RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

mother_sheep

Apr 27, 2005, 8:15 AM
Post #1 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

4th Class Colorado
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking to spend a little me time alone in the mountains at altitude. I'd like to see a list of the best 4th class climbs in the state. I understand not to underestimate the nature of some 4th class climbs and I have enough experience in the mountains to know what to do on my own. Please do not use this as a thread to judge but use it to list some enjoyable routes that you've done and remember fondly. I don't fear the long hike in. It's a bonus. And yeah, I said on my own but I wouldn't mind having another like minded soul to run around with out in the wild.

wannabe

Apr 27, 2005, 9:07 AM
Post #2 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Re: 4th Class Colorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you haven't done the sawtoofh traverse between Bierstadt and Evans, you should give it a shot. I know the guide book lists it as a 3rd class climb if you follow the directions staying down off the ridge. Get on top of the ridge and stay there :shock: it is super fun and exposed, 4th class. Once you do the roll to the other side of the ridge and headed towards Evans you get back on top of the exposed ridge to finish the Evans summit. It's well reccomended...by me. :D

mother_sheep

Apr 27, 2005, 9:12 AM
Post #3 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you haven't done the sawtoofh traverse between Bierstadt and Evans, you should give it a shot. I know the guide book lists it as a 3rd class climb if you follow the directions staying down off the ridge. Get on top of the ridge and stay there :shock: it is super fun and exposed, 4th class. Once you do the roll to the other side of the ridge and headed towards Evans you get back on top of the exposed ridge to finish the Evans summit. It's well reccomended...by me. :D
Yep, done it, loved it. :-)

mother_sheep

Apr 27, 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #4 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The summit bulge to Wetterhorn is rated Class III, but it's one of those "if you slip, you die," so it rates 4th class in my estimation. Beautiful hike in. There are some fourth class on Uncompaghre as well which can be combined for either a long, fulfilling day or spread out over the weekend.

What about the Maroon Bells? The rock is loose, but there's a marathon circuit I'd like to do this summer that includes some scrambling.

Martha,

I'd like to do that too this summer. Is that the 24 mile cirque? Either way, listen to yo mamma. We're going. :D

zozo

Apr 27, 2005, 11:48 AM
Post #5 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The summit bulge to Wetterhorn is rated Class III, but it's one of those "if you slip, you die," so it rates 4th class in my estimation.

That was fun and yeah it is a long way down. The climbing is pretty easy thought.

msamet

Apr 27, 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #6 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Freeway--2nd Flatiron.
North Maroon Peak with the Traverse to South Maroon (not as loose as it used to be)
Mount Wilson-El Diente Traverse
Kelso Ridge, Torrey's Peak (can be made into 3rd class by deviating at one point)
Quandary Couloir (with snow)
Luke Skywalker, South Arapahoe Peak (with snow)
The 4th class way to the summit on Lone Eagle Peak, Indian Peaks
Traverse from Crestone Needle to Crestone Peak (though the descent of Crestone Peak might be one of the *worst* 4th class routes in the state depending on conditions). Maybe do the traverse in the opposite direction.
South Ridge of Mount Sneffels (3rd class really, but can be made into fun 4th class by staying directly on the ridge)
Pyramid Peak by either the NE or NW ridges
Ellingwood Ridge, La Plata (can be kept at 4th class by going around gendarmes--great rock)

rockelf

Apr 27, 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #7 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Kelso Ridge on The Grays and Torries Cirque!!!! :D

jcinco

Apr 27, 2005, 12:18 PM
Post #8 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple good ones I've done in the Indian Peaks:

Mt Neva, N ridge
N Arapahoe Pk, S Ridge

Mt Neva can be done very quickly since it is approached from Arapahoe Pass. N Arapahoe Pk is a bit longer since you need to climb S. Arapahoe Pk first.

dlintz

Apr 27, 2005, 12:40 PM
Post #9 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The summit bulge to Wetterhorn is rated Class III, but it's one of those "if you slip, you die," so it rates 4th class in my estimation. Beautiful hike in. There are some fourth class on Uncompaghre as well which can be combined for either a long, fulfilling day or spread out over the weekend.

Do the traverse between Wetterhorn and Matterhorn. 4th Class and airy on both sides.

d.

mbg

Apr 27, 2005, 2:47 PM
Post #10 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Yep, done it, loved it. :-)

Have you been on the SE Ridge of Bierstadt? It links up well with the Sawtooth and has some of the best pink alpine granite I've seen. It can be done after a long walk/backpack up the Scott Gomer drainage or in a quick day from high on the Mt. Evans road. Roach refers to the shorter version as the "Tour d'Abyss."

Partner pt

Apr 27, 2005, 2:53 PM
Post #11 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Little Bear to Blanca ridge is very cool with lots of exposure but nothing too difficult in technical terms.

takeme

Apr 27, 2005, 5:19 PM
Post #12 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tracy, some of my personal favorites include Arrowhead to McHenry's, Thatchtop to Powell, S to N Arapahoe, and Ida to Julian (in RMNP). Also, I haven't done it, but having been on the summits of Elk's Tooth and Ogallala, the 4th class connecting ridge between the 2 looks awesome.

Both my dad and my steady girl speak very highly of the traverse from Pagoda to Longs, along the Keyboard of the Winds. This is easily combined with the Clark's Arrow Route up Longs which is one of my favorite "class 3d" routes.

ecjohnson

Apr 27, 2005, 5:38 PM
Post #13 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about the Knife ridge on Capital Peak?
The Traverse between Wilson and El Diente has on class 5 section. it's tiny though.
Then there's my favorite climb so far. The Northwest face of eagles Nest Peak. It's a high 12,000 or low 13,000 I think, I don't really remember. But from the basin that you start the climb in, it is relentless 4th class all the way to the top. Best climb I've done in CO, and it isn't a 14er.

Ethan

whatsupmo

Apr 27, 2005, 6:12 PM
Post #14 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kelso ridge has fond memories, and the knife edge on capitol is another that keeps your attention. You have to like a long walk to get to it though.

climb14er

Apr 28, 2005, 8:24 AM
Post #15 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a lot of good replies on this thread. Most fortunately I've done and can say, great 4th class with altitude.

Here's a link to a neat trip around the Bells that might have been alluded to in previous posts.

http://www.pikaworks.com/travel/trips/colorado/maroon-bells/

It's a four pass backpacking trip that can be done in as little as three days. Throw in another day or two or three for Hagerman Peak, Snowmass Mtn, Pyramid, or one or both of the Bells and it's a Grand Slam trip.

I'm going back again with some friends for the loop this summer and will go as light as possible.

pico23

Apr 29, 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #16 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also, I haven't done it, but having been on the summits of Elk's Tooth and Ogallala, the 4th class connecting ridge between the 2 looks awesome.

Elks Tooth was a possible peak for me this trip but I'm thinking it will have to wait. The mountain looks sweet. Rarely climbed and fairly technical just a few summits a year.

The ridge though really caught my attention. It's (from what I have been able to read and research) pretty sustained 4th class. And it's even less often climbed. The photos look amazing and the few trip reports i've seen speak volumes. Me likes it a lot.

coalpinist

Apr 29, 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #17 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

4th class climbs in Colorado are no place for a lady... :wink:

sandbag

Apr 29, 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #18 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for the for mentioned post on the Clarks arrow route On the northwest side of longs to Meeker: its 5.2/3 all the way. fun to solo, but not in the rain or groppel like when i was duped into it years ago.... :?

takeme

May 2, 2005, 6:16 PM
Post #19 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Also, I haven't done it, but having been on the summits of Elk's Tooth and Ogallala, the 4th class connecting ridge between the 2 looks awesome.

Elks Tooth was a possible peak for me this trip but I'm thinking it will have to wait. The mountain looks sweet. Rarely climbed and fairly technical just a few summits a year.

The ridge though really caught my attention. It's (from what I have been able to read and research) pretty sustained 4th class. And it's even less often climbed. The photos look amazing and the few trip reports i've seen speak volumes. Me likes it a lot.

Yeah, I remember climbing Elk's Tooth when I was 13, looking at that ridge, and just thinking WOW! Wasn't up for it then, but I can't remember why I didn't do it when I climbed Ogallala which was 6 or 7 years ago. Maybe weather?

I really need to get back up there. Such a beautiful area, with noone around.

flawrence

May 2, 2005, 7:07 PM
Post #20 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Many good suggestions already mentioned but my favorite class IV adventure is the north ridge on Kit Carson - well worth the hike in.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook