RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

reprieve

Sep 7, 2005, 4:57 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Horseshoe Canyon Beta
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

I'm looking for beta on how to get to the Goat Cave/Mullet Buttress/Middle East. It seems like they are pretty close together, but what's the best way to get over there? Also, does anybody know if the trails are overgrown right now? Thanks.

drubt

Sep 7, 2005, 6:17 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Re: Horseshoe Canyon Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

buy the two dollar paper guide they have and follow the trail. My friends jsut went there this last weekend and said it was very much overgrown.

reprieve

Sep 7, 2005, 6:21 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i have the guide. i've been there plenty of times - it's a big place. trails can be hard to find if you don't know where you're going. i was looking for somebody to be a little more explicit than the guide. thanks

jaybird2

Sep 8, 2005, 5:49 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best time to find stuff there is when the leaves have fallen and the bushes are withered. In the midst of the summer, it looks like a different place when hiking around. The guide should be enough to get you anywhere around there, I don't see why you would have trouble finding it. Just park next to the register, spy the cliff, and head the general way.

dan4183

Sep 8, 2005, 6:35 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed there last weekend, the hike up to Mullet Buttress/Goat Cave is really overgrown with thorns and crap but the routes are great! Be sure to try business in the front, party in the back, and troubador at MB.
As for getting there, either:
-park at the kiosk and walk down past the barn and head left and up hill west/northwest (I think), when you get to the tree line, follow the trail up and to the left through the woods. When you come out of the woods, MB is up the hill on your right, through a winding safari of thorns and chiggers. Follow the cliff line west for a few more minutes to goat cave.
or...
-park at a little shoulder area on the left as you come into the ranch. there is a trail that goes down through the woods and should bring you up to goat cave (i have never taken this approach, a friend told me about it).

I hope this helps. My sense of direction isnt exactly compass-worthy

reprieve

Sep 8, 2005, 6:43 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the beta, all. i think i will try to avoid those walls as they sound hot and shitty this time of year. Dan, I was down there last weekend as well - part of the Mizzou group. Did I run into you?

dan4183

Sep 8, 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Possibly, i bouldered in the north forty saturday and saw some good sized groups, were you guys on crimp scampi? Also, if you were the dude who i accidentaly caught peeing, i apologize.

reprieve

Sep 8, 2005, 11:02 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ha! fortunately that was not me you caught peeing. we did spend some time around crimp scampi, but that freaking route always has a crowd at the bottom of it. you going to be down this weekend?

dan4183

Sep 9, 2005, 6:03 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not this weekend or the next, but once it cools off, ill be down every weekend that there isnt a Chiefs home game, hopefully. Ill post next time i do, i rarely get to climb with anyone other than my regular partner who is a 105 pound girl and hates belaying my whippers (and is a worthless spotter), so it would be cool to meet up sometime.

reprieve

Sep 9, 2005, 9:10 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was planned on heading down this afternoon but my partner bailed. Hope to see you down there in the future.

Kevin

ozoneclimber

Oct 2, 2005, 7:38 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know this is a little late but I just joined the other day. I live about an hour south-southwest of HCR and most of the climbing I have done in AR I did there. I haven't climbed at Goat Cave but Mullet Buttress and the Middle East are both great areas, to get there walk down past the barn, usually if someone is there they're pretty good about giving directions to us if we need them, then you go left, it's all pretty overgrown right now through to Nov., but you can get to Mullet Buttress without too much difficulty. Anytime you come down drop me a line, I'm looking for partners because there aren't hardly any climbers in my area.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook