Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Sequoia Climbing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

climbingcowboy

Jul 18, 2002, 12:29 PM
Post #1 of 10 (8488 views)
Shortcut

Sequoia Climbing  (North_America: United_States: California: Western_Sierra: Sequoia_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just got back from an awesome trip and thought I'd share some info. I climbed for a week and only ran into four climbers, if your tired of the crowds oyu should check it out great climbing up to grade IV, mostly clean with some aid stuff around. The weather was great a few late afternoon T-storms but not enough to bail routes. Camp Ridge area is closed for Falcon nesting crystal wall however is open this will remain in effect through Aug. Moro Rock has great climbs. PM if you want info on the area or email me climbingcowboy @msn.com

PS: WARNIG!!! The bear trouble is extremly high right now, we camped in Dorst Campground and chased the same two bears out of our camp up to 4 times a night.

[ This Message was edited by: climbingcowboy on 2002-07-18 05:33 ]

Partner tim

Jul 18, 2002, 12:51 PM
Post #2 of 10 (8488 views)
Shortcut

Sequoia Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget Kings Canyon... sick approaches and 2000' walls where the only other people you'll see are the guys on the trails with pack trains.

I'm not kidding. At all. (Oh, and don't underestimate Charlotte Dome... it's in 50 Crowded, but it ain't, and it's not as easy as it looks from the pictures). GREAT backcountry area.

radistrad

Jul 18, 2002, 1:39 PM
Post #3 of 10 (8488 views)
Shortcut

Sequoia Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey climbingcowboy,
welcome to this site, I think you'll find it a nicer place than the other place you posted.
I have always wanted to head down to the Sequoia Kings canyon areas, they look great.
Are there any specifice routes you did?
I am into trad and I love long routes that can be safely protected, any suggestions in the area?

cgranite

Nov 19, 2003, 12:32 AM
Post #4 of 10 (8488 views)
Shortcut

Where [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

were is crystal wall? And most of the big wall stuff? what road

nefarius

Nov 19, 2003, 12:58 AM
Post #5 of 10 (8488 views)
Shortcut

re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Crystal Wall is right off of highway 180. It's about 1 1/2 miles off of the highway. There are some really nice routes on Crystal Wall and Camp Ridge. Lots of aid on Moro Rock. Basically, there is killer climbing all throughout the park. And not only will you not see climbing crowds, you will not see crowds, period! Not even in the summer. Definitely a nice change from Yos every now and then. But, at the same time, nice to live between them both.

There is an extensive guidebook which covers this area. It is called "Southern Sierra, Sequoia Kings", I believe.

cgranite

Dec 17, 2003, 4:30 AM
Post #6 of 10 (8488 views)
Shortcut

Re: re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to know some beta on the angel wings? Maybe the South Arete. what are the routes like?

guyzo

Dec 25, 2003, 12:15 AM
Post #7 of 10 (8488 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Sequoia Nat Park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lots of climbing in Sequoia, IMHO ...chimney rock is the best roadside stuff. Castle Rock Spire is the most awsome thing to climb in SNP. Angel Wings is a 2 day hike and stories of real choss granite abound. You will find more bears than climbers, so know how to do a good tree hang.

tadam2000

Aug 19, 2005, 9:10 PM
Post #8 of 10 (8488 views)
Shortcut

Re: re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I want to know some beta on the angel wings? Maybe the South Arete. what are the routes like?

Here are links to some TRs on the Angel Wings, one on the Rowell Route and the other a backpack trip past it. Altogether there are about half a dozen routes, I'm told. Be prepared though; the 16 mile hike in from the trailhead is no picnic. I did it some 30 years ago and I'm convinced that's what ruined my back for the rest of my life. A week's worth of supplies plus wall gear adds up to one hell of a load. If I ever decided to un-retire, get in shape, and try this sucker again, I think I'm going to get helo'd in! :lol:

http://www.climber.org/TripReports/2002/850.html

http://chayden.net/Sierra94/Sierra94.html

ms.guppy

Nov 8, 2007, 4:14 PM
Post #9 of 10 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tadam2000] re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

im thinking about heading up next month. should i be worried about the road condition, with snow and all?

jackory1114

Mar 5, 2008, 3:55 AM
Post #10 of 10 (6762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ms.guppy] re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you woke up early to go, you probably run into light traffic. I was heavy in traffic the day i went. If it's in winter, you can worry about snow. I went in the summer so I really don't know...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook