Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Need beta on Sawtooth climbing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dirtbag101

Jun 27, 2005, 5:35 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1788 views)
Shortcut

Need beta on Sawtooth climbing  (North_America: United_States: Idaho: Sawtooth_Range: Elephants_perch)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know how long of an approach it is to either The Elephants perch or the Finger of Fate (time or distance) from the parking area? Also which one is better?
Thanks

ddriver

Jun 28, 2005, 7:22 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1788 views)
Shortcut

Re: Need beta on Sawtooth climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll start the ball rolling. I've been to each only once or twice and this is strictly from memory.

The approach to the Elephant's Perch starts with a boat ride across Redfish Lake. The boats are a concession and run frequently and on demand, cost about $5 for the round trip. From the far dock the hike into Shangri-La is about 3.5 miles and maybe a little over 2,000 vertical. So, that's probably 2 to 2-1/2 hours depending on load. Trail conditions are good. The only hiccup is finding the correct stream crossing and orienting properly after the crossing. Its fairly easy, just get the goods before going.

The approach to the Finger of Fate involves a few miles of somewhat rugged driving to the trailhead, so take your truck. The hike is 5-6 miles. The first say 4 miles is relatively flat on good trail. Then, you go steeply uphill to a plateau, traverse over, and look for the best looking "cross-country" route. There is a line of least resistance and a climbers trail leading to the base. I'd say this approach with rucksack is 2-1/2 to 3 hours, but you might do better.

Which one is better?

We did the The Book (5.8) on the Finger of Fate as a day route and that is highly recommended. It is comparable to the Petite Grepon, though not as much vert (~600 ft) nor quite the dramatic scenery. Nonetheless, a very good route on a cool formation. There are a few more routes there, but the climbing is definitely limited relative to the Perch.

The Elephant's Perch is more like a chunk of Yosemite that got lost. You can get in a dozen pitches (~1200 or more ft) on high quality rock at generally much higher standards than the Finger. The Mountaineer's Route is the only route to my knowledge that is as easy as 5.9. Perhaps there's another to its left, but with 30+ routes on its flanks, you need to be solid on 5.10/5.11 trad to get up very many climbs. There are other options nearby, however. There is a shorter pillar (name forgotten), the Goat's Perch, and the Chipmunk's Perch at hand. They offer more mountaineering style rock routes but on somewhat lesser quality rock.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$44.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook