RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

coloredchalker

Jul 28, 2005, 8:23 PM
Post #1 of 8 (940 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in St George and Zion
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can a local give me the low down. I know it is going to be hot so don't start on that. But can you recommend any places that fit one or all of the following descriptions: shady in morning or evening, easy to find, moderate multi pitch, sport routes? And what would be a standard rack be for the area?
I'm heading down there with my brothers after the OR and it will only be three of us so if a fourth person wanted to join that would be cool. pm me. Thanks for the help.

Aaron

grayhghost

Jul 28, 2005, 8:27 PM
Post #2 of 8 (940 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in St George and Zion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

why leave cool salt lake?

landonflo

Jul 28, 2005, 8:38 PM
Post #3 of 8 (940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

double post, dang first one

landonflo

Jul 28, 2005, 8:39 PM
Post #4 of 8 (940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Prophesy Wall, has some good ones. Sport multi pitch and some trad lines. I have only climed sticky revalations (sport 10a) there so that is all the help I can give you. It was winter and early morning so we were glad to see the sun.

coclimber26

Jul 28, 2005, 9:02 PM
Post #5 of 8 (940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should check out kolob canyon, I was checking out the photos on the route database and they look killer and relatively shady.

crackmd

Jul 28, 2005, 9:04 PM
Post #6 of 8 (940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chuckawalla Wall right outside of St. George is shady until about midday. It is an awesome wall if you are looking for climbs in the easy 5.12 range. There are a few easier routes (3 or 4) but this is a dream wall for one breaking into 5.12. Routes are characterized by slightly overhanging pocketed sandstone. Second Coming (12a) is the classic in the area. Approach to the crag is "spitting distance" from the car.

The climbing park at Crawdad Canyon is an experience not to be missed. Some climbers are turned off by the idea of paying $5 to climb in the area. I find it a great experience to climb hard then jump in the pool. I would call the climbing "pretty good" on featured basalt-type rock. You can get in a ton of climbing at this place since there are tons of routes including some "squeeze-jobs". I have climbed there a couple times in the heat of summer and one can always find shade.

Don't know much shady sportclimbing in Zion. Go hike the Narrows. That's one of the ultimate hot weather experiences.

Have fun.

Partner phaedrus

Jul 29, 2005, 3:11 AM
Post #7 of 8 (940 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

jg

Jul 29, 2005, 7:44 PM
Post #8 of 8 (940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know you said in your post to not start on the hottness thing, but it was like 116 degrees down there the other day, just FYI. I would be more into looking for swimming pools and cold beers than places to climb, but since you asked: You can find some AM shade in Snow Canyon, Crawdad Canyon is a unique experience and has shade and swimming, Prophesy Wall is fun climbing with 3 pitch sport routes that are in the mid-10 range, Kolob Canyon doesn't have a lot of routes, but Namaste is worth the trip, and the scenery alone is worth the visit. Places close to St. George like Chuckwalla, Black Rocks, Turtle Rocks etc. are ok sport climbing, but not something I would travel all the way from North Carolina for. Outdoor Outlet in St. George would be a good source of information on places that are less hot. If you are in SLC for the OR show, why not stay north for climbing? If you are going south to see the desert country, Zion certainly is spectacular just for the scenery and hiking, even if you don't do any climbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook