Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

rigolim

Jul 25, 2005, 3:07 PM
Post #1 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Chicago Climbers Thread
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

I am a newbi climber from CT moving to Chicago, I would like to create a thread where people can announce when and where they are climbing and see if anyone would like to come, this is what I and a friend of mine have been doing in CT. I mainly do bouldering now since I know nothing of the knots but I am still learning and wouldn't mind any advice or criticism. If anyone sees a guy bouldering in a gym with a tattoo on his left wrist or a wrist band on his left wrist covering the tattoo my name is Mike or Rigoli pick your poison. Thanks hope to start a community
-Mike Rigoli

Partner taualum23

Jul 25, 2005, 3:11 PM
Post #2 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chicago Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post

Hey Mike...

Just a little hint. This is "community" which is the cess pool of rc.com.
Try re-posting this in the "partners" section of the site.

Take it easy,

Josh

Partner macherry

Jul 25, 2005, 3:12 PM
Post #3 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

macherry moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post

macherry moved this thread from Community to US - MidWest.

rigolim

Jul 25, 2005, 3:27 PM
Post #4 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

cesspool eh? Well its been moved somehow someway so we'll see what happens from here. Thanks

dripdry

Jul 29, 2005, 2:12 AM
Post #5 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'm not sure if you'd be up for it, but right now a buddy of mine and I, plus a third guy and a few others on occasion, head up to Devil's Lake every weekend to climb on Sundays. We don't boulder per se, though the area we're interested in right now has some bouldering (Pseudo Hawk's Nest on the East Rampart).

We go the Libertyville Sports Complex during the week. We're *always* happy to meet other climbers, and to teach and help out, as our "group" consists of climbers with a couple years of heavy expereince as well as ones who are just starting out. We've worked on some specific projects lately, so if you can bring your own rope to drop that would be ideal, but either way I'm sure we could accommodate. If you've got a good attitude and like to have fun climbing, let me know!

***This goes for anyone in the Chicago area. If you can make it up to the 'burbs by 7am, have a harness and ATC, and can proffer up a couple bucks in gas money, I'm happy to drive and have a house you can safely leave your vehicle at just off highway 94 (I can only take 1-2 more people right now unless you want to stow yourself in the trunk). We might start camping on Saturday nights and getting on the rock at dawn instead of driving 6-7 hours in one day.

rigolim

Jul 29, 2005, 2:47 AM
Post #6 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

If that offer still exists in August gimme a heads up I'll be able to then. ANd I don't mind shelling out some bucks for gas it's the least I can do.
-Rigoli

kaymanism

Jul 29, 2005, 2:54 AM
Post #7 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I too would love to join. I just moved here from Ohio about a month ago. I miss the short 4 hour drive to the new and the 5.5 hour drive to the red. I would love to check these places out. Even better...I drive a Jetta TDI which on road trips gets about 65 mpg so a trip there and back would be nothing in my car...something to think about...you can contact me under the name kaymanism on ANY of the major chat services...

look forward to hearing from you guys ... i miss the outdoor climbing for sure

wendella

Jul 29, 2005, 2:57 AM
Post #8 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey Mike,

Congrats on your impending move. Have a box of Frangos and a Crave Case for me!

:D Wendy

adi

Jul 29, 2005, 4:07 AM
Post #9 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey Guys,
I'm intrested too. I have gone to DL a few times. It will be fun to have a big group to go along. I stay in Schaumburg. Let me know how you guys are planning for this weekend.
-- Adi

rigolim

Aug 9, 2005, 12:59 AM
Post #10 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'm in Chicago/Evanston (technically) if anyone wants to go climbing please shoot me a message, I still need to get a harness anybody knows where an EMS sports or something is in this city. Take it easy folks I hope to be climbing sometime soon. Peace
-Mike

landgolier

Aug 9, 2005, 2:01 AM
Post #11 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'm moving to Hyde Park in a month (GF is going to UChi and I'm following along for the ride) and I'm looking to get up to the lake and to SoIll as well. Also happen to drive a hyper-efficient jetta TDI, though 65 mpg is a bit optimistic, that would win the monthly fuel economy competition on tdiclub.com most months. I have a place in western KY that is about 1-1.5 hours from a lot of the soill stuff, so it's a good base camp for weekends, though it is farther south. Not there yet, but hoping for a good fall at the lake and maybe some nice winter weekends in soill :D

jaesian11

Aug 9, 2005, 2:08 AM
Post #12 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

hey, i go to school in downers grove, IL and i would love to join the party to climb at Devil's Lake. Ill pitch in for some gas money too. I've only done top roping and i have my own equipment (for the most part), harness, shoes, lots of carabiners, belay device, and a rope, but my experience is limited as i've only been climbing for a little over a month now. I will be back in the illinois area at the very beginning of september, and I have Sunday's free.

Also, regarding Devil's Lake, does anybody know if there are bolts already bolted into the rocks so that a top rope can be set up? or do we need to set up an anchor rope and a top rope off of that?

Thanks everyone.
Jae S

alias17

Aug 13, 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #13 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

i am up for a DL trip. i can pitch in money and whathaveyou. the only problem is that i am starting school again soon so it will have to be a weekend trip.

corpse

Aug 13, 2005, 1:11 AM
Post #14 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Also, regarding Devil's Lake, does anybody know if there are bolts already bolted into the rocks so that a top rope can be set up? or do we need to set up an anchor rope and a top rope off of that?

Yes, you need to setup your own anchor - there is only 1 or 2 bolts in the entire park - they are generally highyl frowned upon. Many climbs can have anchors of just slunb trees and rocks. Having even a basic set of nuts and hexes will do wonders.

kiteandclimb

Aug 15, 2005, 2:24 PM
Post #15 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
kiteandclimb

Top Roper

35 posts added
since 24 May 2005
Online Posted: 16 Jun 2005 20:09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The nice thing about DL is you really don't need much to climb 85% of the climbs if you're top roping. You just need to know what to use where. Some long webbing - about 8 pieces (1-40ft, 2-30ft, 2-15ft, 3-10ft) to get around any large boulder or nearby tree, some nuts/hexs (get a set) and a couple cams (one large, one med) and you're pretty much good. You should be able to set any rope with that. Of course you need some locking biners to double up at the anchors and rope, as well.

You can even get an extra piece of webbing and probably save yourself the money for a cam. This would get you three anchors. Of course you still need the screwlock Ds and locking biners for the rope. But you really don't need much for a basic DL toprope "rack".

Last weekend while walking the top I saw some guys climbing on only two anchors with non locking biners (only one on each anchor!) with a single sling balanced between them. I don't think this is very smart at all!

I would suggest that even if you think you know what you're doing but never had anyone show you, or are new, ask around and learn from everyone you can. Three anchors, three webbings, three screwgate Ds or two opposing non-screwgates for the anchors and two opposing biners on the rope and have your buddy check your placements as a minimum. Lets be safe out there!

Partner euroford

Aug 15, 2005, 2:39 PM
Post #16 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

ya know, it would be damn fun to get Chicago's limited amount of climbers in one place sometime. preferably a location which serves alcohol. like maybe some joint in bucktown er something.

what yall think? get together for some beers and spray sometime?

lish444

Aug 15, 2005, 3:02 PM
Post #17 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

How about Northside Bar & Grill? 1635 N Damen.

bertalmio

Aug 17, 2005, 6:16 PM
Post #18 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

thats a good idea. we need to get an email list together. i'll take responsibility to set up a time/place if everyone sends me thier emails....

aaron

bertalmio@hotmail.com

corpse

Aug 17, 2005, 6:35 PM
Post #19 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I think a mailing list is yet another place to have to deal with - thats what some of the stickied threads are for in this forum (or new threads).. Plus, new memebers won't necessarily know about it. If anything, try to con the powers of rc.com to create a Chicagoland sub-forum, that would be nice and beneficial.. Or better yet, a "Devils Lake/Chicagoland".. But even then, I don't think there would be enough threads to warrant it - especially since there are threads going back to july 15th on the same page - it's not hard to miss a thread.

Partner euroford

Aug 17, 2005, 6:49 PM
Post #20 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

i think a mailing list is a pretty good idea. a sticky thread gets too long and cumbersome, and poeple don't check it. if its an email list poeple get something more immediatly noticable, which would be much better for organizing anything.

pm sent.

adi

Aug 17, 2005, 6:51 PM
Post #21 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

My mail id is
singadi@iit.edu

Add me into the list.
Adi

jaesian11

Aug 18, 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #22 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

jaedrugs@yahoo.com I'll be back in Chicagoland, IL around 8/31 or so (downers grove to be exact).

Partner neuroshock

Aug 18, 2005, 5:02 PM
Post #23 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

don't want my email on no list, but post up the details here and i'll try to make it.

In reply to:
ya know, it would be damn fun to get Chicago's limited amount of climbers in one place sometime
i assume you meant the rc.com'ers in chicago, right? cause there are a LOT of climbers in chicago who never heard of or look at this site. i can think of 40 off the top of my head.

Partner euroford

Aug 18, 2005, 7:41 PM
Post #24 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

yeah, or whatever, it would just be fun to have some climbers get together around here.

bertalmio

Aug 18, 2005, 8:19 PM
Post #25 of 115 (16548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

it seems to me that a common them around chicago is lack of partners, lack of accessibilty to crags, and working too much to make the weekend trip to DL/RRG. i was hoping that if we could get an email list together, and send out an email to meet for drinks, we could discuss some of these issues. the chicago climbing community is an odd one - and very fractured. there are those that solely climb in gyms and compete, some sport climb, some of us live only for trad trips out west, while others enjoy going to DL or RRG for whatever: bouldering, TR, or trad. We are sorely in need of some organization. I know i don't just speak for myself when i say that lack of a consistent partner is the main reason i don't go climbing enough. and i just think that enough of us could get together at some point, there would be a much higher probability of getting out more often. i'm not saying that we should have weekly meetings or anything like that, but having some type of climbing "club" wouldn't be too far-fetched. almost every other sport around here does. Hell, there's even a cricket club at U of C!! and climbing, by it's very nature, is a social, or at least a 2-person activity. we had a climbing club at my undergrad, USC, and it worked out great. i think i'd be a good thing to meet other people who are into climbing, and especially interested in climbing outside, other than the people at my gym. i'm not even advocating something SO organized -maybe just meet up every couple of months, see who can plan some trips, have some beers, meet some people and i think it would lead to everyone climbing more.

the problem now, as i see it, is that even though it seems there are always people looking for rides to DL or somewhere or looking for a partner, i don't think things ever really happen all that often. part of the issue is that this is the internet and climbing with someone (or just meeting up with someone) who you only know from email can be akward or uncomfortable, even for someone as desperate as me. and i've actually climbed with some of you after meeting on the internet, but of course it was akward at first. but if we agree to all meet up at some point, and do so on some semi-regular basis, i think it would be a lot easier process for everyone.

unfortunately, we don't live in boulder or seattle were we meet others climbers at school or work and where we can climb after 5pm and be home for dinner. we live in chicago where the nearest climbing is 3hrs away and the nearest GOOD climbing 7hrs. it seems like a lot of us tend to work a lot, or at least have family obligations that make even a weekend trip tough sometimes. i think being a little more organized and at least meeting face-to-face can help overcome some of these obstacles. we could carpool, share gear, share campsites, split gas money, etc.... and i'm not even talking about having this be some big climbing club that rotuinely takes out a bunch of newbies and does a lot of teaching. i'm strictly for just meeting up and making friends of people of your similar ability and interest level so that we have partners and phone numbers of people that we have actually MET in real life.

does this resonate with anybody, or am i completely off base? i'm interested to get some feedback.

aaron

bertalmio@hotmail.com

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook