Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Graveyard Lakes Area
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

climbingcowboy

Aug 1, 2002, 9:25 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Graveyard Lakes Area  (North_America: United_States: California: Western_Sierra: Graveyard_Lakes)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Backpacked here many times its a long hike and best approached by hikeing towards Devils Bathtub (which has some cool trad and bouldering which ive done) these areas are undevolped as far as climbing go the backpacking trails however are well defined. Ive bouldered around Graveyard lakes but it to far for me to hike with all that weight. About 7-9 hrs hike in, the best is to stop over for a night in Devils Bathtub. If you stay at Devils a little known seceret is to walk over the boulders along the lake shore and camp on the back side much better also from there you will see the climbing nearby. Overall a VERY Beautiful Place with good climbing potential. The hike into Devils Bathtub is 4hrs.

jmlangford

Aug 1, 2002, 9:38 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Graveyard Lakes Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cowboy...I made my first trip to Graveyard in 1972 when I was 8. Been back numerous times since. Really, the best way is to hire that pack station to haul your stuff up the trail to Lower Graveyard Lake. It is only about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour hike with just a day pack. The cliffs above Graveyard are awesome. The bouldering potential is enormous. If you are interested, I have a ton of pics of the area, including over the ridge to the Anne/Peter Pande Lake area. PM me and I'll e-mail them to you. I'll look for a good pic of the cliffs. They're pretty impressive the way they drop straight into the lake. It is amazing the potential the backcountry has for climbing. Seems like the emphasis is on stuff you can park your car next to. Nothing beats the solitude of a nice wilderness area with nobody around to climb in.

climbingcowboy

Aug 1, 2002, 9:56 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Graveyard Lakes Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jm I stand corrected I was jugdeing my hiking time by going into devils then to the upper lakes of graveyard. I couldnt remember if the that nice wall (the one your talking about) was at the lowest lake or higher up its been years sincce I've been up there, I was just cruising through they routes section and noticed no had typed anything about it. If you wanna try somthing up there let me know. Its awesome, If I could figure out how to put pics on the computer I show mine to.

cgranite

Aug 6, 2003, 2:25 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Devils Bathtub [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've made a few trips to he bathtub, but as a backpacker, not as a climber.
Has anyone actually ascended the cliff behind the lake? I think that would be fun to do.
Also, I haven't been to the graveyard lakes, Is there better bouldering and climbing there, rather than the Bathtub?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook