Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
wells creek trail wind rivers
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

oldrnotboldr

Jun 6, 2005, 8:57 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1440 views)
Shortcut

wells creek trail wind rivers  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Northern: Priest_Draw: Triangle_boulder)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone made it up the wells creek route lately, or ever?

A friend and I tried it as an alternate route to Gannet a couple of years back and got tired of the polar cold shower trying to get past the last waterfalls. Went back to tourist creek instead.

tetons

Jun 6, 2005, 9:21 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Re: wells creek trail wind rivers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh boy, that's a good one. Either very early, before the snow melts. or end of season when you can skitter by the waterfalls is about it. That is Gannett's most exciting approach, don't you think? Like, right now you could get up there, but once it heats up (if it ever does), then you'd have to wait till the runoff was over.
And Tourist --- that's no picnic either. You could go up to Peak Lake and slide over to the Mammoth Glacier and that's a pretty secure approach regardless of the season. You might see some people fishing, that's about it.
Wells is extremely seasonal and we have used some ropes at times when we missed the mark, climbing up out of the gorge. It's never crowded. Have a great trip whatever you decide!

oldrnotboldr

Jun 6, 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Re: wells creek trail wind rivers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, it was during a particularly warm spell. Got what looked like the last falls- maybe 15-20 feet. Every time I got 8 feet or so up I'd slide right off it was so wet. A park ranger asked us on the way if we'd made it. Also said "it would've been nice to see someone get through there this year."
My partner and I said we'd never go back up that way. Yep, tourist creek was not much fun- a real b%$#^%. But the views from up there were absolutely stunning.That was enough years ago to "forget" most of frustration and think of that crazy idea again! Most likely we'll look for another way up (NOT tourist).

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook