RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

z_rock90

Sep 15, 2005, 1:36 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1427 views)
Shortcut

will it hurt the rope?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In my rope bag I thow all of my sport gear in with the rope, and roll it up, and carry it around. sometimes the chalk from my harness gets on the rope, but just a little, will it dig into the core?

johnathon78

Sep 15, 2005, 1:54 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1427 views)
Shortcut

Re: will it hurt the rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats a negative. Your gear and chalk will come into contact with your rope many of times while climbing, so, avoiding it is impossible. Nothing to worry about.

david.yount
Deleted

Sep 15, 2005, 3:36 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1427 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Magnesium Carbonate (gymnasts' chalk, also used by rock climbers, sometimes refered to as Talc) is not harmful to climbing ropes.

Relatively recent destructive tests (sorry I don't have the links) did not support the age-old idea that dirt/sand/debris may work its way into the core of a rope and then cause micro-abasions on the nylon-6 which would result in a weakened rope.

A few tests included rubbing "dirt" onto a rope and then repeatedly stepping on the soiled rope. Observed test result: no loss in strength.

It's never bad to be conservative with climbing ropes, but climbing chalk will not harm a rope.

david yount.

overlord

Sep 15, 2005, 4:02 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1427 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try saying that to someone whos been to thailand. a buddy of mine had to cut hes rope almost daily.

but chalk is fine. its dust particles are too smooth to cause any damage.

ledavis23

Sep 15, 2005, 4:23 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1427 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ropes can take much more of a beating than we often think. I've got a Maxim 60m rope that has been used for about 5 years, taken more than the number of falls it was rated for, and has one end where the last 30' of the rope's sheath is so worn that it feels like fleece. While I don't use it for leading anymore, it still makes a great TR rope. As far as ropes go, if you'd like to wash it, don't use bleach. If you put it in a machine use cold/cold on the gentle cycle and a small amount of a mild soap. It's always nice to have your rope nice and clean at the beginning of the season.
As far as textiles, what you really have to worry about is spectra and dyneema. Both highly sophistocated materials are very lightweight and strong, but have greater sensitivity to UV rays than cords. Webbing also will dry-rot through a season if it's sitting out in the sun at the top of your favorite climb.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook