Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 33 Next page Last page  View All

Partner mr8615

Aug 23, 2005, 9:22 PM
Post #76 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Re: 2006 Ouray Ice Festival [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So say I do decide to come, and I really want to, where would I look at flying into? Will I need a car? Sorry for all of the questions! I'm getting psyched! Not just anyone (especially on here) will say:

In reply to:
If you want to learn to climb ice, and have a great time with people who you've never met that will treat you like their best friend, come with us to Ouray.

Thanks guys, if I can pull it off/afford it, I will be there!

Mark

redpointron

Aug 23, 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #77 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't even know where to begin...

i go climbing for a day or two and come back and have missed a ton....

first of all, aaron, where did you get all that sweet moser stuff and WHY are you selling it? those are some sweeeeet deals. :shock:

okay mark...

In reply to:
So say I do decide to come, and I really want to, where would I look at flying into? Will I need a car? Sorry for all of the questions! I'm getting psyched! Not just anyone (especially on here) will say:

In reply to:
If you want to learn to climb ice, and have a great time with people who you've never met that will treat you like their best friend, come with us to Ouray.

Mark

you can fly into several different places, the closest being montrose which is about 35 minutes north of ouray. i think continental, united, and american come in there. someone, not me---cause i won't have one, can come pick you up or you can take a shuttle. you won't need a car once you get to ouray. your college campus is probably 3 times the size of ouray (that was funny :wink: )

also, when sharpie tells you that he's gonna treat you like his best friend, don't start planning the honeymoon 'cause this at best means interval training (you will see) and at worst means broken bones.

that being said, save your money and make the trip. it will be the time of your life. 8^)

and last, but by no means the least, is anyone man enough to touch this one...

In reply to:
Awww! That's hot. Since I'm the mother of the EWE does that mean I'm gonna get screwed? SWEET!

come on, when she lobs it in there, it begs to be hit over the fence :shock:

r.r.

reno

Aug 24, 2005, 12:42 AM
Post #78 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I really don't know very much about it, but I'd really like to learn to ice climb (tons of rock and systems understanding). And the the whole thing (party) sounds amazing. So I wanna go, what do I need to bring/know?

If you want to learn, there are very few better opportunities to learn than at the Ice Festival. A few bucks will score you a lesson (small group... 5, maybe 6 other folks) with some of the best ice climbers in the world.

And have no fear about looking bad. You can always climb with me and look like an expert, as watching me climb most closely resembles trying to wrestle with a greased pig while wearing rollerblades.

But yeah, it's a good time. Start looking into flights into Montrose or Telluride (America West flys to Telluride, IIRC.) Other options are Grand Junction or Denver, from where you can hitch a ride with one of the 3 thousand other climbers that will overtake the town of Ouray that weekend.

Just find a way to get to Colorado, and somehow we'll all figure out the rest.

What to bring? Warm clothes, a swimsuit, and a sense of adventure.

And beer money. Lots of it, in fact, cause you're buying, nOOb.

johnhemlock

Aug 24, 2005, 12:50 AM
Post #79 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Or you can go to Cody with me. With 3000 ice climbers headed to Ouray, that'll leave plenty of stuff for us to do. I can't promise a great party or anything but we can grill some brats at Bison Willys and split a 12 pack of Old Style. Maybe we can convince one of the strippers that works the coalbed methane circuit to come down for an evening.

sharpie

Aug 24, 2005, 2:54 AM
Post #80 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Or you can go to Cody with me. With 3000 ice climbers headed to Ouray, that'll leave plenty of stuff for us to do. I can't promise a great party or anything but we can grill some brats at Bison Willys and split a 12 pack of Old Style. Maybe we can convince one of the strippers that works the coalbed methane circuit to come down for an evening.

:shock: Hummm, John you make a pretty convincing case, South Fork ice and no other people....I could always wait to go to Ouray until Chicks with Picks weekend... 8^)

timd

Aug 24, 2005, 3:15 AM
Post #81 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey mr8615, last year was my first year climbing with all these maniacs. They did treat me well even though I was a complete noob. Sharpie was great belaying me on my first terrifying Ouray ice lead. Everyone on this thread will welcome you to the sport with open heart ( and 3 ice screws for the lead). :wink: Hope to see you there.

Tim

anykineclimb

Aug 24, 2005, 3:21 AM
Post #82 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

In reply to:

Mark

Mark,

I showed up last year, literally having met two person prior. Of course, I knew of plenty of them from this site, just never actually met them face to face. Although they were pretty much strangers, 4 days later, I went away with a lot of new friends. They're all just super cool to get along with.

Get your ass to Ouray do a little climbing and lots and lots of partying.

sharpie

Aug 24, 2005, 3:21 AM
Post #83 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and 3 ice screws for the lead

Hey, come on, it was only 80 feet; 3 screws was pleanty! And, I let you carry an extra one on your harness.... :lol: :wink:

Partner mr8615

Aug 24, 2005, 4:27 AM
Post #84 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy Sh!t! I can fly from DC to Denver for like 200 bucks! Any ideas how I can get from Denver to Ouray? I am buying a ticket on Friday! Ahh, you guys have no idea how excited I am! Does anyone have room for one more to split a hotel room? Where should I stay? I'm beside myself right now. I have to go to sleep before I lose it! So I found the flight, I have the money for beer (or I will), next step, where to stay?

Mark

anykineclimb

Aug 24, 2005, 4:47 AM
Post #85 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say get the ticket and figure out the logistics as you go its still 5 months out (what happened to the clock??)
theres lots of climbers in the denver area so you can probably find a ride or even fly into Montrose from there.

sharpie

Aug 24, 2005, 1:46 PM
Post #86 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Any ideas how I can get from Denver to Ouray?

Just check this board regularly; you should be able to connect with someone who wants to car pool from Denver. With the cost of gas, it shouldn't be hard to find someone willing to share a ride.

Last resorts would be:

a. to catch a commuter flight to Montrose. (although Redpointron will tell you the should be your absolute last ditch, no other options, final hope, pis aller option)

b. rent a Geo Metro from one of the car rental places at DIA and drive, it's about 5 hours, and if the weather is cooperating, a fairly pleasant drive.

Reno, Ron, Tracy and I are headed down the weekend before and spending the week, so if you are coming early let me know and you can pile in the bus.

In reply to:
Does anyone have room for one more to split a hotel room? Where should I stay?

The Vic and the BCL are usually the best places in Ouray to stay, however, it appears that both are entirely booked at this point. So, the best thing going at the moment is the Best Western Twin Peaks Motel (http://www.bestwestern.com), which IS going to be open this year for the Fest. My recommendation would be to book a large room now (double kings or a suite) because as it gets closer to time there's not going to be shit available, and then in December when people are on here looking for a room offer to split yours with them.

mother_sheep

Aug 24, 2005, 2:43 PM
Post #87 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
and 3 ice screws for the lead

Hey, come on, it was only 80 feet; 3 screws was pleanty! And, I let you carry an extra one on your harness.... :lol: :wink:

I watched you lead that Tim. That ice looked pretty unhealthy to say the least. You handled yourself like a champ.

sharpie

Aug 24, 2005, 2:51 PM
Post #88 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what happened to the clock??

It moved here:

Ouray Clock

onbelay_osu

Aug 24, 2005, 2:54 PM
Post #89 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

planning on comming this year! for my first time! if anyone can send me some info and camping and prices on the festival, and or the direct link to thier web page where i can figure this stuff out that would be great....i am excited this year!!!!!! going to learn for the first time the wonderful world of ice....(SCARY)

sharpie

Aug 24, 2005, 3:02 PM
Post #90 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

It moved here: Ouray Clock

Look at the big balls on Ron... :lol: :lol: :wink:

redpointron

Aug 24, 2005, 4:29 PM
Post #91 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

It moved here: Ouray Clock

Look at the big balls on Ron... :lol: :lol: :wink:

that is swwwwwweeeeeeet. the best thing about it is how the draw is defying gravity. :shock:

and tracy is right...tim has to win the new-to-the-game, big-balls, run-it-out award for his lead.

r.r.

sharpie

Aug 24, 2005, 5:06 PM
Post #92 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the best thing about it is how the draw is defying gravity. :shock:

:wink:

timd

Aug 24, 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #93 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I belayed Sharpie while he led it, and he made it look so easy that I figured why not. Well, that ball bearing crap they call ice had me shitting my pants before I got to the first bolt!

Sharpie: Thanks for a great climbing experience man, I mean it. And ya I forgot about the screw on my harness.

Mother_Sheep, redpointron: Thanks for the compliment, it really means a lot to me.

I look forward to seeing and climbing with all of you at the fest this this year.

AND I AM BRINGING A DOZEN SCREWS THIS YEAR! :lol:

reno

Aug 25, 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #94 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
planning on comming this year! for my first time! if anyone can send me some info and camping and prices on the festival, and or the direct link to thier web page where i can figure this stuff out that would be great....i am excited this year!!!!!! going to learn for the first time the wonderful world of ice....(SCARY)

1) You can find lots of info here: http://www.ourayicefestival.com/

2) You really don't want to camp. While the night time temps can be tolerable (assuming you have a warm bag... 0 F or warmer) the weather in the San Juans can turn sour at any time. Find someone with whom you can share a room. Someone on this thread (can't recall the user name) is looking... maybe you two can split a room?

3) Once in Ouray, your biggest expenses are food and booze. Transportation is your own two feet (walking from one side of town to the other will take about 20 minutes.) But figure on $50 a day for food and booze. More if you like good beer. Less if you drink cheap crap.

4) Keep an eye on this thread... there is always a ton of good info posted: People wanting rides, sharing rooms, etc. If you work out the schedule right, you could arrive in Denver Thursday afternoon, share a CHEAP rental car (hint: Don't rent at the airport, as that's more expensive. Take the shuttle to downtown and rent a car there...) to Ouray, arrive early Friday morning, share a hotel room (hint: Just cause two men sleep in the same queen sized bed does not mean they're gay...) and leave again on Sunday evening for a Monday am flight. That'd be Fri and Sat night hotel, four days of car rental, and four days of beer. It *can* be done for as little as 200 bucks.

redpointron

Aug 25, 2005, 12:53 AM
Post #95 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
2) You really don't want to camp. While the night time temps can be tolerable (assuming you have a warm bag... 0 F or warmer) the weather in the San Juans can turn sour at any time. Find someone with whom you can share a room. Someone on this thread (can't recall the user name) is looking... maybe you two can split a room?

4) Keep an eye on this thread... there is always a ton of good info posted: People wanting rides, sharing rooms, etc. If you work out the schedule right, you could arrive in Denver Thursday afternoon, share a CHEAP rental car (hint: Don't rent at the airport, as that's more expensive. Take the shuttle to downtown and rent a car there...) to Ouray, arrive early Friday morning, share a hotel room (hint: Just cause two men sleep in the same queen sized bed does not mean they're gay...) and leave again on Sunday evening for a Monday am flight. That'd be Fri and Sat night hotel, four days of car rental, and four days of beer. It *can* be done for as little as 200 bucks.

reno is right (politically, too :wink: )

no camping...you can find someone to share a room with...my hoosier buddy, easton, may be looking. he's a solid dude and a great partner.

as far as money is concerned. you will spend too much. once the party gets going. you'll start buying drinks or bidding on an arcteryx jacket, but who cares...when you get back it (having spent too much money) will be the only thing that you regret. notwithstanding the possible exception that you live in OK and not CO.

and for what it's worth...if you share a bed with reno, it MUST be a king or else.... :oops: :shock:

see you there...

r.r.

timd

Aug 25, 2005, 1:12 AM
Post #96 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet clock man! Does anyone know if all the hotels are full? I'm about to make reservations and I hope I don't have to stay in Montrose

sharpie

Aug 25, 2005, 1:17 AM
Post #97 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim-
Get a resevation at the Best Western Twin Peaks it's where all the hard core interval trainers stay...

Partner mr8615

Aug 25, 2005, 11:32 AM
Post #98 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim, I'll split a room with you! I'm not exactly sure on the date's that I'll be there, but as soon as I figure it out, I'm gonna reserve a room. If you want in, lemme know! Same goes to anyone else, nothing like sharing cost.

Mark

sharpie

Aug 25, 2005, 1:46 PM
Post #99 of 818 (45138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For those of you looking for lodging on the cheap...I believe that the Best Western has a couple of oversized rooms and instead of regular beds they have two sets of bunk beds in the room. So, 4 people can stay in the $70 room....for the cheap seats, that's $17.50 a night each :wink:

anykineclimb

Aug 25, 2005, 2:24 PM
Post #100 of 818 (45173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you realize the SWEET lines you can drytool amongst two bunkbeds?!?!
(in no way am I condoning such damaging acts... 8^) )

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 33 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook