RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

jeffers_mz

Jul 12, 2002, 8:59 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1357 views)
Shortcut

Grade VII, anyone?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, I'm exaggerating, it's probably more like a VI+. Looking to open/explore a very remote, inaccessible area in the San Juan range. At least 8 major faces from 1000' to 2600', plus a nice looking FA up a ridge to a 14er, 60 to 90 degrees vertical, rock quality unknown. Bear country, possible griz.

Ingress will require a ~300' rap after packing over a 12k pass from a 4wd only TH at 11k. Three egress options, FA, a long ugly slot to the wrong side of the divide, or jugging back out the way we came in.

Looking to do an *easy* recon in Sept. One or two weeks, up over the pass and set a base camp, then 3 or 4 walk-ups to 13k ridge systems to overlook the valley in question. Two of the ridges may require rope work for short sections.

Pix at:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jeffers_mz/lst?&.dir=/J.+San+Juans+Sept+2001/1+Cow+Creek&.src=bc&.view=t&.begin=1&.order=&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jeffers_mz/lst%3f%26.dir=/J.%2bSan%2bJuans%2bSept%2b2001/1%2bCow%2bCreek%26.src=bc%26.view=t

Map at:

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?S=14&T=2&X=87&Y=1316&Z=13&W=2

I'll be coming across I-70 from the midwest, if that doesn't work, then if you live or can get to a major market airport, I can fly you to somewhere we can link up, since I work for an airline.

If interested, e-mail me at jeffers_mz@yahoo$.com, minus the dollar sign, or reply here.

[ This Message was edited by: jeffers_mz on 2002-07-12 02:05 ]

alpinerocket

Jul 15, 2002, 1:33 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1357 views)
Shortcut

Grade VII, anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would be interested in looking at these possibilitys. John

woodse

Jul 15, 2002, 1:59 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doubt you'll see a griz in the Uncompahgre, which peaks specifically are you looking at doing? Some of your pics look like they're right out of yankee boy basin. Give me more info, sounds cool.

woodsE

ps: I grew up in Ouray county

pss: For those of you wondering how to pronounce "uncompahgre" it is Un-come-paw-grey

wigglestick

Jul 17, 2002, 8:05 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am interested in what you are planning to do too. I did the North Buttress of Mt. Sneffels a few years ago. We did the route and then traversed the ridge to the east which connected 3-4 other smaller peaks. We approached from the north rather than Yankee boy basin via a 9 mile hike. It was an excellent trip and I would love to go and do some more stuff in that area.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook