Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Mount Olympus near Echo Cliffs
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

slamurai

Jun 30, 2005, 11:18 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2992 views)
Shortcut

Mount Olympus near Echo Cliffs  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Echo_Cliffs)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm thinking of having a go at Mt. Olympus and was hoping someone had some beta about the quality of bolts. Can you top out and enjoy that exposed summit? Are there rap anchors on the summit? any info would be appreciated.

blitzkrieg_climber13

Jun 30, 2005, 11:31 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2992 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mount Olympus near Echo Cliffs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if the bolts are as good as echo cliffs they should be super but i dont know anything about the rap anchors.

vivalargo

Jun 30, 2005, 11:36 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Olympus is a blast. When we first put up those routes we hammered off any lose stuff but it's still not granite so be ready for that. We installed super long bolts so they should be good. Rap anchors are on top. Routes on the main face are not too hard--hardest is 5.10d, others less, but exciting. As you move around, down and right, you get to some hard stuff. 1st route is 12b, 11b to the right and to the right of that one, Hercules, which seems lose and scary but is actually pretty solid and VERY exciting.

This is a great cliff to spend a morning at.

And if you're there, make sure to trop down the road a piece and check out the routes at Top Hat, desceribd in the new Anderson guidebook. Those are really good routes and the location is sensational--like the top of Half Dome.

Rock it out!
JL

slamurai

Jun 30, 2005, 11:48 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Largo! that's exactly the beta I was looking for. I can't wait to climb it.

tecais

Jul 5, 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, it's a fun place with good bolts:
http://members.impulse.net/...ais/conclusion1.html
The easiest way to summit is the 5.7R up the licheny ramp with one runner after the overhang. It's all in Louie Anderson's guide. By the way, there's a sling hanging above the cave on Hercules right now and the ropes on the summit to rap off the top bolts are pretty old and faded. You might consider backup. It's getting a bit hot, so start early and enjoy.

vivalargo

Jul 6, 2005, 1:51 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, that brough back old memories to see those photos posted by Tcais. I actually think Medusa (5.9) might be the best route on that whole formation. Hercules is probably the most exciting. That climbing always spooked me, thinking all of those knobs were gonna bust off.

The climbs at top Hat and Pico Raqualita, both near Olympus, are really worth doing as well. Top Hat's location is flat out incredible.

JL

slamurai

Jul 6, 2005, 3:04 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We had a great time climbing it on Sunday. I lead Medusa first as suggested, it's a fun route for sure. It definately has an adventurous feel to the climbing. There was a lot of loose rock on the 10s. We tried to clean 'em up as much as possible. By the time we bushwhacked over to Pico Raquelita it was so hot we called it a day. Next time I'm headin' straight for Top Hat.

ilikepargo

Nov 20, 2012, 2:42 PM
Post #8 of 8 (640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slamurai] Mount Olympus near Echo Cliffs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mt. Olympus was the first place I ever climbed outside. In addition to just being a n00b and not knowing anything, the hike in seemed longer than it was supposed to, and there was a TON of stuff coming out of the wall. Belayers really needed to wear helmets. I came away hating the place, though I've been told since then that I should give it another chance.

I've been out to Boney Bluff a couple of times recently, trying to knock off some of the easier stuff out there. (The Prophet is next on my list. Europa too, I guess.)

The other thing that has my interest is Pico Raquelita. The write-up in the book sounds interesting, and this seems to be the season when it'd be most weather-friendly. Has anyone been there recently? Does anyone want to try it? Is the final approach still visible?

And why are Pico Raquelita and Top Hat not included in the "Routes" section here?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$7.16 (10% off)
$62.06 (10% off)
$174.56 (10% off)
$193.46 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook