Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Sport Climbing and Bouldering Around Jackson Hole
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jrr

May 8, 2005, 4:46 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Sport Climbing and Bouldering Around Jackson Hole  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Northern: Priest_Draw: Triangle_boulder)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll be making a trip up to Jackson Hole later this month and wondered what the climbing is like this time of year. We're hoping to get at least one day's worth, but it looks like it's still pretty rainy.

We'll definitely be driving to Yellowstone, and I saw a bouldering site listed here called the Hoodoos. Anybody been there? Otherwise, just looking for some beta on the easy sport routes in Jackson, or maybe Idaho Falls. Hotback Shield? Rodeo Wall? Paramount Rock? Others?

outdoorsie

May 8, 2005, 5:03 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sport Climbing and Bouldering Around Jackson Hole [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in Jackson Hole at the end of June last summer, and climbed at Rodeo Wall one day. It was nice, sunny, short, short approach. A good diversion, and a set of easy, well protected sport climbs, so it fits your needs.

Blacktail Butte is definately super-difficult, but setting top-ropes is really easy, so you could always drop a rope there and just work the moves.

The rest of the climbing we did was trad/alpine, so I got nothing else. Sorry. :-)

jrr

May 10, 2005, 4:23 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like Rodeo Wall if we only get one day to climb. Thanks!

zuniteton

May 10, 2005, 5:16 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rodeo wall is great fun if you are looking for the 5.8 to 5.10 or so range Blacktail Butte is quite a bit harder- there is all sorts of fun things to do here even this time of year (when its not raining) including bouldering. It all really depends on skill level, what you may want to do is grab a copy of "Jackson Hole Sport Climbs" at Teton Mountaneering or the Teton Rock gym it can give you all the info you need- hope that helps!

shire

May 10, 2005, 5:39 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you go to Jenny Lake there are two pretty cool boulders (Cut Finger and Red Cross). Red Cross has John Gill's cool V7. There also a place near there called Boulder City and it has some sweet bouldering and short steep hard top ropes if youd like. I would go to Jenny Lake boulders and the Butte if i were you...

stirnie

May 17, 2005, 8:43 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The weather is getting better!!! Is going to be in the 70's this weekend. There are many enjoyable sport and bouldering areas around the valley. I would suggest picking up the sport guidebook for Jackson Hole, Forrest Dramis wrote it. Stop by any climbing store in town...they will have it.
Some interesting places you might check out:

Blacktail Butte: Has a reputation of being an extremely difficult climbing area which is true as long as you stick to the lower part of the butte. However, the upper part is a different story. There are many great sport routes starting at the easy 5.9 range and going up to 5.12. It really isn't that bad seeing it was where I did my first outdoor lead.

Rodeo Wall: Rodeo Wall is a great place to go if you are in a time constraint. If you have a while I would suggest another place. Or maybe a combination of Rodeo Wall and somewhere else. It seems to me that all of the routes are kind of the same thing with harder and easier variations. However, I know many people that absolutly love it.

Hoback Shield: Have not climbed there but know many who have. They love it. Large sport crag of limestone that offers many single and double pitch routes that range from 5.5 to 5.12.

Hope this helps a bit, all I can really suggest is locating the guidebook once you arrive. Hope the weather holds out!!

-Matt

tisakson

Jun 14, 2005, 1:16 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, Rodeo Wall is basically all 5.10's, good, but you can climb them all in about 3 hours.. Hoback Shield has a lot more routes and more variety. Blacktail Butte was my favorite when I was living on Jackson Lake, and lots of hard stuff, but plenty of easier stuff too. there were quite a few great routes up on the upper part of it that was usually not as crowded. Not to mention the breathtaking view of the Tetons when you are climbing there.

jrr

Oct 31, 2005, 6:41 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just remembered I wanted to update this thread... Yeah, it's been a few months since my trip to Jackson. My wife and I went to the Shield for one of our two sunny day there. It was fantastic! There were two other parties there, a trio from just across the pass in Idahoe who hadn't been to the Shield before and a few locals.

I picked up the newest guidbook in town, just published in 2005. Highly recommended. There were routes easy enough for beginners like us to warm up on, and then lots of moderate to tough routes as well. With so many routes and different features, the climbing is varied, and all fun. Lots of sun though...

We had a great time and highly recommend it. Next trip we're going to check out Blacktail Butte. Thanks, everybody, for the info.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook