Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Red Rocks Guide Book...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

lugor

Sep 21, 2005, 2:04 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2932 views)
Shortcut

Red Rocks Guide Book...  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Red_Rock_Canyon: A_Red_Rock_Overview)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi All,
Trying to plan a trip to Red Rocks in a few weeks. I'm trying to figure out what the best guide book is. I'll only be there for a few days and already have a few routes selected. However I've been told that the SuperTopo guide is evil, approach times are wrong, climb details are wrong, route finding is wrong, etc... Is that true? If that is the case what other guide book can I get? One that will get me to my crag and off the crag without an epic... Thx for any info!

ckirkwood9

Sep 21, 2005, 2:14 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2932 views)
Shortcut

Re: Red Rocks Guide Book... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just came back from red rocks. AWESOME. the weather was perfect. low 70 degree mornings, mid 80's during the day.

anyway - i used the brand new climbing guide by Roxanna Brock / Jared McMillen? it was published may/2005

Red Rock Canyon: A Climbing Guide
Author: Brock, Roxanna
Author: McMillen, Jared

it was excellent. great route maps, descriptions and ratings. good descriptions and details on approaches. Highly suggest this guide.

cheers

larryd

Sep 21, 2005, 2:55 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi All,
Trying to plan a trip to Red Rocks in a few weeks. I'm trying to figure out what the best guide book is. I'll only be there for a few days and already have a few routes selected. However I've been told that the SuperTopo guide is evil,.....

You've been misinformed. The Supertopo book is excellent, and probably the far and away best choice for an out-of-towner.

Larry

markc

Sep 21, 2005, 3:06 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
anyway - i used the brand new climbing guide by Roxanna Brock / Jared McMillen? it was published may/2005

Red Rock Canyon: A Climbing Guide
Author: Brock, Roxanna
Author: McMillen, Jared

it was excellent. great route maps, descriptions and ratings. good descriptions and details on approaches. Highly suggest this guide.

I heard about this book when I was researching guides for my trip in February. A guide released in spring wouldn't do much for me in winter, so I picked up the Swain and Supertopo guide. I've heard good things about the new guide, so I'll probably add it to my growing collection.

I think the Swain guide is more often criticized for pitch length and approach length problems than supertopo. The limitation with supertopo is the number of routes. Swain is much more comprehensive. We used both guides and found them useful (with the usual guide caveats). No guidebook in and of itself will prevent an epic. Have fun; I'm envious.

soulsurfer

Sep 21, 2005, 3:50 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The SuperTopo guide is awsome, but not a comprehensive guide to Red Rocks. If you are looking to do multipitch routes in the 5.6-5.10 range then the SuperTopo is an awsome guide book. I have not seen the new guide book by Roxanna so I cannot comment on it.

The Swain book is good but a little outdated as of 2005.

thatdude

Oct 26, 2010, 7:18 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lugor] Red Rocks Guide Book... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If your interested in bouldering, an exciting guide just came for all the areas around Las Vegas: Southern Nevada Bouldering. If Red Rocks gets to soggy, the book will be helpful in getting to the rocks on the east side of town which dry faster. See snellpress.com

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook