RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

Partner j_ung

Aug 30, 2005, 1:32 PM
Post #1 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

6th Annual Women's Weekend: New River Gorge
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Climbing, instruction, food, raffles… what more could a woman want? How about all that, plus a supportive environment of other women for a whole weekend in the stunning New River Gorge? OK, you got it.

Join Sterling Rope and others for the 6th Annual Sterling Rope Women's Climbing Weekend. This two day fun-filled event is open to women of all ages and abilities. Climbing instruction will be held on both days at the beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Participants can register for one or both days. Don't miss out on this great opportunity to climb and socialize with some of the top women climbers in the country.

Instructors include: Lisa Hathaway, Julie Seyfert Lillis, Roxanna Brock (herself a prolific NRG first ascensionist!) and many other top women climbers.

Climbing instruction is open to women of all ages and ability levels. All climbers are strongly encouraged to register early. All ropes will be supplied. Demo shoes will be provided by Five Ten. All harnesses and other gear will be supplied by Petzl. For details, meeting times, registration, and other general information call Sterling Rope at 207-885-0330, e-mail Paul Niland directly (paul@sterlingrope.com) or visit their their website at sterlingrope.com

Saturday Nov. 12th 2005
Sunday Nov. 13th 2005
Early registration is recommended!

Cost: $75.00 for 1 day, $100.00 for 2 days. Includes all instruction, ropes, gear, (some) food, raffles, and entertainment.

Party, BBQ, and raffle to be held on Saturday night.

Partner j_ung

Aug 30, 2005, 1:43 PM
Post #2 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Re: 6th Annual Women's Weekend: New River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Aaaaaannnnnnd... here's the schedule for the weekend.

Saturday: November 12, 2005
8:00AM - Meet at WaterStone (If you plan on needing any gear, arrive early to allow extra time for sizing of shoes and harnesses.) All participants should bring food and beverages and pack accordingly as you will be climbing all day.

101 E. Wiseman Ave
Fayetteville, West Virginia
(304) 574-2425

8:00 – 9:00 Registration, group organization, etc.
9:00 – 4:00 Climbing
6:00 - 8:00 Party/BBQ at Burnwood
8:00 - 9:00 Slide Show by Roxanna Brock of her recent expedition to Siberia
9:00 - Raffles, etc

Sunday: November 13, 2005
8:00 - Meet upstairs at WaterStone

Partner j_ung

Aug 30, 2005, 1:44 PM
Post #3 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I got a trophy! Sweet!

microbarn

Aug 30, 2005, 2:12 PM
Post #4 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you check the dates on your post 2 above this?

I don't think they work out Nov 12th and Sept 18th???

Did you mean Nov 12 and Nov 13th?

Thanks for this, I will forward the info on to the female climbers I know.

ecocliffchick

Aug 30, 2005, 2:16 PM
Post #5 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you have to sign up for the instruction and use the gear - or can you just head to the New and climb and camp with other cool rock chicks and check out the slideshows, etc. ?

Partner j_ung

Aug 30, 2005, 6:02 PM
Post #6 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good question. I'm not sure, but I bet that'll be OK. Give Paul at Sterling a call or drop him an email.

Partner j_ung

Aug 30, 2005, 6:04 PM
Post #7 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Can you check the dates on your post 2 above this?

I don't think they work out Nov 12th and Sept 18th???

Did you mean Nov 12 and Nov 13th?

Thanks for this, I will forward the info on to the female climbers I know.

D'oh! Thanks!

microbarn

Aug 30, 2005, 6:20 PM
Post #8 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to wonder at this point. Are you doing this just to create extra bumps onto the front page???? :D It is a good idea if you are.

Where you made 13 bold. I think you need to change September to November.

Last I checked one weekend should not span ~11 months. :)

-Dan
who is happy to provide a bump

Partner neuroshock

Aug 30, 2005, 6:31 PM
Post #9 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Last I checked one weekend should not span ~11 months. :)
but what an awesome "weekend trip" that'd be! :D

Partner j_ung

Aug 30, 2005, 6:33 PM
Post #10 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol:

I swear I'm not doing it on purpose. But I also don't mind if it has that effect. :wink:

Partner j_ung

Aug 31, 2005, 7:07 PM
Post #11 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do you have to sign up for the instruction and use the gear - or can you just head to the New and climb and camp with other cool rock chicks and check out the slideshows, etc. ?

OK, word on the street is that you'd be welcome to hang for the slideshow Saturday night, but that the fee includes food, instruction, gear (if necessary) and camping. Without paying the fee, you can't have any of the other stuff.

BTW, I'm not the official contact for this thing. They just asked me to post up, that's all. Definitely feel free to contact Paul Niland at Sterling if you have questions. His info is in the OP.

Toodles!

wolfemom

Sep 4, 2005, 12:06 PM
Post #12 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This sounds like a lot of fun. My thinking is that since it is a women's event that it might be a more appropriate environment for my daughter than almost any other coed gathering. Can someone who has attending in previous years let me know if it's cool to bring my 9 year old? She sends 5.9s and projects 5.10s so she should be able to keep up with the climbing. I just want to know if it is socially appropriate for both her and the other women.

Thanks!

-wolfemom

gblauer

Sep 4, 2005, 12:11 PM
Post #13 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am thinking about driving from Philly area. Please PM me if you are interested in sharing a ride.

xx_811

Sep 15, 2005, 3:35 AM
Post #14 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Jay,
I am curious, is the price of the weekend at the New in Wv 100.00 or 80.00 as the Sterling site says??
Do you know?
Not that it matters, because it's an awesome opportunity regardless of price.
Thanks for posting the invite and info--

lewisiarediviva

Sep 15, 2005, 4:23 AM
Post #15 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My man said sure. Then he pointed out how far away this event would be for me. :cry:

But if I could travel that far east, I'd be asking if I could bring my 9 year old daughter too.

kimmyt

Sep 23, 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #16 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sterling Rope Women’s Climbing Weekend
November 12-13th 2005
New River Gorge, W VA.

It is that time again for another exciting Sterling Rope Women’s Climbing Weekend. This year we have added the spectacular setting of the New River Gorge as the backdrop for a great weekend of climbing, socializing and fun. Based upon the tremendous interest shown by women climbers we are looking forward to another large turnout and a fun weekend of climbing. I have listed below an overview of the weekend schedule. In addition, I have attached an application and waiver form. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call Sonya Becker or myself at 207-885-0330 or by email: paul@sterlingrope.com, sonya@sterlingrope.com. All applications may be sent to Sterling Rope 31 Washington Ave, Scarborough, ME 04072, Attn New River Gorge Weekend, by fax: 207-885-0033 or by email. Payment must be made in advance by check or VISA/MC.

Paul Niland
Marketing Director
Sterling Rope
31 Washington Ave
Scarborough, ME 04074
207-885-0330

COSTS:
$75 – 1 Day
$100 – 2 Days

Weekend Schedule:

Camping Info
We are very pleased to announce that the National Park Service is allowing us to use their Burnwood facility, which is located at the north end of the bridge, across the highway from the Visitor Center. We are lucky to have it. The fact that we are allowed to use it speaks to the long-term, productive partnership that has developed between the Park Service and the local climbers. It also means that we have not worn out our welcome in the last two years! Let's keep it up!
Here are the details:
• FREE!!! You are welcome to pitch your tent Thursday and stay through Sunday.
• PRIVATE!! As far as the eye can see, it'll be all climbers-great for group mojo!
• ON-SITE BOULDERS!! In case you still have forearms left at the end of the day.
• There are two pavilions on site. This is where parties, dinner, some slide show and clinics.
• Water: yes! Showers: Nope!
• Toilets: There are several permanent toilets and we will have a bunch of portajohns spread around the site
SLOW DOWN! The only problem the Park Service has noticed was that people drove a bit too fast. Please remember you are on vacation and 10 mph is fast enough to get you there! PARKING!! It is going to be tight so we ask that you keep in mind that we will be trying to park as many cars as possible in a limited space. So park smart! (i.e. close to each other!). Other Camping Options:
• Roger's Rocky Top Retreat. We understand that many of you are very loyal to Roger and will opt to stay there. No problem. Please try to carpool over to Burnwood. Designate your driver!
• Chestnut Creek Campground. Some of you are loyal to Brian so by all means, camp with him. His campground is less than a mile north, right off Lansing Rd.
• Best Non-camping Option: Opossum Creek Retreat 888-488-4836 Geoff has a variety of cool cabins for rent close to the event venue. If you want a bit more comfort (and a hot tub) this is your answer.
How to Get To Burnwood........

Weekend Format

All participants will be placed in groups according to their ability and experience levels from women climbers with no climbing experience up to women climbers who climb at the highest standards. So it is important to fill out your applications with as much information on your climbing abilities and interests so we can best match you with women of similar abilities. The focus of each day is primarily climbing with time set aside for skills and technique development. Additional techniques such as “mock leads”, anchor building, placement of gear, etc may be taught depending upon group interest and leader discretion.
All ropes, gear, demo shoes, harnesses, and helmets are provided.

Saturday: November 12, 2005
8:00 - Meet at WaterStone
101 E. Wiseman Ave
(304) 574-2425
http://www.waterstoneoutdoors.com for more info

9:00 – 4:00ish Climbing
4:00-8:00 Party/BBQ at the Burnwood Camping Area
8:00-9:00 Slide Show by Roxanna Brock of her recent expedition to Siberia
9:00 - Raffles, etc

Sunday: September 18, 2005
8:00- Meet upstairs at WaterStone
101 E. Wiseman Ave
(304) 574-2425
All participants should bring food and beverages and pack accordingly as you will be climbing all day.
If you planning on needing any gear, please arrive early to allow extra time for sizing of shoes and harnesses. Directions: go to either of the sites www.mapquest.com
www.mapblast.com and type in your starting address
With the Ending address 101 E. Wiseman Ave
(304) 574-2425

rock_ninja

Sep 23, 2005, 1:13 PM
Post #17 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hope you don't mind- I copied and pasted to my local group...
Has anyone been before? What's the vibe? Do a lot of people stay at Brian's (Chessnut Creek)? I like to sleep before I climb, but I don't want to miss the fun- I don't want 3 am drum circles, either, though!

kimmyt

Sep 23, 2005, 1:29 PM
Post #18 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, forgot to say, I've never been to one of these. I hope to go this year. This was from an email that Paul Niland sent me in response to some questions I had about the event, it may also be available in pdf format from sterling's website.

I wonder if they'll be offering discounts on sterling ropes purchased at the event? I've been thinking of getting a biathlon anyway, so if I could get one with a percent off, that would definitely make me wanna attend the event more...

K.

wonderwoman

Sep 23, 2005, 2:32 PM
Post #19 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I wonder if they'll be offering discounts on sterling ropes purchased at the event? I've been thinking of getting a biathlon anyway, so if I could get one with a percent off, that would definitely make me wanna attend the event more...

I volunteered at the sterling rope event they just did in NH. They did offer the ropes used over the weekend at a VERY discounted price to participants. Most were only used for that weekend. Some of them were brand new and were in their original coil. I got a 75m rope for real cheap, too! You should ask Paul if their doing it again.

I also have to say that I got a lot out of the weekend even though I was more of an instructor than a participant. I met a bunch of new climbing partners and made new friends. It was very rewarding!

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that a few years ago I won a pair of 5.10 Sapphire's and this year I won a pair of Prana shorts at the raffle. They have awesome prizes and will likely be raffling off a hot pink 'chick' rope.

The whole weekend was awesome. I'm going to do a trip report when I get some free time.

jamwvcc

Oct 27, 2005, 4:02 AM
Post #20 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey just wanted to let everyone know that it is already snowing in WV... not to far North of the Gorge... so be prepared for some chilly nights! Just drink a lot to stay warm!!!!

ivanaclimbalot

Nov 14, 2005, 9:18 PM
Post #21 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the weekend was a huge success! thanks to all who attended and volunteered. we had 68 women register, which is a whole lot of estrogen in Fayetteville!

i led a group of beginner ladies who'd never climbed outdoors before and we had the time of our lives. i know some of them are hooked now and will be back next year, if not sooner.

thanks Sterling, New River Mountain Guides, Water Stone Outdoors, and the National Park Service for putting on an awesome event!

Karen D

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook