Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Font with no car
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

superfox

Sep 16, 2005, 11:10 PM
Post #1 of 9 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Font with no car  (Europe: France: 01-_Paris_and_surroundings__Bleau_: Bleau___an_overview__do_not_add_routes_here_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wondering how being in Font was with no car. From what I've read, it seems like "Camping La Musardière" is the best campsite, and it is within walking distance of boulders. How close is the town (supermarkets, restuarants, etc) to the campgrouds? Also, will it be unreasonably cold camping in January? Thanks.

-Ned

sidepull

Sep 16, 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #2 of 9 (4974 views)
Shortcut

Re: Font with no car [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my experience was a bit idiosyncratic but I'll share for what it's worth. I was based in Paris for 10 days and tried to hit Font every day it wasn't raining (3 days). I found that it was very inconvenient unless I hitch hiked, to get to and from the boulders. I think if I had been camping it would have been different. However, when I do go back, I'm going to have a rental car and stay in the Formula One in Font.

andrewph

Sep 16, 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #3 of 9 (4975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How cold is too cold?

It will be feckin freezing but you might have a good sleeping bag and be ok with that. The cold makes for better boldering though. According to this it will be slightly above freezing around January but I would say thats pretty optimistic. Plus you gotta account for wind chill factor and all. Its gonna be cold.

Andy

axewielder

Sep 17, 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #4 of 9 (4975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump. ('cause I wanna go too)

Derek

thurgood

Sep 18, 2005, 12:45 AM
Post #5 of 9 (4974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

props to the formula one.

superfox

Sep 19, 2005, 1:51 AM
Post #6 of 9 (4974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its too far to walk to the boulders from formula 1 right?

charlet_poser

Sep 21, 2005, 3:33 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was in your situation last august, and with a little local help found that it was not terrible to be in paris and go to font. i took the green line towards melun (or montreaux, maybe one or both) and got off at bois-le-roi, a small town. then go out the train station past the bar (owner is super nice) and walk to the intersection, make a left, go ot the end, then make a right. take a side-street to the right called 'rue des coureurs'. this is the beginning of GR1 follow this path (red and white stripes on trees and posts) for 15-20 to get to the rocher canon (several good problems with ok landings) or keep going another 45mins to the bas cuvier where the awsome font stuff is at. its about 45-1hr train ride and 1hr to the cuvier, very doable during the day.
hope this helps some, any more questions, just pm me

Partner booger

Sep 21, 2005, 3:48 PM
Post #8 of 9 (4974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Paris to Font is easy on the train. The train runs regularly, and it's pretty cheap (around 11-15 Euros per trip).

Font to the boulders is another story. Prepare yourself for a decent hike (at least 10 miles or so) to hit any climbing area. To really enjoy Font, you will need a car. The forest is spread out, and though you can find climbing anywhere in the forest, you need a car to appreciate the variety of the area.

January is, as far as I'm concerned, too f*cking cold. My water bottles were frozen end of March this year. That said, the friction is supposed to be incomparable in the cold months and you'll see all the pros out there with their downies on, staring the eyeballs off the 8's.

If you need more specific info, let me know. Font is only 3 hours from me. I've been convinced more than once to drive down and take folks around for the weekend. :wink:

Cheers!
Taz

jgrierson

Sep 21, 2005, 3:55 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as you don't mind a little bit of a walk you will be fine.

The nearest good/big bouldering area to the campsite is at La Croix St Jerome, come out of the campsite, turn right and walk down the road about 500m and then turn left where it is signposted to La Croix St Jerome - probably a good 2 miles walk from this point but fairly flat.

Milly la foret is your nearest town, walkable in about 15-25 minutes depending on your inside leg measurement. Directions, you can go either way, right out of campsite, walk to end of road and get to crossroads, turn right keep walking and take L at roundabout and walk into centre of town, good bakery and little general store for most of your needs.

Have fun, I'm envious apart from the time of year - it will be cold :D

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook