RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

akornylak

Jul 28, 2005, 7:28 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Spring Cleaning
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just in case anyone was wondering why "Access Issues and Closures" is such a hot forum:

http://www.beta-source.com/videos/springcleaning512kntsc.wmv

Partner j_ung

Jul 28, 2005, 7:56 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Re: Spring Cleaning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I submit to you that almost every ultra classic route or area that isn't currently in access danger has gone through a similar process, over the course days, weeks, months or even years. Climbing has an environmental impact and there's no way to escape it completely, shy of not climbing.

However, thank you for posting that. Your point is a valid one and it's interesting to see it all condensed and right out there in front of me.

akornylak

Jul 28, 2005, 8:52 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I dunno,

People die every day, but that doesn't make murder any more acceptable!

bradmc

Jul 30, 2005, 6:53 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sure; i will buy that... every crag; all all climbing has had some form of environmental degradation associated with it.

The trail you use to get you into the climbing area has compacted soils, some erosion, trampling of fragile herbs, and a few shrubs and small trees were probably removed. We scrub the boulders, suffocate the plants with our boulderpads and intense gatherings, etc. etc. Heck; just driving to the crag we put pollutants into the air.

I think what Andrew is pointing out is that this is a blatant and extremely disrespectful showing of what can (and is) happening at our boulderfields and crags.

Sure; this is probably the worst case scenerio (we hope so) but believe it or not... there are climbers out there that think this is ok and will even make excuses for these types of behaviors (need evidence.. i will point you to the links).

i am not an earth first type and realize we all have impacts as we recreate and do our thing on this planet. But this boulder problem could have been climbed with about 5% of the impacts that were imposed on this boulder.

ever wonder why crags get shut down and land managers look down on climbers? look at that video and you will see one of the reasons why.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook