Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Squamish without a car
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

superfox

May 4, 2005, 12:32 AM
Post #1 of 15 (5361 views)
Shortcut

Squamish without a car  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Bridge_Bands: Mudwall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be going to Squamish in late June for about a week for bouldering, and probably a little sport. I was wondering what it is like to be there without a car. I know the boulders are all very close to the Chief campground, but what about the town/food/amenities? Also, I read that campfires are not allowed at the campsites, is this rule enforced? Campfires always seemed like one of the essential ingredients of camping.

bustloose

May 4, 2005, 1:51 PM
Post #2 of 15 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Re: Squamish without a car [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if you can get your butt to the campground, and make a friend or two, then you should be fine to hook up for a ride into Squamish for grocerias and perhaps the occaisional misty morning coffee. Last time i was there i walked in and back on a rest day, it wasn't too bad at all.

the no fire rule is strictly enforced, you're talking about an old growth forest here bro, no need to tempt fate. people hang out up by some picnic tables long into the nigts.

oh, and the boulders are IN the campground... all 4 of them...

miuralover

May 4, 2005, 2:33 PM
Post #3 of 15 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is also very common for people to hitchhike from the campground to town and back. I'd say a car is not required if you are only there for a week. You might want a car if you are planning on going into vancouver for evenings or rest days though.

axewielder

May 5, 2005, 1:12 PM
Post #4 of 15 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump.

I'm going to Squamish with superfox...if anybody has any random advice about climbing/camping in Squamish that can't be found through other means than people with experience (regulations, must-climbs, things to do when it rains, whatever), it would be great if you could tell us.
thanks.

yetanotherdave

May 5, 2005, 2:01 PM
Post #5 of 15 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the walk to boulders/town is totally do-able, just long enough to get a bit boring.

I've spent many months carless, camped in squamish, and it's no big deal.

For a while I was climbing with a bunch of guys who did have a car, but we'd walk thru town to the crags anyway cuz they couldn't afford gas :) Note that this was long before the campsite cost money...

fiend

May 5, 2005, 2:38 PM
Post #6 of 15 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chief Campground fees are $9/night, walk in sites (not far), message board (for partners if you need), toilets, water and a payphone. You'll be within easy walking distance of a summer's worth of boulders, the Grand Wall and the Apron. The Chief summit trail is right off the campground for rest-day activity. Although there are some free bivy spots, most of them are out of the way and the others shouldn't be visited unless you know where they are already. After a few weeks spent homeless there before being able to move into our apartment, my girl and I discovered that the Chief campground really is the best option.

Town is about a 30 minute walk, if you want to go see a movie then you'll want to hitch a ride up to Garibaldi although there's no real other reason for goin up there.

If you only have a week then you'll find plenty to do in the forest beneath the Grand Wall, although if the crowds are not to your liking then hook up with someone that knows their way around the North Wall areas.

In town: Valhalla Pure has a free internet terminal (for short use) and the best gear selection, Climb On has a few different products but is a smaller store, Save On is your best bet for groceries (IGA is expensive), keep an eye out for 99 cent tacos at Taco Del Mar, the library gives you one free hour of internet per day although slots fill up fast on rainy days. The Brewpub has some good and some bad beer, half-price pizza on tuesdays (half the climbers in Squamish end up at the Brewpub on tuesdays), and good yam fries.

Go to Valhalla Pure for directions and town beta. There's a map on the site but they're in the Starbucks/IGA plaza.

Do every V4 you see, they're almost all classics.

Lastly, and most importantly, don't put your pad down on those big fat banana slugs... you'll be scraping the slime off for weeks.

axewielder

May 13, 2005, 1:53 PM
Post #7 of 15 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anybody know how full the Stawamus Chief Campground can get?

Apparently we can't make reservations, and even if we could, they cost extra money...

In order to show up and get a campsite, would we have to be there at a certain time? (we plan to show up in the late afternoon/evening)

Is there pretty much always room available? Are there places where we could just go hide and sleep if there wasn't an available campsite?

I couldn't find these answers (or a park phone number) elsewhere; I suck at google.

Thanks

axewielder

May 13, 2005, 2:44 PM
Post #8 of 15 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bizzump.

fiend

May 13, 2005, 3:31 PM
Post #9 of 15 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as I know, the campground is definitely open (usually opens May 1st) and you shouldn't have TOO much trouble finding a spot.

The fees are $9/site which means as many tents as you can fit on a tent-pad. Some dirtbaggers will have six tents on one site (generally with some of the tents hanging off the side of the raised platform) so that they can share the fee. Worst case scenario, you just ask around to share a site until one comes free.

It's a self-pay system. Put your money in an envelope and then slide it in the box. The rangers check frequently and I've heard that you can sometimes throw in extra and ask for change on the envelope, but it's easier to bring exact change for at least the first few nights before you're able to get into town to get more cash.

If you absolutely cannot find camping at the Chief then go to Valhalla Pure and ask.

superfox

Jun 4, 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #10 of 15 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the info, its been really helpful. Not completely related, but how are the bugs (mosquitos, gnats, etc) in Sqamish? In the north east usually during the summer the bugs will eat you alive if you have no deet, I'm not sure if the coasts differ.

fiend

Jun 6, 2005, 2:35 AM
Post #11 of 15 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The mosquitos were out definitely out in the boulders yesterday. They aren't too bad, but they are there.

Long pants/shirt would probably be helpful around the campground at night.

enchanted

Jun 6, 2005, 3:00 AM
Post #12 of 15 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, the end of June is going to be nuts here. Our fiend, Mark was right in saying that usually the campground has room, but the RocTrip event is June 24,25and 26 and this place is going to be crawling. I'd get here early to be sure of having a spot. People are already showing up. Should be a fun time.

fiend

Jun 7, 2005, 5:08 AM
Post #13 of 15 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, forgout about el Roc Trip. Think I'll be working in Van that weekend and won't get out for it.

superfox

Jun 11, 2005, 12:29 AM
Post #14 of 15 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crap. This is not good news. We're getting to the campground the morning of the 20th. If anyone's gonna be there and wants to save us a campsite.....

fiend

Jun 11, 2005, 2:42 AM
Post #15 of 15 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The 20th is a monday or something right? Shouldn't be too bad then. You can always wander around looking to find someone to share with.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook