RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

onbelay_osu

Aug 18, 2005, 8:19 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1335 views)
Shortcut

resole/patch 5.10's
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just got the 5.10 stealth half resole hit and was wondering if anyone has any beta on what is the best way to patch a toe box.....well not relaly the box as much as just where my big toe is in the shoe i have a massive tear that i want to fix before i go to moab....any beta (esp. if you have pics) would be appreciated....
safe climbing
GRANT

mtnfr34k

Aug 18, 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1335 views)
Shortcut

Re: resole/patch 5.10's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you talking about the rand? In any case, a quick "temporary" patch can be done with a bicycle patch - this method was recommended to me from the guys at the Rubber Room, and it worked great!

anykineclimb

Aug 18, 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

send them off and get the rand properly resoled. while you're at it, get it professionally resoled too

jaybird2

Aug 19, 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am no pro, but I have come to enjoy resoling my shoes personally. I am one of those "screw mass-productions fools" though who actually enjoys to change his own oil and sewn my own russian aiders. Resoling is easy after your first pair. And if you mess up, it is no big deal since you can just peel the sucker off and start over.

FiveTen also sells rand patch kits. I have used previously worn thin, old sole rubber. It works good if everything happens to be right. But with rand patch you just cut away (carefully not to cut the upper) the old rand (bad area) and scretch the new stuff over. Don't forget to have enough overlapping the sole to be able to tuck it (rand) under the sole (just like they did originally). Stuffing the front of the shoe is essential to get the right anatomical dimensions. Also, where the new and old rand meets, there will be seems that can come open. I mend the seems together via point-source heat. This is a little tricky, but that and a touch from the dremel really does the job good.

Good luck and don't get pissed (impossible) when the first one sucks. Even crappy looking resole jobs can be commandos and last long and work well. With each resole you do, it gets better.

ps-a dremel is key

madrock

Aug 19, 2005, 9:05 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Give it up reranding is hard work. Mountainsoles.com

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook