RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

ryan112ryan

Jul 6, 2005, 5:48 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Ayers Rock (Uluru) australia.....anyone ever climbed it
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so i just got back from a month trip in Australia, where i went to Ayers Rock and hiked up it. for those of you who don't know anything about it, its this one solid piece of rock that’s about 4 miles in circumference and is located in the middle of Australia. its considered sacred ground to the aboriginals, but of course they didn't have a problem in turning it into a tourist attraction, drilling holes to set a handrail and paint a dotted white line path. has anyone ever climbed Ayers rock? would you get arrested or something if you did (assuming you didn't set bolts or mar the rock). some pics for you all:

from about 20 miles away
http://img.photobucket.com/...an112ryan/ayers2.jpg

walking path up to the top
http://img.photobucket.com/...an112ryan/ayers1.jpg

top of the rock
http://img.photobucket.com/...an112ryan/ayers3.jpg

cruze

Jul 6, 2005, 6:27 AM
Post #2 of 11 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ayers Rock (Uluru) australia.....anyone ever climbed it [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, actually the Aboriginal people of central Australia (in particular the Anangu people) consider Uluru to be very sacred. Their official word is that they would prefer it if people didn't climb the rock by any means. They have leased the area to Parks Australia til 2084 and it is my belief that that organisation is responsible for the "white dots" and rails that you talk of. Quite a few of my friends that respect this belief have travelled all the way there and chosen not to climb the rock, but instead just look at it rather than conquer the massive 1000ft mountain.

In fact I have heard that they would prefer it if women didn't walk around the whole rock either. This, apparently sexist approach should be taken in the context of their culture and in light of the fact that other areas in Australia are denoted as women's areas.

On the other hand I have heard of some people operating covertly to actually climb the rock by more unique means: something by the name of "Kangaroo Tail"...

jcshaggy

Jul 6, 2005, 7:59 AM
Post #3 of 11 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I reckon they'd cut your balls off if they catch you.

Partner phaedrus

Jul 7, 2005, 5:03 AM
Post #4 of 11 (2914 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Trip Reports.

Partner philbox

Jul 7, 2005, 5:40 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Re: phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Noddy Lockwood put a route up quite a few years ago by way of a stealth aproach to the FFA.

mtnbkrxtrordnair

Jul 7, 2005, 5:59 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, Ayers rock is the biggest monolithic piece of rock on the planet. The Chief in Squish is #2. In the second picture you posted, the rock looks a lot like the slickrock in Moab. I'd love to ride my mountain bike down that. As for climbing, chalk would look really shitty on that, so leave it alone.

atropine

Jul 7, 2005, 7:10 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's actually the second biggest monolithic rock - Mount Augustus (also in Auz) is bigger.

It's just begging to be climbed - we tried to go up twice & got turned back because 1: some guy had heart problems on top & there was a rescue 2: too 'windy' (pussies).

I'm all for respecting culture - western culture tends to say that if there is a bloody great big hill then you should get to the top of it & take a look. Fair enough not to damage anything or take the piss tho. A guy there tried to compare it to walking all over the top of Saint Pauls Cathederal (there are steps & an observation gallery...)

Came away feeling slightly disappointed - the Olgas are way better & just a short drive away.

mtnbkrxtrordnair

Jul 7, 2005, 8:56 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the Olgas are way better & just a short drive away.

Iv'e seen pictures of the Olgas - they look way cool, but I also heard climbing is illegal there. Is it true? If not how's the climbing?

jcpace

Jul 7, 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's probably a good idea to leave the rock alone. It doesn't seem like it's all that good of a climbing area, anyway.
I respect the Aborigines, and it's too bad to learn of their struggles with language vitality and cultural assimilation. They remind me much of our Native Americans.

mega

Jul 8, 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Though I doubt there legal climbing in the Olgas, it is an extraordinary hike - much more interesting then hiking around Ayers rock. I did not climb Ayers/Uluru out the respect thing. At the vistor center, they show a video discouraging climbing the rock and in the video is the most awful stereotype of an overweight loud-mouth Texan/American bragging about how he just hiked up the rock. I figured they showed that so Europeans and other visitors would not want to be like the loud-mouthed American and not want to climb the rock. Not sure if they still show the video, that was 5+ years ago.

swimming_dragon

Jul 8, 2005, 1:13 AM
Post #11 of 11 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing Uluru by any route is very uncool. Would any of you take a dump on El Cap, wipe your arse with the stars & stripes, then fling it off the edge onto the heads of a climbing party??
That would be about the same level of mindfulness and consideration as climbing Uluru.

We now return to your regular programming :twisted:

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook