RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

anson

Aug 29, 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2502 views)
Shortcut

Injury Saturday at Snowshed Wall, Donner Summit, CA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone here have any first- or second-hand info on the injury that happened Saturday at Snowshed Wall, Donner Summit, CA?

Here's what I know: at least five emergency vehicles drove past me and my girlfriend at the Black Wall on their way to Snowshed wall mid-afternoon on Saturday, August 27. Rescue personnel were at the base of Deception, Aerial, and Composure as we drove past, and were still there an hour later. A helicopter landed at the ski resort on the other side of the pass.

I didn't stop to inquire because when we went by it was clear that onlookers would have just been in the way, but if there are lessons to be learned from the accident, I'd love to hear more about it.

I hope whoever was injured has survived, and is on their way to recovery as I type.

-aB

slobmonster

Aug 29, 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2502 views)
Shortcut

Re: Injury Saturday at Snowshed Wall, Donner Summit, CA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's being discussed on Supertopo

bler

Aug 30, 2005, 6:35 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we did devaluation at snowshed on sunday, and we noticed a fair amount of blood just to the right of the start of it..

nothing too crazy though, i bled more from tearing up my cuticles later that day, then what was on the ground.

transientdirtbag

Aug 31, 2005, 7:14 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know this first hand as one of the climbers injured is a very good friend of mine. The two climbers are all-right all things considered. The guy who was spotting was just banged up pretty good, no hospital visit required. The second guy was medi-vaced to Washoe with a couple broken bones and two compressed discs in his back but is doing fine.

anson

Aug 31, 2005, 8:54 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know this first hand as one of the climbers injured is a very good friend of mine. The two climbers are all-right all things considered. The guy who was spotting was just banged up pretty good, no hospital visit required. The second guy was medi-vaced to Washoe with a couple broken bones and two compressed discs in his back but is doing fine.

Thanks for the info, and I'm glad to hear that they're doing OK. There are conflicting accounts of the fall itself...was the climber on the 5.10 direct start to Devaluation?

-aB

transientdirtbag

Sep 1, 2005, 6:18 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They weren't on the direct for Deval. The lead was getting ready to place his first piece on Composure and had a fluke grease, fell onto his spotter and took them both down to the bottom of Ariel. Their spirits are good right now and they truely apprieciate everybod's concerns.

anson

Sep 6, 2005, 3:39 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They weren't on the direct for Deval. The lead was getting ready to place his first piece on Composure and had a fluke grease, fell onto his spotter and took them both down to the bottom of Ariel. Their spirits are good right now and they truely apprieciate everybod's concerns.

Thanks for the clarification, and again I'm glad that everybody's on the mend. I believe the spotter is eligible for a medal--see the 'Ask the N00B' thread. :)

-aB

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook