Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 62 Next page Last page  View All

Partner tisar

Aug 9, 2005, 4:16 PM
Post #101 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Re: Calling all Euro-freaks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

In reply to:
In reply to:
LT, no, I don't think so... what is SY? :oops:

Syria of course.

:shock:

Sylt :?:

:lol:

- Daniel

lucas_timmer

Aug 9, 2005, 6:24 PM
Post #102 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Girldrifter, Sy is a belgium town near the city of Luik.There is some great climbing around Sy.I can certainly recommend you to climb there.

-LT

Partner booger

Aug 10, 2005, 11:05 AM
Post #103 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hmmm. Very intriguing, especially since I can't seem to find any beta on the web! Do you have any pics or links? I found another small crag near Beez last week, just 1/2 hour from home (sure beats 1.5 hours to Freyr). This weekend, off to Chamonix for 3 days! Yipppeee!

What's everyone else doing?

lucas_timmer

Aug 12, 2005, 3:26 PM
Post #104 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hi Girldrifter,

I've just found out that climbing in Sy isn't allowed anymore.I don't know when it will be agian.You need to be member of the belgian alpine association to climb in the Ardennes and you can be fined if you climb there without your pass of the belgian alpine association.There is some good climbing in Hotton as well (which is close to Sy)

-LT

Partner tisar

Aug 16, 2005, 8:21 AM
Post #105 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Morn' folks!

Since I saw gd's lurking around...

How's everyone? Since the weather constantly cheats on us I've just been in the gym for some evenings :? Nothing spectacular, you bet.

I hope the next weekend will be fine enough to get out again. Got some Aliens brought by an American friend/ex-climbing partner and I gotta try them out!

Since then I hope I get rid of my creeping flue, which isn't hard enough to keep me from working but gets on my nerves like hell.

(Hard to post as I'm constantly disturbed. Maybe come back later...)

Have a nice one!

- Daniel

Partner booger

Aug 16, 2005, 8:36 AM
Post #106 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey Daniel,
Well, Paolo and I are just back from 3 days in Chamonix. The Belgian weather followed us there, unfortunately - we were not lucky. :roll: Saturday woke up to a nice rain, rained all morning. We walked around town which wasn't very exciting and I dropped too much money on a pair of ice boots. It cleared up a bit then, and we found a nice little crag and spent the afternoon moaning about single-pitch sport climbing. The highlight was my almost stepping on a viper :shock: and squealing like a real girl. The next day we took an early cable car up at 7:30 hoping to get on our big route. It was SO f'ing cold up there, plus we planned a North face climb. Long story short- I sissied out. :oops: Anyway, it was a good thing. We found a beautiful granite route, 10 pitches, in the sunshine... until pitch 8. Just when the route started to get interesting on a 6b+ slab, rain rain rain :twisted: We rappelled back with the quickness, soaking wet and freezing. But one look at the snowstorm over Mont Blanc and we felt pretty glad that we hadn't attempted the route earlier that morning... we would have been up there REALLY freezing and miserable. So that was our little mini-epic. Anyone else have any adventures this w/e?

mr-pink
Deleted

Aug 16, 2005, 9:28 AM
Post #107 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

For climbing in belgium, check www.belclimb.net, It has everything about all the climbing. And you can climb there for years before you've climbed everything.

But the sad part is: you have to be member of a belgian climbing club (cab, bac, vbsf, ...), you're not allowed to climb if you're not a member.
Because, the crags are cleaned and bolted with the membership money. Good reason? yes!

Also, it gives you an insurance, another good reason.

Partner heiko

Aug 16, 2005, 10:27 AM
Post #108 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Hey Daniel,
Well, Paolo and I are just back from 3 days in Chamonix. The Belgian weather followed us there, unfortunately - we were not lucky. :roll:

It didn't follow you.
It was there all the time.
Messed up my week of mountaineering.
:evil:

overlord

Aug 16, 2005, 12:11 PM
Post #109 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

yes, this summer sucks BIG time. the rock is either wet or its raining. i think i actually got three climbing weekends in and one of those was like climbing up a stream (we still went because plastic really started to suck. like licking icecream through a glass window).

lucas_timmer

Aug 16, 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #110 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Mr. Pink, you don't have to be a member of any on the belgian climbing clubs but you do have to be a member of one of the alpine associations in Europe.Which for me is the NKBV(Nederlandse Klim en Bergsport Vereniging) where you can buy a European climbing pass from.Atleast, that's what the NKBV told me....

-LT

mr-pink
Deleted

Aug 16, 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #111 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

that's correct,

But with paying for the climbing pass, you help out the bolters.

UIAA member, but easiest for belgium is still cab, with that, you can climb in belgium withouth problem.

They actually do check if you have a membership card or climbing pass, and if you don't have it, they send you away. I've heard they have the right to confiscate your gear, so you can't climb on.

pebbleman

Aug 18, 2005, 3:33 PM
Post #112 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Okay GD, good report. perhaps you could fill in a few such as what NF route you were after, and what did you see in terms of snow deposition, ice buildup, i.e. what kind of season is MB having. Just wondering as i am going in October and it would be handy to know what kind of year they are having. BTW, why did you guys pull the plug?

lucas_timmer

Aug 18, 2005, 4:31 PM
Post #113 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Mr. Pinkie, waht's your favorite climbing spot in Belgium ?

-LT

mr-pink
Deleted

Aug 18, 2005, 5:02 PM
Post #114 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I've never been in freyr, people tell me it's like disneyland (loads op people).

I come quite alot in landelies, it's fun with a group, but beez and Dave are much more fun with just 3/4 friends

lucas_timmer

Aug 18, 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #115 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Do you know about the sections that were closed, I heard they closed Sy and some other areas as well.

-LT

mr-pink
Deleted

Aug 19, 2005, 12:47 AM
Post #116 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

There's a part of sy closed, and another part is still open.

I've been told, that there a sign that tells you where you can and can't climb.
But If you want to be easy, just go to places that aren't closed.

The bigs crags like freyr, m-l-d, beez, dave, yvoir and les awirs won't be closed.

They close crags, because it's on private property, or to protect the enviorment (or how you spell it). The climbers ar sed to make to much noise, the gear that is. :?
on www.belclimb.net , there's a part about rockclimbing (rotsklimmen), and it really has all the info about all the crags, also if it's allowed to climb or not, how to find it ...

keep climbing!

lucas_timmer

Aug 19, 2005, 11:47 AM
Post #117 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Bedankt Pink, mischien kunnen we een keer klimmen in Freyr of Dave. :wink:

-LT

uasunflower

Aug 20, 2005, 4:48 PM
Post #118 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

oh, c'mon, english only here, or at least french :wink:

as for Mt Blanc, the weather was rather good the week before the 15th, although the w-end did suck. On sunday we went up Aiguille Mummery and Ravanel, to only find a snow storm 3 pitches up the route (after all that cumbersome approach up the Col des Cristaux). There was at least 20 cm of new snow almost to the level of the refuge de couvercle, making glacier travel fun as ever, compounded by the blizzard winds.

As conditions go, Aiguille du Moine & about in good condition, Aiguille Verte not that good, approach to Aiguille du Jardin difficult because of the rimaye. Other conditions here.

Anyone climbing in belgium and looking for partners? It's raining this w-end, it's desperate, and all my partners are happily back in the US... :cry: :cry: :cry:

uasunflower

Aug 20, 2005, 5:05 PM
Post #119 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

oh, and concerning the alpine club debate - that membership (belgian or other alpine club) makes refuges in the Alps cost 8 euros a night instead of 17. That's a good enough reason for me. Was controlled for a 'membership' once in freyer, didn't even show my card, just said yes. Camping was w/o a problem either.

jeldship

Aug 21, 2005, 2:46 PM
Post #120 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Re: Calling all Euro-freaks --who climb around Chamonix [In reply to]
Report this Post

Partner tisar

Aug 22, 2005, 8:48 AM
Post #121 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Morn' folks!

Wooot, good news!

Seems as if I'm gonna assist a friend of mine in teaching noobs the next two weekends.

Heiko (no, not you/this heiko, but still a nice guy!), who taught me the basics last year, is gonna try to get professional. He's a certified climbing teacher (FÜL, Fachübungsleiter, for the Germans) and is up to give beginners classes in our home crag.
He called me on Friday and asked me if I was interested in assisting him. Sure I am!!

The next two weekends are kind of test weekends. The first one is with a couple of people we already know, the following with some 'strangers'. Both will be more or less for free for the participants so we can evaluate and adjust our 'pedagogical' approach.

I'm sooo excited... hopefully those guys won't recognize how I suck at climbing :shock: alwas been a better teacher than doer :roll:

So how was your weekend? Any more epics?

Have a nice one!

- Daniel

uasunflower

Aug 22, 2005, 1:17 PM
Post #122 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

w-end sucked, it rained one day, the other day didn't get to the crag cause didn't find a car to bring me there :evil:

Partner heiko

Aug 23, 2005, 8:49 AM
Post #123 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Morn' folks!

- Daniel

Hey Daniel,

do you want to take the climbing instructor course, too? Some of my friends did it, and from a climbing perspective it doesn't seem to difficult: VI onsight. :)

My weekend was rainy of course, I went to the gym. But the week before I spent in Edinburgh, and climbed at a very nice cliff upon Firth of Forth called "Hawkcraig". There's not a single bolt! :)
The guys I was climbing with also told me that they have a gym there ("Ratho") that is basically a former quarry which is now covered by a huge building, so you have natural rock inside the gym. But seems they had to cover most of it with normal artificial climbing walls because of insurance reasons... :(

H.

Partner tisar

Aug 23, 2005, 9:14 AM
Post #124 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Morn' folks!

- Daniel

Hey Daniel,

do you want to take the climbing instructor course, too? Some of my friends did it, and from a climbing perspective it doesn't seem to difficult: VI onsight. :)

My weekend was rainy of course, I went to the gym. But the week before I spent in Edinburgh, and climbed at a very nice cliff upon Firth of Forth called "Hawkcraig". There's not a single bolt! :)
The guys I was climbing with also told me that they have a gym there ("Ratho") that is basically a former quarry which is now covered by a huge building, so you have natural rock inside the gym. But seems they had to cover most of it with normal artificial climbing walls because of insurance reasons... :(

H.

Hi Heiko!

Edinburgh must be beautiful! And since I really love to fiddle around with gear... ah so many places to go!
I heard about the 'natural' gym. Given the weather in Europe this summer, it seems a good idea.

Though a lot about getting an instructors class, since I love to teach. Had the best time of my life doing my civil service in a kindergarden. VI onsight wouldn't be that much of a problem (given it is not a Kurt Albert VI...), I even heard you have three tries. But I'm not able to onsight the 600€ yet... The DAV in Berlin, which would be the less expensive alternative, doesn't need intructors right now. :?

- Daniel

Partner heiko

Aug 23, 2005, 9:39 AM
Post #125 of 1534 (40534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Hi Heiko!

Edinburgh must be beautiful! And since I really love to fiddle around with gear... ah so many places to go!
I heard about the 'natural' gym. Given the weather in Europe this summer, it seems a good idea.

Man, really, all of the two weeks I spent there I've been getting on my friends' nerves complaining about the awful weather. Now that I'm in Germany for a week I see that it was f* awesome up there! Only about 1-3hrs of rain a day... :roll:

In reply to:
But I'm not able to onsight the 600€ yet... The DAV in Berlin, which would be the less expensive alternative, doesn't need intructors right now. :?
- Daniel

600... wow... that's a lot for getting the license to take people to bolted single-pitch sport climbs and set up a toprope for them... :shock:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 62 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook