RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

4gottherope

May 8, 2005, 9:12 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1422 views)
Shortcut

Flagstaff Area General Beta
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will be in Flagstaff next weekend and I am planning on taking my brother climbing. It will be his first time.

Basically I am looking for an area that I can TR or lead and set a TR for him to climb. Route difficulty should be about 5.7 or 5.8 to get him started. If I lead I would preffer something bolted so I don't have to take my gear.

Any suggestions?

climbaddic

May 8, 2005, 9:24 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1422 views)
Shortcut

Re: Flagstaff Area General Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Flagstaff's primary sport climbing area is called the Pit. The Pit has mostly harder stuffs. One 5.6, One 5.7, no 5.8, and Five 5.9 (from my memory). Everything else is much harder (upto 5.14). You can probably set up toprope by going around few places though. They have really cool Mussy Hook, so cleaning is a breeze. Have you considered Jack's Canyon instead? It is about 1.5 hours away from Flagstaff, but selection is much much better. However, you have to lead it up, but it is really well bolted though.

4gottherope

May 8, 2005, 9:54 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the feedback. I had been reading a guide book and Jack's Canyon looked much better. I noticed that the Pit was generally harder. I don't mind leading but since my brother has not climbed before I wanted some easier stuff.

reno

May 8, 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have plenty of webbing (i.e. two 40 foot lengths,) I'd offer the Oak Creek Overlook as a viable option. Lots of stuff in the .6-.8 range, a variety of techniques/moves needed (jams, crimps, stems, etc.) and an easy approach.

Pit is fun, but it's mostly a pocket fest. Jack's is similar, with the addition of some crimping. Paradise Forks is mostly jam/lock and stem.

Oak Creek Overlook is nice, but again... bring webbing. Some of the natural anchor trees are quite a way back from the edge.

If you're still around the 17th-20th and need a partner, shoot me a PM. I'll bring the rack so you can lead some routes if you wish.

phugganut

May 8, 2005, 11:02 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I agree with Reno, go to The Overlook. It's all trad leads, but they are easy to set up as a top-rope. You might not get your leads in, but your brother will probably enjoy it more. Better scenery too.

4gottherope

May 9, 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys. This sounds like a great plan. Too bad I have to head back on Sunday or I would be up for some climbing. Since my brother lives in PV I make it down there fairly often. I will PM before I come next time.

I am within 4 hours of Yosemite. If you are headed out there some time drop me a note.

John

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook