RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

realdeal39

Jul 20, 2005, 8:33 PM
Post #1 of 2 (723 views)
Shortcut

White Whale on the Left Book
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wondering if taking a climber who I would describe as an intermediate novice onto the 5.7 classic White Whale on the Left Book at Lumpy Ridge would be advisable. I would be leading the entire climb. I have no doubt as to her ability to do the route but I was just curious about things like exposure, belay stances, angle of climbing, etc. It would be her first multi-pitch climb. I was told the mountainering school takes first time climbers up it so I figure my g/f could handle it to. My big question in belay stations. Are they big ledges or am I going to have to set up belays on small edges. I don't think she's be down for that. I'm just trying to get a few more opinions here so far I have 3 go for it's. Thanks

davelwang

Jul 20, 2005, 8:50 PM
Post #2 of 2 (723 views)
Shortcut

Re: White Whale on the Left Book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have seen middle aged men with no climbing experience hauling themselves up white whale..... I think she would be ok. It might be good to warm up on a 5.6 to get her used to to smearing techniques (if she is primarily a gym climber), but I think if she has any climbing experience at all she should be ok.

It's a great route for beginners I think.

As for belay ledges, at the end of pitch one and pitch two there exist comfy ledges for belay, nothing hanging or scary. The climb can be done in 2.3 pitches so I think at every belay stance it would be pretty comfortable

Dave

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook