Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
News paper articles
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

texscala

Jun 9, 2005, 10:32 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1416 views)
Shortcut

News paper articles  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A year or so ago there was a 2 page article on climbing full of pictures in the daily universe. It was very obvious fromt the miss use of climbing terms and explantions of equipment that the writer knew nothing of climbing. The pictures showed climbers in tennis shoes hanging on top ropes on climbs that were rated 5.5 and 5.6.

I found an article a day or so ago in the Springville paper that again showed an inexperienced climber who was bragging about his favorite climb in Rock Canyon, The impossible dream which is rated 5.10d. The big problem was he was climbing the bolted route next to it that is rated 5.8+ to 5.9

I don't understand why news papers talk about making sure their facts are straight and then repeatedly make rock climbing out to be something it is not.

How do news papers manage to find climbers who know little to nothing about climbing. It is probably because they are the easiest ones to find (always climbing on the closest rock to the parking lot) and are more excited to talk about what a great climber they are instead of climbing.

I don't want to be in a paper, I just hate seeing these crappy articles full of incorrect info describe such an amazing activity.

What do others think?

Has anyone seen a positive article that was actually well researched that portrayed climbing correctly?

cintune

Jun 9, 2005, 10:47 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1416 views)
Shortcut

Re: News paper articles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Few newspaper reporters are very interested in the quality of their sources as long as they can get their copy in before deadline. It's a brutal business writing "lifestyle" type features, the emphasis is usually all on the glitz, not substance. From their editors' point of view it's all just padding to fit between the ads, which is where the money is. Of course there are exceptions here and there, but in general it's all considered throwaway material. The better writers who actually care about what they're doing eventually move on to magazine work.

hortisb

Jun 10, 2005, 2:38 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1416 views)
Shortcut

Re: News paper articles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't trust the article... Reporters have the tendency to twist the words of those who they are interviewing. So who knows what that climber actually said...

A few years ago, I was kayaking and a reporter approached me for an interview. They took a few pictures, asked a few questions and they were on their way. However, a month later when the article came out they had completely twisted what I said and made me look like a complete fool. I guess to the average local idiot it made the sport look interesting, but to those in the sport I looked like an idiot. The worse part of it, was when they were taking pictures they asked me to roll my kayak a few times. So when the article was run above the picture of me rolling was the headline, "Oops!", as if I was tipping my boat by accident. Local kayakers had a good laugh at me, the next weekend at the river I heard quite a few jokes.

So I think we should give the climber the benefit of the doubt....

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$16.42 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook