RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

lil_rockgirl

Aug 19, 2005, 3:53 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Gunks guide???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all! I have a quick question for anyone that happens to know the GUNKS. My girl and I are heading up there in a few weeks for our FIRST outdoor climbing experience. We're very excited, but also some what nervous.

Several guides have been recommended to us, but, none from personal experience. I was wondering if anyone here has used any of the local guides. What was your experience like?

Thanks for you help!

Lil_rockgirl
:D

gblauer

Aug 20, 2005, 2:38 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gunks guide??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have used two different guide services at the Gunks; Diamond Sports and High Angle Adventures.

Both were excellent. I recommend that you really try and think about your objectives regarding the guiding services. Are you just trying to get your first outdoor experience underway? Are you trying to learn about safety? rope handling? knots? multipitch climbing?

Once you understand what you want out of the day, make sure you tell the guide service EXACTLY what you want. Afterall, you will be paying big bucks, so make sure you get what you pay for.

We had Bobby Ferarri from High Angle http://www.highangle.com/...f/index.html#ferrari
he was great. I think we had Seth from Diamond, but I am not sure that he is there anymore. I have watched Paul Curran (several times) from Diamond with clients, he seems to be very well respected and seems to be a great guide.

Good luck and enjoy your very first outdoor rock climbing!
P.S. it is always good form to tip your guide, so build that into your budget.

Partner taino

Aug 22, 2005, 5:24 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used two guide services up at the Gunks: Diamond Sports, and Alpine Endeavors.

With Diamond Sports, I had Mike Cimino as a guide. Mike has since signed on with another outfitter.

With Alpine Endeavors, I've had Mike Rawdon and Marty Molitoris.

Perhaps I'm biased, but I had the best and most productive times with Alpine Endeavors. That said, it's really all about which guide you get and which guide you click with. As Gail mentioned, make SURE that you tell the guide service exactly what you want to do; I didn't know that the first time, and got a general lesson from which I got very little. The next time I knew, and got a session tailored to exactly what I wanted. If you want them to teach you this and that, tell them. If you just want someone to set up ropes so that you can climb, tell them.

Lastly, there really aren't any "bad" guide services at the Gunks; they wouldn't be in business if they were. EMS tends to be more expensive than the others, but that's their only fault IMHO.

Most importantly - have a great time!

T

gunkjunkie

Aug 22, 2005, 5:50 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't used a guide service but I have met and heard good things about Paul Curran and Sue Kligerman. They both guide for Diamond Sports http://www.gunksguide.com/. I've also met Mike Rawdon and he also seems very knowledgable and is a nice guy.

Deirdre

shorty

Aug 22, 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Long, long ago in a place far, far away.... (oops, wrong thread)

Or maybe I should say many moons ago I used Diamond Sports to give me tours of the Gunks while traveling on the east coast. If memory serves me right, I had both Al Diamond and Tom Andrews serve as rope guns -- both were excellent guides. We climbed until late in the day, at which time my forearms were pretty much toast.

As stated in above replies, the most important thing you can do is let your guide know what your reasonable expectations and desires are for the day. And bring your happy attitude -- guides enjoy climbing with people who are having fun.

Enjoy -- most people don't get to experience someplace as special as the Gunks for their first outdoor climbing.

Partner macherry

Aug 23, 2005, 4:25 AM
Post #6 of 12 (2851 views)
Shortcut

macherry moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry moved this thread from The Ladies' Room to US - East Coast.

ping

Aug 23, 2005, 12:15 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I learned to lead from Paul Curran at Diamond Sports and found him to be superb. Clear, thoughtful, laid back, and extremely qualified. Never been her client, but Sue Kligerman, also with Diamond, is excellent as well.

Have fun.

piton

Aug 23, 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Paul was a great guide w/ Diamond but he is no longer guiding, recently took on a job rigging for broadway plays. You may want to check out Sue with Diamond, stay away from the rest of Diamond giudes though bunch of noobs.
High Angle someone mentioned Bobby Ferrai, he's a great guide and great person to climb with.

afiveonbelay

Aug 26, 2005, 4:00 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whoever you pick don't wait, it can get busy, Better yet try a weekday, better availability and less crowding

Partner srwings

Aug 26, 2005, 4:54 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My 12 year old (May 03) son and I used Bob Hostetter, the chief guide from http://www.highangle.com. That was my son's first multi-pitch trad experience. Bob was great and we had an excellent day.

Hope this helps.

--Vance

Partner taualum23

Aug 26, 2005, 5:28 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

High Angle is a terrific outfit.

John Ross actually taught me and a freind to climb in 1987, (that friend went on to 5.14 greatness....I well, I still love climbing).

Since then I have used them three or four times, usually when introducing a SO to climbing that wanted a guide. They are always great. I have climbed with Ian, John, as well as a young man who is no longer with them. All have been professional and willing/eager to show us a great time. I really can not recommend them any stronger than I do.
If you do use them, say hi from Josh.

mgr

Aug 29, 2005, 2:13 AM
Post #12 of 12 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been out with Alpine Endeavors a few times. It is a great guide service. The owner, Marty, is a great guy and a pleasure to deal with. All of the guides are top notch.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook