Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Red Rocks Multi Pitch Sport
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

whiskeybullets

Sep 22, 2005, 3:46 PM
Post #1 of 11 (9963 views)
Shortcut

Red Rocks Multi Pitch Sport  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Red_Rock_Canyon: A_Red_Rock_Overview)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll be in Las Vegas Oct 7-11 to do some sport climbing and had heard that the area hosted a variety of multi-pitch sport climbs. I'll be climbing in a party of three all of whom can solidly lead 10+ and below and could likely follow 11+ and below. Our rope gun can usually on site 11- in most areas. We'd like to find some interesting multi-pitch sport routes that are challenging but in the 10+ or below range, have good views, are suitable for a party of three, and would be appropriate for two climbers new to multi-pitch routes. Hanging belays are okay, but i'd like to avoid them if possible. Long, technical repels are also unwanted. I thought some of you Las Vegas locals would be willing to offer up some local beta.

Thanks in advance.

dub365

Sep 22, 2005, 5:05 PM
Post #2 of 11 (9963 views)
Shortcut

Re: Red Rocks Multi Pitch Sport [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

prince of darkness

atrocket

Sep 22, 2005, 9:29 PM
Post #3 of 11 (9963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Prince of Darkness is a kick-ass sustained 10+ sport route in Black Velvet Canyon, 5 long pitches (I think.. its been awhile) and almost every belay is hanging, I don't remember what the views were like.

There's a great 9+ Trad (17-18 pitches, I think) nearby, it's called Epinephrine and its one of the best 9's in RR (bring BIG gear).

good luck.

Partner drrock

Sep 22, 2005, 9:38 PM
Post #4 of 11 (9963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Prince of Darkness is fun. Don't know if it qualifies as interesting. Crimp and high step, repeat. You might also want a couple cams and nuts. First pitch (5.7) is 75 feet without bolts. Also there are a couple short boltless cracks that you could run out on pitch 3 and 5. But you might want to bring a little gear. Check it out in Black Velvet Canyon here on this site.

Partner drrock

Sep 22, 2005, 9:39 PM
Post #5 of 11 (9963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, it is 6 pitches, all hanging belays, and an easy rappel.

Partner drrock

Sep 22, 2005, 9:43 PM
Post #6 of 11 (9963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n.php?SectionID=5288

vegastradguy

Sep 22, 2005, 9:44 PM
Post #7 of 11 (9963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Prince of Darkness is a kick-ass sustained 10+ sport route in Black Velvet Canyon, 5 long pitches (I think.. its been awhile) and almost every belay is hanging, I don't remember what the views were like.

although its sporty in nature, you do have to solo the first 50' of 5.6 terrain to get to the route itself. there is a bolted belay at the base of the harder pitches.

there really arent many multipitch sport routes here- there's Dogma, which is hard .11...and i actually think it requires gear in places.

Unimpeachable Groping near Ginger Cracks in Juniper Canyon- goes .10+, but is runout in spots if you dont have gear with you.

That's really about it. This area really does not have many multipitch sport lines. It does have many tightly bolted trad climbs, but theres a big difference between the two.

In reply to:
There's a great 9+ Trad (17-18 pitches, I think) nearby, it's called Epinephrine and its one of the best 9's in RR (bring BIG gear).

Um, not quite. Epinephrine is 5.9 and ends up being between 10-12 pitches depending on how you link them. There was originally 18 pitches, but they're all super short and easily linked. Interestingly, despite it being known for its 5.9 chimneys, it does not require any gear larger than 3", nor does it require more than one piece of any given size for the leader who is confident at the grade. It is, however, widely regarded as one of the finest 5.9's in Red Rock, and is considered a must do for any trad climber who wants to climb here.

g
Deleted

Sep 22, 2005, 9:56 PM
Post #8 of 11 (9963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crimson Chrysalis, call it a run-out sport route. I'm not going to bring a rack if I ever get back on it.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...Area.php?AreaID=3685

atrocket

Sep 22, 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #9 of 11 (9963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanx for the clarification (to vegastradguy), as I said, its been a while since I've climbed (just getting back into it)- I remember Epi as a tough 5.9 and have been told its one of the better 9's in RR.

Crimson Chrysalis is a great route (5.8?), but watch out for the rope getting snagged, I had to wait 2 hours for two guys to free their rope (they ended up cutting it)- it made for a looong day.

tigerbythetail

Sep 22, 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #10 of 11 (9963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This link may help -

http://climbingredrocks.com/...nce_of_darkness.html

A cool site with lots of good beta.

boltdude

Sep 22, 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #11 of 11 (9963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'll be in Las Vegas Oct 7-11 to do some sport climbing and had heard that the area hosted a variety of multi-pitch sport climbs.
You heard incorrect information. While many people seem to think that there are multi-pitch sport routes in Red Rocks, there really isn't even a single one that qualifies without substantial runouts past gear placements. While many people tote Prince of Darkness as multi-pitch sport, that's only the case for people willing to solo 5.7 and run out 5.9/10a thin crack/face.

On the other hand, there are many top-quality multipitch routes with sport-bolted pitches on them, some pitches requiring nothing but draws, and those often include the crux pitches.

And Mt. Charleston has multi-pitch sport starting at 5.10d, although it will likely be too cold for most people in early October.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook