Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
East face Cloud peak
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

fireguy

Jul 18, 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #1 of 7 (5326 views)
Shortcut

East face Cloud peak  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Eastern_Wy_: Bighorn_Mountains)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looking for route info on East face Cloud peak

lapotka

Jul 25, 2006, 2:17 AM
Post #2 of 7 (5326 views)
Shortcut

Re: East face Cloud peak [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WTF, I'm going to climb this face, I've been searching for 7 years for info on this amazing wall. I went to a local gear shop in Buffalo, "sports lure" i think and the guy who sold me a USGS topo told me it was a death wish. I think it may be one of the best untapped walls in America and I'm so tired of people shirking it, I don't care what it takes, I'm taking 2 weeks supplies and camping next to the glacier at the bottom and climbing that sucker.

stefanohatari

Jul 25, 2006, 3:43 AM
Post #3 of 7 (5326 views)
Shortcut

Re: East face Cloud peak [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Scott Backes has been on it. E-mail him at his website alpinementoring.com. Talk to Vance at Wild Iris in Lander. He knows some folks who climb out of Ten Sleep who have apparently been on the East Face. Iceisnice was also interested and looking for info. Old issues of AAJ? I lust after this face and the others (Bomber, etc.) every time I drive to the Winds. PM me if you decide to go out. I'm certainly not the climber for these big walls, but I'd like to spend some time at the base and see what's what for a future trip. Sounds like time for an expedition.

Steve

newrivermike

Jul 4, 2012, 12:01 AM
Post #4 of 7 (3417 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stefanohatari] East face Cloud peak [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What wall is this? It's in the Twin Lakes Cirque around Cloud Peak. (not my photo) I am having a hard time resisting the lure of these walls. I'm sure they've been climbed but I can't find any info, anywhere.

I guess even if it wasn't, it would feel like a first ascent right?

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1088505594047891728MIaVGB

Any more current info on climbing in the Cloud Peak Wilderness? Seems like a largely overlooked area similar to Mt. Hooker.

zxcvbnm

Jul 4, 2012, 2:57 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newrivermike] East face Cloud peak [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an old copyright 1977 Bonney guide book titled The Big Horn Range. It says this of the east face of cloud peak: "No recorded climbs on this route although many have looked at this great face. It is 1/4 mile wide and 900 feet of high angled smooth stone with insufficent piton cracks. To climb it would require bolting up 2/3 of the face.
Fred Beckey: "Too flawless of piton cracks for a decent route""

It may well be probable by today's standards. From a black and white picture it looks like there are features and some buttresses that could be taken advantage of. I don't know anything more than that about this wall.
The book also has some detailed routes on the west cirque that are around 5.6 A2

newrivermike

Jul 4, 2012, 3:03 AM
Post #6 of 7 (3390 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zxcvbnm] East face Cloud peak [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, thanks for that description from the old guide. Sounds incredible.

zxcvbnm

Jul 4, 2012, 3:10 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newrivermike] East face Cloud peak [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

your welcome. There is also some info on climbs in the bighorn range over at summitpost. There's a page on blacktooth and this about woolsey: http://www.summitpost.org/mt-woolsey/325419 (be sure to read the comments on that page.)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook