Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Finally made it to Footsteps of northern California!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

grizz814

Jul 11, 2005, 9:03 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2339 views)
Shortcut

Finally made it to Footsteps of northern California!  (North_America: United_States: California: Northern_California: Footsteps)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I finally made it to Footsteps and let me tell you, it was worth the effort. The approach was a hanus 1/2 mile of bushwhacking, machete wielding, through stinging nettle, thistles, vines, trees, poison oak, etc. but the climbing was awesome and the setting unmatched. There is a wide spot on the south bound shoulder near mile marker 13.5 just north of the view point. There you will see the rock stack sitting near the ocean and the trail down to them. You can also check out www.geocities.com/bigfootcountryclimbing/footsteps for more info. Enjoy!

learnin2climb

Jul 12, 2005, 1:46 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2339 views)
Shortcut

Re: Finally made it to Footsteps of northern California! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Was it worth the trip? What was the quality of the rock? I will be up that way this weekend and thought I might check it out.

Do you know anything about this place?

http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=7401&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=current

click on the image for a blown-up view. There are trails leading down to it. Its got to be atleast 200ft tall.

grizz814

Jul 12, 2005, 5:05 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was worth it despite all the poison oak and stinging nettle. The rock quality varied from spectacular to choss. We didn't even explore the entire area so there is lots left to discover. Great bolts and anchors with a wide variety of moderate ratings. I really don't know anything about Split Rock. Looks cool though. Where exactly is it located?

learnin2climb

Jul 12, 2005, 8:36 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is the poison ivy and nettles around the belays or just on the trail to get there?

Not sure were split rock is, looks like in the redwood national park. I was just scanning the pictures to look at footsteps, and came across it.

PaulHumphrey

Nov 28, 2007, 8:41 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [learnin2climb] Finally made it to Footsteps of northern California! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Split Rock is an area of high religious importance to the Yuroktribe. Local climbers' word of mouth tradition is to leave it alone. There are many other cliffs we climb on that also are considdered sacred, but we refrain from climbing Split Rock as a gesture of respect.

Totheleft-C4

Apr 30, 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [PaulHumphrey] Finally made it to Footsteps of northern California! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea you deffinately do not want to climb split rock. It is hard to miss. you have to climb up the bank to it and there is a trail down to it from above. There is a big crack through the entire thing and it is Sacred. I went to lost rocks today and when we stopped right before Split Rock to head back up I looked at it and saw that someone had set up a top roping rig on the rock itself and it really made me mad because it is someone like that that is going to get this place shut down so please try to stay away from it. If you go down Flinthead trail Split Rock is the furthest south rock you can get to without having to climb up and over it.

(This post was edited by Totheleft-C4 on Apr 30, 2008, 10:23 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook