RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

Partner amber

Jun 19, 2005, 4:59 AM
Post #1 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

'kodos' filter sounds more appropriate. aka - tim rules
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i'll save my normal loquacious posting for something that's more meaningful to me than this, and i'm sure that it was implemented as an internal joke of sorts - but the auto-filter on "kodos" leads to the impression of rc.com management being exclusive, immature and, in general, really effin lame.

i know and like a lot of the people who run the show around here, but users should be treated with respect by the administration of this site, regardless of said user's online dickheadedness, particularly if the mission remains for the management and administration of this site to be taken seriously by the climbing community at large.

he's been banned, and i suspect that future postings under different names will be handled accordingly - there's no reason to bring the rest of us into the little rc.com vs kodos pissing match via auto-filters.

i sincerely hope that this decision will be re-evaluated because it comes across really wrong.

Partner tim

Jun 20, 2005, 3:41 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Re: 'kodos' filter is lame [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't feel like rewarding some asshole who creates a lot of pointless work for me. To that end, I refuse to publish any alter ego of his.

It's really effin lame that he feels like he must behave as he does.

But I'm not going to have the first result in a Google search for his alter ego be a page on this site. And that's the real reason for the filter. If I can come up with a more subtle means of excluding him from Google's index, then I'll do that instead.

Partner amber

Jun 20, 2005, 5:48 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you're smart. hack google. ;)

seriously though, i have an understanding of the level of effort that's invested in maintaining the site and can appreciate not wanting to have someone who's gone out of his way to piss on most of the people here, particularly the administration of the site, to be highlighted via an automated indexing system - but also understand that i genuinely like rc.com and am saddened when i see administrative decisions that inadvertently give the impression that the site is a joke.
surely there's a better compromise. what's driving the indexing? if it's his post count or hits to his profile, what about just changing his username to 'dr k' or changing the filter to 'dr k' instead of 'an unpleasant individual' - it still acheives the same end without seeming like the adminstration is going out of their way to mock a banned user.

though, i think it's silly that i can opt-out of having the word 'fuck' censored but i have to circumvent 'k o d o s' .. and no, i'm not asking that my filters be reduced. :) i'm just trying to point out the way that it comes across to people who arent privy to all of the conversations around here.

.. and let's be realistic, it's not like i'm exactly his biggest fan - i'm much more concerned with the impression that the auto-filter lends about the administration than with defending kodos. i feel like i did a decent job of stating my position on that in the recent TR thread about him.

dirtineye

Jun 20, 2005, 4:15 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The problem with filtering out you-know-who's name is that you also cut out all reference to a range of behaviors that he sort of made famous.

For example, it really should be a part of the internet lexicon to say, " I've been K-o-d-o-s-ed." OR, "So-and-so is behaving in a k0d0sian manner.", or"That guy exhibits true k-o-d-o-s-i-a-n behavior.".

Hell, he'll probably wind up as a case study in some psychology text. You might be inhibiting important research, hehehe!

maculated

Jun 20, 2005, 5:36 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dirtineye, if you think his behavoir is in any way novel, you need to get out. I'm on a few other message boards, etc, and there's always one like him on there.

dirtineye

Jun 20, 2005, 5:53 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dirtineye, if you think his behavoir is in any way novel, you need to get out. I'm on a few other message boards, etc, and there's always one like him on there.

I don't think he is truly novel, I think he is extreme. He's caused quite a ruckus on 4 boards that I know of, and happily I only visit three regularly.

I don't spend as much time looking at climbing boards as you do, but from what I've seen, no existing message board cumudgeon rises (or sinks) to the level of Kodos. When he's on a tirade, he clearly out paces his competition. Not that that is any sort of honor hahaha.

BTW my idea of getting out would be going outside and climbing, not looking at message boards.

Partner amber

Jun 20, 2005, 6:38 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't spend as much time looking at climbing boards as you do, but from what I've seen, no existing message board cumudgeon rises (or sinks) to the level of Kodos. When he's on a tirade, he clearly out paces his competition.

This is precisely what led to him getting banned, and why Tim feels strongly about not having his drivel highlighted through automated indexing tools. Personally, I dont really give a rat's ass if the nefarious dr k is truly mentally unstable or if he just enjoys being an internet asshole - either way, I'm happy to no longer be subjected to his abusive little tirades and headgames popping up in damn near every thread on this board - I just think the filter is giving the wrong impression; though, I respect the reasons why it was put into place.

If the administration feels strongly about keeping kdos name off the boards, then I'd settle for searching out a balancing point where the filters dont give the wrong impression to outsiders and possibly the ability to opt-out of it with my "i like it raw" setting, so that I can see his name along with the rest of the profanity that I type.

Again, my impetus for this thread is the fact that I know and like most of the folks who run the show around here, not to mention the fact that I've found rc.com to be a decent way of networking with other climbers, meeting new partners, and making new friends, so it bugs me when decisions inadvertently set the site up to be laughed at erroneously by outsiders and detractors.

In reply to:
BTW my idea of getting out would be going outside and climbing, not looking at message boards.
Hi pot, I'm kettle.

Kristin has been on this board over a year longer than you, but barely has 1000 posts more than you, a lot of which are trip reports and discussions related to maintaining this site.

:drama:

dirtineye

Jun 20, 2005, 7:04 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I don't spend as much time looking at climbing boards as you do, but from what I've seen, no existing message board cumudgeon rises (or sinks) to the level of Kodos. When he's on a tirade, he clearly out paces his competition.

And this is precisely what led to him getting banned, and why Tim feels strongly about not having his drivel highlighted through automated indexing tools.

Personally, I'm just interested in finding a balance where the filters dont give the impression that the administration is being lame because, well, I know and like most of the folks who run the show around here.

I dont really give a rat's ass if the nefarious dr k is truly mentally unstable or if he just enjoys being an internet asshole - regardless of his agenda, I'm happy to no longer be subjected to his abusive little tirades and headgames popping up in damn near every thread on this board.

I just think the term "K-o_-d-o-s-ed", or "K-o-d-o-sian behavior" is too good to ignore.

For instance, if I said Amber got "Ko-do-sed" in that thread, everyone would pretty much know what it meant.

No need to highlight his drivel, but defining a behavior is another matter.

And believe me, if not for injuries, I'd have spent a lot less time posting over the last two years. Brace yourself for six more weeks.

Partner amber

Jun 20, 2005, 7:43 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just think the term "K-o_-d-o-s-ed", or "K-o-d-o-sian behavior" is too good to ignore.

For instance, if I said Amber got "Ko-do-sed" in that thread, everyone would pretty much know what it meant.

No need to highlight his drivel, but defining a behavior is another matter.

And believe me, if not for injuries, I'd have spent a lot less time posting over the last two years. Brace yourself for six more weeks.

dirt, you are absolutely missing the point here.

1. tim made it pretty clear that the word would be filtered. as such, i'm hoping to find a striking point for a different word substitution and/or being able to opt-out of the filter all together.

2. my beef with the filter has nothing to do with the person or personality that it represents - neither of them are really things that i find worth my time. rather, it's about the impression that it leaves for people who dont know, and probably dont really care about, the online drama that led to the filter.

3. if you said that i got "Ko-do-sed" in a thread, i wouldnt know or care what you meant by that. i suspect that i'm not the only one who feels that way.

-a. caring about such things, in my mind, completely submerges you into the category of 'you should really spend less time on the internet' - further highlighting the hypocrisy and lack of necessity in the petty dig towards someone who is genuinely more concerned with improving herself as a climber and a writer than being cool on the internet.

4. there are already plenty of words to define the behavioral pattern of someone who enjoys causing conflict and being abrasive/condescending for sport.

- a. these words are already part of a near-universal lexicon so there's really no need to coin a new word from the soul-wretching depths of "look at me - i'm on the internet".

- b. in fact, i would argue that such canted speech would serve to encourage the very same ideal that i feel the current auto-filter condones - "look at those dorks"

dirtineye

Jun 20, 2005, 8:03 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I suggested that they change the word to Drscrewloose a long time ago, because its more descriptive.

If I wanted to make a dig, it would not be subtle.

Mac said, "you need to get out", meaning look at more web sites.

I said my idea of getting out would be going climbing, not web surfing.

To you that may be a dig, so be it.

You want to blow something out of proportion, be my guest, but that is exactly how Kodos tends to react, and you can do it by yourself.

As for "caring about such things", wake up, it is the internet, it's mostly meaningless, which is why most of the people I climb with participate minimally or note at all in climbing web sites.

maculated

Jun 20, 2005, 9:16 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

::shrug:: thanks for defending me, Amber, but not really needed.

Ironically, DirtCurt, I doubt you spend less time on these message boards than I do. Let's start a pissing match over it, that could be fun.

:boring:

dirtineye

Jun 20, 2005, 9:25 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
::shrug:: thanks for defending me, Amber, but not really needed.

Ironically, DirtCurt, I doubt you spend less time on these message boards than I do. Let's start a pissing match over it, that could be fun.

:boring:

I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too!

I've been stuck at home working on this stupid elbow for 6 weeks, looking at 6 more. You could at least make it entertaining.

What would you like to piss over?

En Garde!

Partner happiegrrrl

Jun 20, 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^ Is he being pissy, posturing or pointlessly prodding for pure personal pleasure? Poor fellow....clearly he's suffering with Kodos by Proxy Syndrome....

Partner tim

Jun 20, 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hesh up, y'all...

I've modified the filtering konstant to be something reasonable. It's also a lot smarter about bbCode and other such nonsense. Until I am reasonably confident that *only* people who have filtering turned off and are fully logged in can deactivate it, I am going to leave it as-is.

Meanwhile, I was able to tear myself away from the Intarweb for long enough this weekend to knock out a grade IV 5.10c . Maybe I should craft another filter that adds a 'buy this guy a beer' button for people like Mike Strassman that put up really bitchin' long routes like Ghost Rider. :-)

dirtineye

Jun 20, 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
^ Is he being pissy, posturing or pointlessly prodding for pure personal pleasure? Poor fellow....clearly he's suffering with Richard DiCredico by Proxy Syndrome....

Richard DiCredico by Proxy Syndrome!

PERFECT!

I knew you were good for something. Didn't think you could satay away for 5 hours either, LOL!

Now that you ahve your thesis topic, you need to get busy working on your psychiaty PhD. Or maybe sociology would be quicker and more to the point?

Partner amber

Jun 20, 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TIM FUCKIN RULES.

thanks for the filter change, and i vote yay on the beer button - having a means to help track the numbers of beers that i owe to whom would be GREAT!

... and congrats on the send! i spent all weekend studying for the LSAT but managed to get some climbing in during the week, so i suppose it balances out.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook