death slips through the cracks) are reported.

To guess, I'd say somewhere near 3%. That is a complete guess. Not even an educated one. From what I see and hear about, the percentage is very, very small.

Most accidents are from those who surpass their limits. Yes, this even happens to the experienced. I'm not just talking about Joe climber started yesterday. Fact is, the "newbies" are usually safer and have less accidents. Most likely because they are new to the game and death is first thing on their minds. Any way, the majority of accidents are from mistakes and conditions (everything from bad weather to degrated rock).

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook