Jun 21, 2005, 7:56 PM
Post #1 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Missing scout found alive
Report this Post
Can't Post

At least one good thing happened today.

http://news.yahoo.com/..._re_us/missing_scout

Looking forward to hearing how it happened. Glad to hear it, though.

wjca

Jun 21, 2005, 9:26 PM
Post #2 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Re: Missing scout found alive [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not up on all the badge requirements, but I think this kid definately qualifies for the "Lucky Little Bastard" badge.

overlord

Jun 22, 2005, 1:37 PM
Post #3 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and hes troop leader (or whatever you call them over there) get the "i seriously fucked things up" badge.

Partner wideguy

Jun 22, 2005, 1:52 PM
Post #4 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you heard how they found him, right?

They brought Michael Jackson in to track his scent.

"MMMM...Scared 11 yr. old boy WOOO HOOO hoo!!

Partner macherry

Jun 22, 2005, 2:03 PM
Post #5 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

coffee on the monitor

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Partner wideguy

Jun 22, 2005, 2:16 PM
Post #6 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

"MMMM...Scared 11 yr. old boy WOOO HOOO hoo!!"

coffee on the monitor

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Start the day with a smile. Glad I could help. 8^)

Partner taualum23

Jun 22, 2005, 2:17 PM
Post #7 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Out of the freaking park, dude. Nice one.

dookie

Jun 22, 2005, 3:03 PM
Post #8 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OMG chad, that's classic!!!

In reply to:
and hes troop leader (or whatever you call them over there) get the "i seriously f--- things up" badge.
the kid wandered off on his own while going to meet a friend, I don't think his troop leader or camp counselor had anything to do with it. Glad to hear he made it! That's quite a stint to go without food or water.

Partner bear829

Jun 22, 2005, 4:13 PM
Post #9 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He actually hid from the rescuers. :roll:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8313299

Partner j_ung

Jun 22, 2005, 4:28 PM
Post #10 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nunley, who had been following search crews on horses, said Tuesday that Brennan "said he saw the horses but was scared of the people, didn't want to come out because he didn't know if they were scary people."

Let's see... he wanders off a road and stays missing for four days because he didn't want to approach strangers. How about changing that Lucky Little Bastard Badge to a Dumbass Badge? :roll:

Parents take note. Tell your kids that if they're lost in the woods, sometime around day three without food and water it's OK to approach strangers.

fingersonfrets

Jun 22, 2005, 5:37 PM
Post #11 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I nominate him for the "I'm such an idiot that I hid from rescuers, therefore wasting thousands of volunteers' time, and causing my family worry and sorrow" badge.

qdiggety

Jun 22, 2005, 5:42 PM
Post #12 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kid, you dumb. He's not exactly the brightest turd in the proverbial punchbowl of life.

What did he figure all those folks were doing out there? I'm pretty sure they were probably calling his name at some point. It's not like they were out there collecting for the Red Cross.....

Sheesh, some people's children.

Partner wideguy

Jun 22, 2005, 5:49 PM
Post #13 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Real easy for all you folks who don't have kids to chime in but unless you've seen the full depth and scope of the "Stranger Danger" kids are taught you have no idea.

Our school teaches kids not to even trust people in uniform unless you see them in an actual police station because a pervert can get a fake police uniform. Even a fake car.
Don't take rides from your friends' parents unless you parents tell you it's OK and only on an instance by instance basis.

Plus, at 11 the kid probably didn't fully realize that he was IN trouble. He was on a road after all. If he just keeps hiking he'll get SOMEWHERE won't he?

The kid was scared and he was doing EXACTLY what he was taught.

wjca

Jun 22, 2005, 5:56 PM
Post #14 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Nunley, who had been following search crews on horses, said Tuesday that Brennan "said he saw the horses but was scared of the people, didn't want to come out because he didn't know if they were scary people."

Let's see... he wanders off a road and stays missing for four days because he didn't want to approach strangers. How about changing that Lucky Little Bastard Badge to a Dumbass Badge? :roll:

Parents take note. Tell your kids that if they're lost in the woods, sometime around day three without food and water it's OK to approach strangers.

Maybe it was Michael Jackson on the horse. I'd have stayed in the bushes too and take my chances with the whole hunger and thirst thing.

wjca

Jun 22, 2005, 6:04 PM
Post #15 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Real easy for all you folks who don't have kids to chime in but unless you've seen the full depth and scope of the "Stranger Danger" kids are taught you have no idea.

Our school teaches kids not to even trust people in uniform unless you see them in an actual police station because a pervert can get a fake police uniform. Even a fake car.
Don't take rides from your friends' parents unless you parents tell you it's OK and only on an instance by instance basis.

Plus, at 11 the kid probably didn't fully realize that he was IN trouble. He was on a road after all. If he just keeps hiking he'll get SOMEWHERE won't he?

I bet this is more so in Salt Lake City (I think that is where he was from). I lived out there for a while and seems like there is a disproportionate number of preditors out there. Rarely did a day go by where the news reported some kid coming home from school and getting approached by some dude wanting to give her a lift, or another women was raped. Maybe that's the only crime happening in SLC thus the focus. I don't know, it just seems like there was alot of it.

shakylegs

Jun 22, 2005, 6:14 PM
Post #16 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe it was Michael Jackson on the horse. I'd have stayed in the bushes too and take my chances with the whole hunger and thirst thing.

Now, I know it's a lot to ask, what with everyone telling you to at least try to be funny, but c'mon, this is weak.
Here's a clue: try originality also. This joke has already been made by wideguy. Simply rewording it doesn't make it funny.
Keep practising. You might get it some day.

dookie

Jun 22, 2005, 6:15 PM
Post #17 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not to mention the kid was severely dehydrated, I'd imagine he was a bit dillusional at times and that probably helped make him even more scared...
I have to say that when 'lost' - as he must have realized he was after spending a night out in the woods - stranger or not, your main focus should be getting the hell out of the woods after a while... not on being scared of what 'might' happen if you approach a stranger out there.

onbelay_osu

Jun 22, 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #18 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow that is really fucked up....right now i am working as a wilderness guide for 8-10th graders in the four corners area and that is my biggest fears is having one of those little bastards running away.....that boy scout is needs to be ripped of all his badges and given the i am fucking retard badge...i say that as a former boy scout too!

mother_sheep

Jun 22, 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #19 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Thank you!!!!

kachoong

Jun 22, 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #20 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
wow that is really f--- up....right now i am working as a wilderness guide for 8-10th graders in the four corners area and that is my biggest fears is having one of those little bastards running away.....that boy scout is needs to be ripped of all his badges and given the i am f---ing retard badge...i say that as a former boy scout too!
That's a pretty damn harsh response! Would you really do that? What if he was your kid?

thorne
Deleted

Jun 23, 2005, 12:10 PM
Post #21 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Last night I was watching a news program on this story. The anchor pointed out that each year in the US there are 800,000 reports of missing children. He then stated that each year there 115 bonafied cases of children being abducted by strangers. Lots go missing. Few are actually taken.

They went on to discuss how we, as a society, are a little too paranoid, making something that's relatively unlikely seem like a viable threat. And let's not overlook the fact that we're teaching our children to assume the worst of all strangers.

One "expert" they had on was talking about teaching our children how to recognize potentially bad situations, instead of "don't talk to strangers" period.

In the case of the boy in Utah, he had been hiding from people who were calling out for him by his name :shock:

Partner wideguy

Jun 23, 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #22 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They went on to discuss how we, as a society, are a little too paranoid, making something that's relatively unlikely seem like a viable threat. And let's not overlook the fact that we're teaching our children to assume the worst of all strangers.

One "expert" they had on was talking about teaching our children how to recognize potentially bad situations, instead of "don't talk to strangers" period.

In the case of the boy in Utah, he had been hiding from people who were calling out for him by his name :shock:

And again, I say as a parent of young children, this means nothing. these kids are taught not to even trust that. After all, how hard would it be for some deviant to have found out this kid's NAME after it was spalshed all over the news? "Come here Bobby, your mommy Cynthia and daddy Steve of 37 Cranberry lane told me to come find you"

I agree that maybe we're too paranoid but that doesn't change what has likely been drilled into this kid's head since kindergarten and that is "DO NOT TRUST ANYONE BUT MOMMY AND DADDY. PERIOD."

Like I said before, my son came home from FIRST GRADE and told me "Dad, did you know bad people will sometime dress up like the police and steal children?" He's in third grade now and the message continues to be reinforced. His own grandmother can't dismiss him from school without showing picture ID and me or my wife first telling the principal face to face that she has our permission to do so. and then it's pnly allowed on a case by case basis.

It's sad that this kid was lost and scared longer than he needed to be. It's too bad that hundreds of volunteers spent an extra day bushwacking. It's too bad these kids are taught absolutes instead of how to back intelligent decisions, but fact is, they aren't. And for a bunch of armchair heros to sit here and call the scared, lost 11 yr. old kid stupid and moronic and idiotic is cruel and unfair to a child who more than likely was doing EXACTLY what all the grownups he trusts have taught him to do for the last 11 yrs. of his life.

Oh and as for the news stats, yoiu and I both know there are lies, damned lies and then statistics.

In reply to:
According the FBI’s National Crime Information Center (NCIC)

* 85% to 90% of the 876,213 persons reported missing to America’s law enforcement agencies in 2000 were juveniles (persons under 18 years of age). That means that 2,100 times per day parents or primary care givers felt the disappearance was serious enough to call law enforcement.
* 152,265 of the persons reported missing in 2000 were categorized as either endangered or involuntary.
* The number of missing persons reported to law enforcement has increased from 154, 341 in 1982 to 876,213 in 2000. That is an increase of 468%.

that'd be enough to scare the crap out of me.

Alot of us here on this board grew up in very different times. If you're 30+ you grew up in a world that was sooo much simpler than today. And if you don't have kids under 10 yrs. old now, you have no idea.

thorne
Deleted

Jun 23, 2005, 1:21 PM
Post #23 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two things about your stats:

- How many of those reported missing were actually abducted?

- How many of those actually abducted were children?

These missing person reports show the number of times people thought a crime may have been committed, which is completely different from actual crimes committed.

I don't fault the kid in this case. He did what he was taught. My issue is with the chicken little midset of our society as a whole.

And I agree that life in the US is scarier than it was 30 years ago. But do we make it seem scarier than it actually is?

Partner macherry

Jun 23, 2005, 2:15 PM
Post #24 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thorne, i agree with you, kid's have to recognize potentially bad situations rather than cry chicken little every time someone strange comes near them.

And not to hi-jack the thread, but most abusers and child molesters are someone familiar to the child........which is more of a danger than an absolute stranger.

but in the kid's defense, i read another story about the incident and the mother said he was immature for his age and her words: " slow, but not mentally delayed". This too could add to the kid hiding in the woods.

shakylegs

Jun 23, 2005, 2:39 PM
Post #25 of 35 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but in the kid's defense, i read another story about the incident and the mother said he was immature for his age and her words: " slow, but not mentally delayed". This too could add to the kid hiding in the woods.

Making him the model scout.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook