Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Hueco Tanks in late January?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dlintz

Jun 25, 2005, 7:04 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1858 views)
Shortcut

Hueco Tanks in late January?  (North_America: United_States: Texas: West_Texas: Hueco_Tanks_State_Historic_Site)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know it's a long way off but I've gotta plan this stuff in advance (work schedules). A friend and I are looking at spending the last 2 weeks of January 2006 in Heuco. I'm looking for some basic info regarding the place.

I'm confused about the whole camping and guided tours deal. Do most people stay at the Rock Ranch? Are there other options?
How does the guiding thing work (Park vs. other guides)? What's the deal with the 10 walk-ins per day? Are these people with guides also? Will I need to make reservations in advance or is that time of year pretty open?

Any information about where to stay and what plans I need to make ahead of time would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

reprieve

Jun 25, 2005, 7:27 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1855 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hueco Tanks in late January? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

get Matt Wilder's guide book. It's expensive, but freaking awesome, and it has a really good description of the scene as far as getting in the park goes. There are two options for camping - the rock ranch, and in the park itself. There will be plenty of climbers at both. The rock ranch is more of the party scene, and seems to be a generally younger crowd. The campground in the park has nicer amenities and seems to be more laid back. Either way, you'll probably be happy - most of the people I met down there in the park and at the ranch last January were pretty cool. If you're planning your trip this far in advance, I would advise making reservations, as that will save you a lot of work when you're down there.

I'll be down there myself in January. Despite what it says, I'm from Missouri, so it will be good to see some more midwesterners. Good luck

fiend

Jun 25, 2005, 8:17 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are ten (not 100% on that number) walk-in spots left open for people to show up and get into the park without a reservation. If you get there early you should have no problems getting a slot. I have a few friends who were there for extended periods of time and never made any reservations.

There are free tours to be had if you enquire at the park office but I believe they're shorter than the paid guided tours that run from the Rock Ranch. The Rock Ranch tours run much longer (most of the day I think) and guarantee you entrance into the park on busy days.

Sorry I can't give better info, my gf and I were there in the off season and were getting free tours from people who normally did the Rock Ranch tours and having them last all day. It was hot, but it's nice to have the place to yourself.

reprieve

Jun 25, 2005, 8:59 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's some more info on getting into the park:

Walk ins: guaranteed 10 per day, when they open the gate (around 8:00 I think). If you want to get one of those 10 spots, plan on waiting in your car for a couple hours at the gate.

If some reservations have not been filled by noon or so, they start letting people in the park to fill those spots. You'll have to wait in your car for a while at the gate as well to get those spots.

Commercial guided tours run from the rock ranch - $15 bucks per person, but you're guaranteed a whole day of climbing on the restricted access areas. Supposedly there are volunteer tours as well.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$40.46 (10% off)
$233.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook