First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

jstan

Jun 12, 2005, 4:04 AM
Post #1 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Age Discrimination
Report this Post
Can't Post

It deeply pains me to raise this topic, but I must. In this otherwise entirely gentle and gracious website I see evidence that persons of an older persuasion are sometimes mistreated based simply upon their age. To do so is illegal. It can also present other dangers at which one can only guess. The following exerpt from the NYT should be of interest:

GERMANY: PRISON FOR 'GRANDPA GANG' OF ROBBERS Three men aged 64, 73 and 74 and dubbed the "Grandpa Gang" drew prison terms of 9 to 12 years for robbing 14 banks of almost $1.25 million over 16 years, using automatic weapons, fake hand grenades and guns dating back to World War II. The three - Lothar Ackermann, Wilfried Ackermann, and Rudolf Richter, have lengthy prison records and said at their trial in Hagen that they needed the money for their retirement because they had not been able to save. The court also heard that the oldest man had a weak bladder and often asked the getaway driver for a comfort stop.
Kirsten Grieshaber (NYT)

I trust we shall have an end to the mistreatment of people on RC.com, whatever their persuasion.

jakedatc

Jun 12, 2005, 4:12 AM
Post #2 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Re: Age Discrimination [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

mrtristan

Jun 12, 2005, 4:55 AM
Post #3 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow... I um... yeah :?:

caughtinside

Jun 12, 2005, 4:57 AM
Post #4 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Age discrimination, like other forms of bias (such as racism or sexism) aren't illegal on their own. The behavior has to be within the context of a protected relationship, such as employment, to be actionable.

Sorry grandpa. :P 8^) :lol:

Partner phaedrus

Jun 12, 2005, 5:25 AM
Post #5 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from Sport Climbing to Community.

wjca

Jun 12, 2005, 12:42 PM
Post #6 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It deeply pains me to raise this topic, but I must. In this otherwise entirely gentle and gracious website I see evidence that persons of an older persuasion are sometimes mistreated based simply upon their age. To do so is illegal. It can also present other dangers at which one can only guess. The following exerpt from the NYT should be of interest:

GERMANY: PRISON FOR 'GRANDPA GANG' OF ROBBERS Three men aged 64, 73 and 74 and dubbed the "Grandpa Gang" drew prison terms of 9 to 12 years for robbing 14 banks of almost $1.25 million over 16 years, using automatic weapons, fake hand grenades and guns dating back to World War II. The three - Lothar Ackermann, Wilfried Ackermann, and Rudolf Richter, have lengthy prison records and said at their trial in Hagen that they needed the money for their retirement because they had not been able to save. The court also heard that the oldest man had a weak bladder and often asked the getaway driver for a comfort stop.
Kirsten Grieshaber (NYT)

I trust we shall have an end to the mistreatment of people on RC.com, whatever their persuasion.

What the fuck does this story about three old guys hitting banks have to do with this website? And why did you post in Sport Climbing to begin with? I hate to say it, but I think you may be a moron.

That said, has anyone noticed all the ancients on this website that like to sit on top of their pyramids with their holier than thou attitudes? What's up with that? Their all like "When I started climbing, Moses was my belayer. But since rope wasn't even invented, he just sort of stood there and watched." I wish all those old fuckers would just hurry up and die, and stop clogging up this websit.

charley

Jun 12, 2005, 12:56 PM
Post #7 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I hate to say it, but I think you may be a moron.

That said, has anyone noticed all the ancients on this website that like to sit on top of their pyramids with their holier than thou attitudes? What's up with that? Their all like "When I started climbing, Moses was my belayer. But since rope wasn't even invented, he just sort of stood there and watched." I wish all those old f--- would just hurry up and die, and stop clogging up this websit.

Fuck you ASSHOLE!!!111 They are not all like that. None that I know are. It is statements like that, that make you one of the assholes on this site I don't care to meet. Good luck with your karma.

Partner bear829

Jun 12, 2005, 6:40 PM
Post #8 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oy! Settle down boys. Oh and Charley, you forgot to say...STFU! :lol:

I'm not sure what this article had to do with age discrimination, but okay. I'm actually in awe that the guy who had a weak bladder could get through a robbery. I know I could never and I don't have a weak bladder. Props to him on that. As for the age thing, age is merely a number, not a state of mind. So, unless you think it is age discrimination, that's your bad. Its not. Its just three guys robbing banks. Give it a rest.

Partner climbinginchico

Jun 12, 2005, 8:29 PM
Post #9 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WJCA: STFU N00b. :roll:

reno

Jun 12, 2005, 9:09 PM
Post #10 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That said, has anyone noticed all the ancients on this website that like to sit on top of their pyramids with their holier than thou attitudes? What's up with that? Their all like "When I started climbing, Moses was my belayer. But since rope wasn't even invented, he just sort of stood there and watched." I wish all those old f--- would just hurry up and die, and stop clogging up this websit.

T1, cause you managed to get a repy, but otherwise pretty weak.

Partner tattooed_climber

Jun 12, 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #11 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ouch my head hurts after thing about why this thread was started.......this site needs stipulations or something...

wjca

Jun 13, 2005, 1:33 AM
Post #12 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

f--- you ASSHOLE!!!111 They are not all like that. None that I know are. It is statements like that, that make you one of the assholes on this site I don't care to meet. Good luck with your karma.

Wow. I guess I forgot to add, "just kidding" to the end of my post. I thought I had put some scarcasm in there, but maybe not. I do hope you feel better after that vent. Take a few deep breaths, Bill. Life is too short to get that worked up over a joke.

charley

Jun 13, 2005, 1:39 AM
Post #13 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wishing someone would die ain't exactly funny.

wjca

Jun 13, 2005, 1:40 AM
Post #14 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Again, JOKE! One aimed at making fun of the original poster. And I am not sure if I should be offended or honored that I have finally been labled one of the Assholes on this site. While noone wants to be called an asshole, I am at least in good company.

Partner macherry

Jun 13, 2005, 3:57 AM
Post #15 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Again, JOKE! One aimed at making fun of the original poster. And I am not sure if I should be offended or honored that I have finally been labled one of the Assholes on this site. While noone wants to be called an asshole, I am at least in good company.

hmmmmmm good company.........i'm not too sure about that

curt

Jun 13, 2005, 5:16 AM
Post #16 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Kirsten Grieshaber (NYT)

What the f--- does this story about three old guys hitting banks have to do with this website? And why did you post in Sport Climbing to begin with? I hate to say it, but I think you may be a moron.

Who do you think you are, little man, to call John Stannard a moron? Besides having a PhD in solid state physics, Stannard was the best rock climber in the world in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Are you the best rock climber in the world now? Have you ever been? Just asking--fucktard.

In reply to:

STFU n00b. You're not worthy to carry our gear for us.

Curt

thorne
Deleted

Jun 13, 2005, 1:45 PM
Post #17 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

f--- you ASSHOLE!!!111 They are not all like that. None that I know are. It is statements like that, that make you one of the assholes on this site I don't care to meet. Good luck with your karma.

Wow. I guess I forgot to add, "just kidding" to the end of my post. I thought I had put some scarcasm in there, but maybe not. I do hope you feel better after that vent. Take a few deep breaths, Bill. Life is too short to get that worked up over a joke.

Being familiar with your online persona, the sarcasm was obvious. Good stuff.

Bummer so many missed it.

overlord

Jun 13, 2005, 1:50 PM
Post #18 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i got the sarcasm too. maybe some ppl have recessive sarcasm gene :P

wjca

Jun 13, 2005, 2:53 PM
Post #19 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Kirsten Grieshaber (NYT)

What the f--- does this story about three old guys hitting banks have to do with this website? And why did you post in Sport Climbing to begin with? I hate to say it, but I think you may be a moron.

Who do you think you are, little man, to call John Stannard a moron? Besides having a PhD in solid state physics, Stannard was the best rock climber in the world in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Are you the best rock climber in the world now? Have you ever been? Just asking--f---.

In reply to:

STFU n00b. You're not worthy to carry our gear for us.

Curt

Reread the original post. It makes no sense. While I'm sure he was and still is a hell of a climber, his online posting could use some work.

And whilst on your journey to rediscover your sense of humor, carry your own damn gear (unless you're so old that you can't manage). I got your n00b right here.

dingus

Jun 13, 2005, 3:09 PM
Post #20 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That said, has anyone noticed all the ancients on this website that like to sit on top of their pyramids with their holier than thou attitudes? What's up with that?

We just can't help it. See, we ARE holier than thou, for starters. And we're smarter too, as evidenced by making it to our advanced stages. You for example, haven't a prayer of seeing 40, so its like, why bother even talking to you? Its so much, wasted air?

But I'm a tad more windful than some of my more curmudgeonly 2-finger typist brethren. And I have so much more hot air to waste anyway.

I hope that helps. Actually, I don't give a fuck, but you get the jist.

DMT? (I'm sometimes forget...)

Partner wideguy

Jun 13, 2005, 3:19 PM
Post #21 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I for one greatly value the wisdom and experience these "older" climbers have and and eternally greatful that they are so willing to share that with noobs like me.

That said, the "Why back in my day we used to free the Nose in our tennis shoes, in the snow, uphill both ways, with nothing but dental floss for safety, stopping every so often to drop trou and slot our ACTUAL nuts to rest on. That's why all our balls hang SOOOOOO low now" stories ....I dunno, some are just hard to believe. :lol:

dingus

Jun 13, 2005, 3:55 PM
Post #22 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That said, the "Why back in my day we used to free the Nose in our tennis shoes, in the snow, uphill both ways, with nothing but dental floss for safety,

You ever climbed Ahab wideguy? Just to the right of Moby Dick on the base of El Cap, basically the 1st pitch of Muir Wall?

Robbins free soloed it in Tretorn tennis shoes, back in the day. He actually did a shit load of climbing in floppy tennis shoes, and HE LIKED IT THAT WAY!!!111

DMT

Partner wideguy

Jun 13, 2005, 3:59 PM
Post #23 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
That said, the "Why back in my day we used to free the Nose in our tennis shoes, in the snow, uphill both ways, with nothing but dental floss for safety,

You ever climbed Ahab wideguy? Just to the right of Moby Dick on the base of El Cap, basically the 1st pitch of Muir Wall?

Robbins free soloed it in Tretorn tennis shoes, back in the day. He actually did a s--- load of climbing in floppy tennis shoes, and HE LIKED IT THAT WAY!!!111

DMT

LOL! If I was even remotely worth the effort you would find my resumè includes nothing even close. I've seen pictures though, so I'm pretty sure I could do it. 8^)

Especially if some OLD guy could. :lol:

shakylegs

Jun 13, 2005, 4:08 PM
Post #24 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Who do you think you are, little man, to call John Stannard a moron? Besides having a PhD in solid state physics, Stannard was the best rock climber in the world in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Are you the best rock climber in the world now? Have you ever been? Just asking--f---.

I think you're the only one who knew that jstan is John Stannard. I would never had made the connection.

thorne
Deleted

Jun 13, 2005, 4:16 PM
Post #25 of 82 (8618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I think you're the only one who knew that jstan is John Stannard. I would never had made the connection.

Considering this is now known, if I was the offending party, I'd be fairly apologetic.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook