Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Multi peak traverse routes in the Teton's?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

cruxmonger

May 16, 2005, 3:11 PM
Post #1 of 6 (5899 views)
Shortcut

Multi peak traverse routes in the Teton's?  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Grand_Teton_NP)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We will be climbing the Grand the first week of June. Probably the North Face Direct and the Black Ice Couloir. We will possibly have some extra time out there and are looking into the possibility of doing some sort of multi peak traverse over two or three days. Has anyone done a route like it in the Teton's or know of some route? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

carbo

May 16, 2005, 3:38 PM
Post #2 of 6 (5899 views)
Shortcut

Re: Multi peak traverse routes in the Teton's? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never done it, but you can the Grand traverse the peaks of the Tetons.

From the Exum guides website:
In the order that the traverse is most commonly carried out, the Grand Traverse consists of Teewinot, Mount Owen, the Grand, Middle and South Tetons, Gilkey Tower, Ice Cream Cone, Spalding, Cloudveil Dome and Nez Perce. The climbing entails some moderate snow, several pitches of high quality rock climbing up to 5.8 in difficulty and seemingly endless pitches of easier scrambling and easy-to-moderate fifth-class climbing.
More here:
http://www.exumguides.com/tripplanner/grandtravitin.shtml

You can also do sections of it.

also see this thread: http://www.rockclimbing.com/topic/57997

cruxmonger

May 16, 2005, 8:24 PM
Post #3 of 6 (5899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info. That looks and sounds awesome!

cruxmonger

May 19, 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #4 of 6 (5899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone have any info on the NE Snowfields on Mt. Owen? I am wondering specifically the time an ascent will take. We are planning on doing the Cathedral Traverse (Teewinot, Mt. Owen and Grand Teton) starting on June 5. We would like to tackle Teewinot and Owen in a single day, bivy and do the Grand on day two. I'm not sure if we will be able to make it in that timeframe doing our planned routes (Emmerson's Chimney/Teewinont Tunnel on Teewinot, NE Snowfields or Crescent Arete on Owen). Anyone have any suggestions?

brianinslc

May 24, 2005, 8:35 PM
Post #5 of 6 (5899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does anyone have any info on the NE Snowfields on Mt. Owen? I am wondering specifically the time an ascent will take. We are planning on doing the Cathedral Traverse (Teewinot, Mt. Owen and Grand Teton) starting on June 5. We would like to tackle Teewinot and Owen in a single day, bivy and do the Grand on day two. I'm not sure if we will be able to make it in that timeframe doing our planned routes (Emmerson's Chimney/Teewinont Tunnel on Teewinot, NE Snowfields or Crescent Arete on Owen). Anyone have any suggestions?

I think most folks who do the Cathedral traverse start with the East Face of Teewinot, then drop down to Owen and continue up via the Koven route.

NE Snowfields starts way low towards Cascade Canyon (we climbed it from a camp in the moraine after crossing the creek). Be tough to drop all the way down from the saddle between Teewinot and Owen to do the NE Snowfields (but, thats the route we used as a decent and it worked slick, right back to our high camp). You'd lose a fair bit of vert.

I'd probably just cross over and finish on the East Ridge if you wanted something a bit different than the Koven for a finish to Owen, rather than dropping way back down the other side. East ridge is fun fun.

Brian in SLC

cruxmonger

May 24, 2005, 9:01 PM
Post #6 of 6 (5899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info. I'm most worried about linking the peaks together in a timely fashion, but we also want to do something a bit more challenging than the Koven Route (5.4). I guess we will have to see how quick things go on Teewinot and figure out if we will have enough time to drop all the way down. Your idea for the East Ridge may work out. Thanks again.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook