RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

climber_dude

Jul 6, 2002, 8:47 AM
Post #1 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

flexibility
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi, in my climbing i have noticed one thing that holds me back quite a bit is my lack of flexibility and i would like to know any training or stretches that help you out thanks

punk

Jul 6, 2002, 10:35 AM
Post #2 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

flexibility [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Enroll to a Yoga class near you

saxonz

Jul 6, 2002, 12:55 PM
Post #3 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a yoga student/trainee yoga teacher, who is fairly new to climbing(less than a year) and the climbs that involve a lot of contorting suit me (lifting a foot onto a hand hold whole your hand is still on it)but yoga will also make you strong if you choose the right style(vinyasi, iyengar, ashtanga).
It all depends on the style of climbing you want to do, but in all cases a flexible body is better than a rigid one, less injuries and you will live and climb for longer.

Partner missedyno

Jul 6, 2002, 1:00 PM
Post #4 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and keep stretching.... you'll see an improvement in flexibilty/range of mobility the more you practice.

sharmagod

Jul 6, 2002, 2:32 PM
Post #5 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I get a bad back when I try to increase my flexibility.P----- me off cause I hate not being flexible.I should take up yoga.

child_of_problems

Jul 8, 2002, 8:11 AM
Post #6 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga is sick. I do alittle through my step mom's health magazine. Hey is it exspensive to in roll. I feel weird when my bro's come over and i'm doing yoga to a woman's health mag. But guys those mags have a lot of info on stretching, being more fit in climbing wise.

Oh ya hot woman no lie.

[ This Message was edited by: child_of_problems on 2002-07-08 01:12 ]

punk

Jul 8, 2002, 11:28 AM
Post #7 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Saxonz,
I here by declare….I have the flexibility of a tree trunk with the body of John Candy and the power of Betty Boop….did I mention that I’m an OLD GEEZER too …what kind of Yoga class should I enroll to

[ This Message was edited by: punk on 2002-07-08 04:28 ]

saxonz

Jul 8, 2002, 1:02 PM
Post #8 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Punk if your details are as declared you sound like more than half the people I know who do "hot" yoga. We have a baby class starting at one week old and have had an eighty-six year old come a couple of times. You could do any style that appeals to tou as long as you have a sympathetic teacher that has a philosophy of only going to your "edge". You get no benefit from killing yourself! Or you could go to a more gentle class like Shivananda or kirupula(probably spelt wrong). If you are into getting really hot Bikram yoga, they heat the room up to 37degrees centigrade(I dont know what this is fahrenheit). Anyhoo the teacher is more important than the style, in my opinion.

punk

Jul 8, 2002, 2:35 PM
Post #9 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Mate,
BTW what u guys have to climb in Perth its in the south eastern part of OZ…isn't it? U can climb the great riff but isn't it taking the element of gravity out of the picture…..HAHAHAHA

[ This Message was edited by: punk on 2002-07-08 07:35 ]

acrophobic

Jul 8, 2002, 7:25 PM
Post #10 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yoga is the way to go... almost every stretch you do is derived from yoga!

i prefer the gradual relaxed kind, take it slow and easy and don't "bounce" stretches.

in time you will get addicted!

carnaged

Jul 24, 2002, 3:12 AM
Post #11 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stretch for about five to ten minutes BEFORE you start climbing, (it will loosen up your muscles) and when your done climbing, stretch for another five to ten minutes, to relax your muscles, believe me, it helps A LOT~

Kat

Partner philbox

Jul 24, 2002, 3:35 AM
Post #12 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to keep this on topic I`ve never had a problem with flexibility. You know the exercise of touching ones toes well I can with my knees not bent lay the palms of my hands on the floor and raise my heels off the floor to a height of about 3 inches or more. I maintain my flexibility by simply doing a few stretches before climbing.

Punk, you were wondering about climbing around Perth. Perth is on the west coast of Oz in Western Australia. They have a bunch of granite sea cliffs to climb. Most of Western Oz is a beach though. It is said that the foreshore is about a thousand miles deep inland.

...Phil...

soulclimberchick

Jul 24, 2002, 5:38 AM
Post #13 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually stretch every day and night for about five minutes. It keeps your muscles flexible and definantly stretch before and after climbing!! ~Kira

overlord

Jul 27, 2002, 4:25 PM
Post #14 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try joga and streching. it helps me.

CLIMB ON

slcclimber

Jul 27, 2002, 4:43 PM
Post #15 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stretching is So Good for your body and spirit. Not only does it keep you limber and allow you to do more than when your body is stiff, but you also will feel better, more alive with more energy. It's amazing how many more things I can do when I'm limber (this has been a reminder of something I need to work on...where can I enroll in one of those yoga classes?)

[ This Message was edited by: slcclimber on 2002-08-07 07:01 ]

jono13

Jul 27, 2002, 10:42 PM
Post #16 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, i was as inflexible as a 2 by 4 b4 i started climbing, and now im the most flexible dude in my grade, so i dunno, maybe just keep climbing

dmon

Jul 28, 2002, 1:57 AM
Post #17 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently did a university course called "Concepts of physical health and fitness", here are some interesting points I learnt about flexibility and stretching.

-don't stretch cold muscles. A 5-10 minute warm-up before will minimise risk of injury.

-when stretching, holding for 12-15 seconds will maintain your current flexibility, holding for 15-30 will increase it. More or less and you're wasting your time.

-remember to BREATHE!

-stretching should be enjoyable and help to relieve stress. If it is a chore, you either aren't breathing (see above!) or you are stretching to the point of pain. You should be stretching only till you feel the stretch.

-stretching immediately before exercise probably won't help reduce your risk of injury during that session. However, it sure won't hurt. Doing a stretching session 2-3 times per week to improve overall flexibility WILL reduce your risk of injury.

-have a set sequence of stretches that you do. For example start at the bottom and work up (or vice versa). I start by doing 3 standing leg stretches, 4 sitting leg stretches, my back, and then 4 arm stretches. In this way you don't leave anything out.

-a good rule is to strengthen what you stretch and stretch what you strengthen. This will further help with reducing injury.

There may be some more stuff that I will add when I remember it, but I hope this helps.

Duncan

climber_chick

Aug 2, 2002, 6:57 PM
Post #18 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the butterfly. :-) really get some flexation into those legs!!! sit on the ground and spread your legs apart with your feet touching and hold onto your ankles and with your elbows press your legs down. it looks somewhat like a butterfly. if you understand how i am explaning it, then you should try it, cuz it works.

barney_89012

Aug 10, 2002, 7:49 AM
Post #19 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just started stretching on my own, and i found that i can climb better. highsteps, dropknees, and just wierd moves are alot easier to do know. hopefully ill be able to touch my toes by the end of the year.

katydid

Aug 16, 2002, 7:11 PM
Post #20 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ballet and Pilates are both also excellent for strength and flexibility -- especially for strengthening those oh-so-important core muscles in your abs and back. Ballet has the added advantage of increasing your body awareness, especially about your centre of gravity, and of giving you awesome foot and ankle strength.

(And if for all you girls out there, after you've been in pointe shoes for a while, your rock shoes will feel like freakin' Birkenstocks in comparison!)

I only started Pilates about a year ago, and I think it's a lot like ballet without all the load-bearing.

There are lots of adult ballet classes available, and if you're taking an adult Ballet I sort of class, you can usually get by with sweatpants, a t-shirt, and (until you start jumping) socks. Same get-up for Pilates, but the classes can be a bit harder to find it you don't live in a major city.

Nobody had mentioned 'em, so I thought I'd pop in my 3 cents' worth.... (Compensating for the CAD to USD exchange)

Kate

climbjs

Aug 16, 2002, 7:51 PM
Post #21 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought I was the only climber who used yoga

taorock

Aug 16, 2002, 8:05 PM
Post #22 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My vote goes to Pilates. Core strength and flexibility. Anyone with low back aches will really like the increased spine flexibility and stability.

It was developed by a German named Joseph Pilates but refined by a guy named Ron Fletcher (still alive -in his 80's)who worked with Martha Graham and other dancers to give it "flowing movement" and related "percussive breathing" (which really works balance and focus).

Try to get in a course to learn some basic stuff before trying it on your own from a book.

B

yezad

Aug 18, 2002, 5:06 PM
Post #23 of 23 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got to side with ballet here. I've been dancing for about a year and it works wonders for your body awareness, flexibility and muscularity. it may not increase your flexibility as much as yoga, but it does strengthen the small muscle-groups in your hips, groin and feet which, in my opinion more than make's up for it. Add a stretching routine on top of that and you'll be like a butterfly going up those walls. keep on.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook