Forums: Climbing Information: Climbing History & Trivia:
Bouldering History Along 108 and Sonora Pass areas?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

mungeclimber

Jun 30, 2005, 3:29 AM
Post #1 of 9 (8723 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering History Along 108 and Sonora Pass areas?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Posted this on supertopo with no results...
Thx for checking...

Looking for names of problems, when they may have been done, ratings, etc. Any help is really appreciated. I've talked to Dimitri (forgot his last name), Hope W, and Grant H briefly, so I didn't get any specifics written down as I should have done. But would love to get some stories down and record as best as an oral tradition will allow who has done what.

I doubt this post will yield anything, but there are a fair number of Yos climbers that hit 108 from time to time. And I know I'm not the only one that knows where the corridor of cracks is. :)

Much appreciated,
Rob

sandstoner

Jun 30, 2005, 3:12 PM
Post #2 of 9 (8723 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bouldering History Along 108 and Sonora Pass areas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

that place is soft!!

mungeclimber

Jun 30, 2005, 8:05 PM
Post #3 of 9 (8723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hrm? I ferget.

Sal?

likely

paddy

Jul 26, 2005, 7:02 PM
Post #4 of 9 (8723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't know about bouldering but I remember some cool cliffs on the road to Donnell Reservoir that had some good climbing

paddy

Jul 26, 2005, 7:04 PM
Post #5 of 9 (8723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't know about bouldering but I remember some cool cliffs on the road to Donnell Reservoir that had some good climbing, we use to climb up there in the mid-1970s, but never did get around to climbing on the wall that rises out of the reservoir.

mungeclimber

Aug 9, 2005, 6:15 AM
Post #6 of 9 (8723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Paddy,

I typed up a response, but the site seems to have eaten it. So a quick response is... thx, did you climb with Don Potter or Dave Hardin or any of those folks back when...

Also, did you do any FAs at the time? Would love to get trip reports, photos, beta, etc from the 70s to put up on the site. www.sonorapassclimbing.com

Thx!

paddy

Aug 10, 2005, 11:16 AM
Post #7 of 9 (8723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mungeclimber/Honemaster

Never climbed with Potter but I ran in to him a couple of times. I use to live in Big Hill then Cedar Ridge (going to Columbia JC) and would climb regularly with Claude Fiddler, Jim Keating, Dieter King, Hank Ward (we all lived in a mate's house in Cedar Ridge).

As far as FAs go, some of the climbs we did had apparently been climbed before as there was webbing and stuff (this was on/off the fire trail/dirt road going to the reservoir) and I'm pretty sure we did some FAs as well. Now I haven't been there since 1976 or so, and my memory isn't the best. I know I did one climb that started from a pillar and was primarily face climbing about 90 feet long or so if memory serves me. Also there was a 'stand alone pillar' about 30 feet high or so that had a overhanging crack that must have been around 5.10b that we cleaned and climbed.

Also, down in the Stanislaus River canyon there were some interesting cliffs with short routes on good granite, and I remember doing this one dog leg crack that was around 5.9 or so. I'll check out the website. Cheers.

skifreak

May 23, 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #8 of 9 (8723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

u might want to get a hold of steve weldon...he and nick seto (sp) were very active in the 70s......i climbed lots o stuff with them way back but cant seem to remember to many details.......steve would also know most of potters stuff as they did a bunch of stuff together back then...pretty sure steve and nick did one of the early ascents if not the first of donnels wall....the one out of the water

hank

_SLY_

Apr 14, 2010, 2:23 AM
Post #9 of 9 (6124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mungeclimber] Bouldering History Along 108 and Sonora Pass areas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey munge, sorry for the old bump, but what, if anything, did you find out about Donnell?

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook