Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 10, 2005, 2:45 AM
Post #51 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best Car For Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
hummers and jeeps are for sissies.........and both are some of the worst vehicles on gas...and what the hell does a winch have anything to do with climbing....

WORD

In reply to:
if you're into ice, than a 4x4 with GOOD tires...

That's bull... I live in Canada and did more then 30 days of ice climbing last year. Got to all the crags with an old Volks Golf 95 without geting stuck once.

Comon, no need for big cars, with big engins, and big everything... Car is just a friggin mode of transportation. Drop the SUVs go for small cars that use less gas and polute less... and maybe, one day, you'll have less SMOG alerts and cleaner air.

true...but depends....i spent a bit of time in the rockies in the winter and it was pretty sketchy....very glad i have a good truck....meanwhile (no shit) my lady friend was in a VW hippie van that drove off a cliff near nelson in the winter...and my truck has a small engine and i keep it well maintained :mrgreen:

zakr

Aug 10, 2005, 3:02 AM
Post #52 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stay away from the late 90s subis with 2.5 motors...headgaskets blow on them faithfully.

Jeep cherokee, cheapest parts available and good mpg with the 4 banger.

good luck

thefirstascentionizer

Aug 10, 2005, 3:20 AM
Post #53 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

muthafuckin PINTO.

cappuccino

Aug 10, 2005, 3:21 AM
Post #54 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I woukld say Subaru as well.. good cars.. lot of space.. awd.. can't complain. Now personally if you aould like a truck.. i reccomend an s-10 or sonoma. Awesome workhorses. I drive an 03 Xtreme with the 4.3L and 5-speed and its my daily.. gets 20mpg... hauls damn near anything... if it wasn't an Xtreme it COULD go off road... and s-trucks are dirt cheap. They stopped making htme so prices are low.. Man if you want a truck..s-series ALL they way

boondock_saint

Aug 10, 2005, 3:28 AM
Post #55 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well if you want something that'll get you anywhere you wanna go (and back out) those two would be my top and only choice.

99% of the SUV's they advertise are too big, too tall, to heavy to useless for anything other than suburbia, H2 hummer being one of them.

I'm pretty sure most vehicles will get you to your favorite climbing location just fine but if I had a ton of money to blow I'd get a original Humvee (for that purpose only - it wouldn't be daily driver like most gasguzzling SUV's are to people).

If you like working on cars than a CJ would be a nice project and quite useful if you like to go into the wild.

tradrenn

Aug 10, 2005, 3:43 AM
Post #56 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My Honda Civic gets me everywhere and I sleep in it ( only on long weekend trips ) great milege. :D

dontmaytagme

Aug 10, 2005, 4:20 AM
Post #57 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My 2001 Celica. 140+ mph, able to put the crashpad in the trunk, fold down the seats and sleep in the car. Perfect size for two people. Reliable? It's a Toyota.

ja.

hottamaleholly

Aug 10, 2005, 4:26 AM
Post #58 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My sister drives a Honda Civic Hybrid. If you plan on road tripping with not a lot of money, a hybrid (non-SUV) is the best. Gets like, 50 mpg on highway. And it still has the standard size tank. There's just about as much room as there is in a normal civic, although trunk size is slightly decreased for battery. But great car, and a Honda will last you forever (my Accord is 12 years old, has 145,000 miles and is still going strong).

climbtothebeet

Aug 10, 2005, 4:55 AM
Post #59 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jeep cj-7 with the inline 6 and 5 speed.

fun car to drive, prety reliable once u swap out the old carter carb. and, they are fun to drive. offroading in a jeep is amazing fun. trucks are ok....

your 16, u want the ladies right????
but, remeber Just. Empty. Every. Pocket

airborne_r6

Aug 10, 2005, 5:06 AM
Post #60 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hummers and jeeps are for sissies...

Really? I would like to see your reasoning behind this.

cmacblue42

Aug 10, 2005, 5:35 AM
Post #61 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i love subarus, being a player of the initial-d arcade game, but since you are getting your drivers licence and i am asuming you are 16 i reccomend getting a toyota prius since gas is going through the roof and you will be doing a lot of road trips. But the main things to look for are reliability, trunk space, and milage all of which you will probably find on a used prius. if you want a little more normal looking car the toyota camry hybrid is good too but i think it is a little worse on milage, not sure though.

e_wire

Aug 10, 2005, 1:37 PM
Post #62 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
hummers and jeeps are for sissies...

Really? I would like to see your reasoning behind this.

I'm not tattode_climber, but I agree with him.... Reasoning behind this, if you can't drive carefully enough not to hit the ditch when a bit of snow falls, or if you can't walk the needed distance in the wildeness to get to the crag, or if you can't push a bit when you get stuck in a bit of snow, and for some of those reason you need a friggen tank - then yeah, you're a sissie...

Climbing is all about being in the wilderness. Not 4 X 4 driving in the sand and snow - making noise and disturbing everything and everyone out-there...

Use smaller cars - use less gas- walk a bit more. You'll be in better health and so will be you environment.

bigjohnny

Aug 10, 2005, 2:24 PM
Post #63 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't waste your time with AWD cause it's really only 1 wheel drive. 4wd is really only 2 wheel drive. I love my Grand Wagoneer. It sucks on gas, but the insurance is amazingly low, as in cheaper every month than having a civic. I can load 6 people, camping gear, crash pads, fishing gear, and just about anything else I want in it. Oh yea, ladies love the bench seat ;0 You can pick one up for less than 3000$ and it's so simple to work on. If you're mechanically inclined at all I strongly suggest getting a car old enough that you don't have to worry about emissions.

P.S. CJs never came with a 5 speed.

Partner angry

Aug 10, 2005, 3:08 PM
Post #64 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only Subaru I've ever seen that gets good gas mileage is the base model impreza. Almost everything they sell gets 25-28 mpg. I've got a longbed Dodge Dakota 4x4 with a carpeted and padded back. I can comfortably sleep 2 plus gear. Or 1 plus bike. I get 23 mpg!! You can quarter that size and get 25 with a Subaru. Fuck that. And I can tow.

If I got a car today, it'd be a Ford Focus wagon that's about a year old. Those things aren't expensive and don't hold their value. Yet from what I hear they are a decent vehicle. So that all means you can get a used one rather cheap and it'll run well. As long as you don't plan to ever sell it, it's a good deal.

I would never own a car that gets less than 10 mpg better than a truck.

rockrat_co

Aug 10, 2005, 3:58 PM
Post #65 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what about the VW Eurovans??!!

sd

Aug 10, 2005, 4:06 PM
Post #66 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why so many americans have or even want such large cars is beyond me. kyoto ? what's that!

carry on pumping that carbon into the atmosphere! go team america!

bigjonnyc

Aug 10, 2005, 4:22 PM
Post #67 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about the Jeep Hurricane:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/...eep-hurricane-27.jpg\

Driven by 2 of these:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/hemi-3.jpg

And with a zero turning radius:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/...hurricane-layout.gif

What more could you want (beside better than 8 or 10 miles/gallon)???

bigjohnny

Aug 10, 2005, 4:55 PM
Post #68 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually the hemi's get pretty good milage for a truck because when you're cruising they shut of 2 cyclinders and it runs as a v6.

rastafari

Aug 10, 2005, 6:20 PM
Post #69 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

subaru impreza 2.0 awd caravan

azrockclimber

Aug 10, 2005, 6:36 PM
Post #70 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my car but it is expensive and gas costs a fortune. ...

I would guess a smaller pickup with a cover for the bed would be really sweet for your situation. You can toss all your gear in it and still have room for sleeping in it comfortably.

pamolapat

Aug 10, 2005, 9:29 PM
Post #71 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To my way of thinking, the mid-90's Subaru Legacy is the height of automotive engineering....the best car for your buck if you like to go places...my car is a 1995.

I'm 6'5 and I can sleep in the back fairly comfortably if I sleep diagonally. Mine once carried five people and all our equipment INSIDE the car for a two day, two night backpacking trip in Nov in the Adirondacks...not to mention countless pairs of skis and poles, all manner of climbing gear, etc.

I've driven it through snow deep enough that it blew up over the hood at a couple points. I've only gotten it stuck in a ditch once (mostly driver error, though if I'd had the limited slip rear differential (optional, get it if possible) we wouldn't have had to tow it out with my buddy's truck).

It's got the 2.2 L four banger tied to a five speed stick. In summer, driving conservatively it gets as high as 31 mpg. In winter (when gas is formulated differently) tearing ass to and from ski locations, it can go as low as 25.5.

Can you tell I love the thing?

My second choice would definitely be a 4 cyl Tacoma with shift on the fly 4wd and limited slip...joeforte, real nice, and 24 mpg is great!

--Patrick

canrocker

Aug 10, 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #72 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I must strongly suggest a Volvo 245 wagon. They were made from 76-93, so you can get a relatively newer one that isn't too pricey (the ones I see made in the 90s are almost always near-mint) or an old beater for the change in your couch. They will hold every piece of gear you could acquire in a lifetime and the rear seat folds down to make a 6'2" sleeping area. They're not the best on fuel economy, but with only a four banger they won't break the bank. And they have a solid steel frame for extra safety and weigh well over 2 tons so you can smash into just about anything and emerge victorious. A guy hit mine while it was parked and caved in most of his passenger door. The only damage to the Volvo was a square inch piece of rubber torn from the bumper. I've also read that the designers, to deal with a particular Swedish road hazard, designed the front end with enough size and height to hit a full-grown reindeer without killing the occupants of the vehicle, which would be quite likely in many cars. (Ever seen a car vs. a moose? Yeah, same thing.)

One last thing about Volvos: they're sexy, baby! Oh yeah. :lol:

rockfarmer

Aug 11, 2005, 7:27 PM
Post #73 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i got a subaru outback..97..got it used for cheap, good on gas, room for my yaks, gear, friends, and still got room for the doggy

timberly

Aug 11, 2005, 7:30 PM
Post #74 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A 93' red dodge minvan wit 150000 miles on it its the shiznit

boadman

Aug 11, 2005, 7:54 PM
Post #75 of 89 (17151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry, but Greased Lightening kicks all of the previously mentioned vehicles butts:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=57707

Pros:

I got 400 miles out of my last gallon of diesel. I spent 5 dollars for the last 2000 miles of driving.

When I'm running on Veggie Oil, I'm carbon nuetral, net zero carbon emmissions.

I'm using garbage as fuel.

My car smells good.

I can go 85 up eisenhower in 5th gear because my turbo is bigger than yours.

I get 45 mpg+ on diesel or veggie oil.

My car shouts "I have a huge penis," especially with the flower in the dash board.

Cons:

I've only got 4.5 inches of ground clearance. But you know what? I'm not afraid of hiking, in fact I regard it as valuable excersise.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook