RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

aggiejon

Jun 24, 2005, 4:08 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2861 views)
Shortcut

Munter hitch with prusik as an autoblock for the second
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had this idea, might have been done though. I have seen people use a munter hitch tied off the anchor to belay a second. I was thinking that if you had something to hold onto the brake end hanging down the wall you would essentially have an autoblock. So I was thinking a prusik connected to an opposed anchor that protects against the upward pull of the brake line. All the belayer would need to do is pull the slack through the prusik. In the event of the fall the prusik would hold onto the brake line, and the munter would stop the fall. I have not done this because i am not sure of teh stregth of a prusik, since it is ussually just for bodyweight, and also, in the case of the second falling, the belayer would have a pain removing the tension and lowering. Whats your opinion, interesting idea or dangerous? And yes I know, don't trust everything I hear on the forum, and I will preemptiovely lable myself a nOOb.

flipnfall

Jun 24, 2005, 4:14 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2861 views)
Shortcut

Re: Munter hitch with prusik as an autoblock for the second [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing to remember about the Munter hitch, is that it is hard on the rope sheath. Ropes are prematurely worn down by rubbing against their own surfaces. However, what you are proposing would work. A Prusik is not a fail-proof friction "knot," so although it will work in most cases, there are times where it may slip. You must be ever attentive to a Prusik.

When trying to lock of a rappell or belay, I've routinely tied a loop knot and clipped it to my belay loop on my harness. This will prevent any possible slipping found in a Prusik.

I think everyone should get familiar with the Munter hitch because there are times where I've dropped my rap/belay device and needed to rap down using the Munter. It has proven to be a most useful thing.

GT

wings

Jun 24, 2005, 4:17 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I'm understanding you correctly, then this method would be awkward as it would require 3 hands to use effectively ... one to pull the climber's end of the rope, one to pull the brake end of the rope, and one to slide the prussik.

I suppose you could do this as a two step thing ... normal munter operation, but an extra step of one hand on the brake end while the other hand slides the prussik up.

The strength of the prussik here would not be an issue as you only have to simulate a brake hand.

Not sure why you'd want to go to all this trouble though. The munter already holds falls quite well without much effort, and it's easy to tie off.

- Seyil

slobmonster

Jun 24, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not sure why you'd want to go to all this trouble though. The munter already holds falls quite well without much effort, and it's easy to tie off.
Yup. You can experiment if you like --being creative and utilizing unconcentional methods is a long tradition-- but I think you'll find out that the prussik gets sucked up into the Munter itself, once loaded. Unless you keep the prussik several inches down the brake strand, your (presumed) setup will transform into a major cluster.

Learn and use the Munter, by all means, but also learn how to tie it off with a mule knot.

aggiejon

Jun 24, 2005, 4:49 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mule knot? never heard of it. Although that might be the same thing as what I have called the muinter tie off.

aikibujin

Jun 24, 2005, 4:53 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Mule knot? never heard of it. Although that might be the same thing as what I have called the muinter tie off.

http://wac.icomm.ca/...knots/mulemunter.jpg

reg

Jun 24, 2005, 5:34 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

buy a reverso - great piece of gear

vegastradguy

Jun 24, 2005, 6:25 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how about learn to rappell properly with a tube style device and just use a regular autoblock?

K.I.S.S.-- don't make it any harder than it has to be.

and, if your second is that gripped, go down first (after setting them up) and put 'em on a fireman's belay.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook