Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ciayfields

Oct 24, 2005, 2:56 PM
Post #1 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Solo Speed Climbing Video. Impressive, but Idiotic
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just wanted to share this video:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/fastrockclimb.html

it's impressive to watch, but the climber is an idiot and will likely die one day from climbing related injuries.

Also, the camera work is fantastic, which makes me hesitant to believe that this guy actually does what the movie suggests. Has anyone heard of his antics before?

Solo speed climbing is Russian Roulette.

daithi

Oct 24, 2005, 3:12 PM
Post #2 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Re: Solo Speed Climbing Video. Impressive, but Idiotic [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but the climber is an idiot and will likely die one day from climbing related injuries.

The climber was Dan Osman and he did die but not from climbing. He died while performing a jump in Yosemite.

In my opinion Dan Osman was a legend who pushed the boundaries. Who are any of us to judge him? May he rest in peace.

Partner angry

Oct 24, 2005, 3:15 PM
Post #3 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Solo climbing is fast, big deal.

I assume you are talking about the Dan Osman video, do you know who Dan Osman is/was? I doubt it.

It's 400 feet of 5.7. Most people would free solo that in 10-15 minutes without pushing for time. So he makes a couple dyno's and moves a little quicker and gets it in 4.

Do you think you are going to stop people from soloing? Or was this to show us all what a small little person you are?

Quick get back inside the bubble!!!!!

epic_ed

Oct 24, 2005, 3:18 PM
Post #4 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So you're the rules and ethics police for climbing? Get a clue. We all do this sport for different reasons, but (access issues aside) there is no one who gets to tell you or me how we can climb. I'm way too much of a pussy to do anything close to what Dan Osman used to do (the guy in the video). Sounds like you are, too. Big deal. You climb how you want, and let the rest of us do the same without hearing another peep from your pie hole about what is safe, dangerous, or idiotic.

Dan O was legendary for his free solos, rope jumps, and other "on-the-edge" antics. He died in '98 during a rope jump accident. Do a search for more info -- plenty out there. He lived the way he saw fit. The Monday morning quarterbacking about his life is a bunch of judgmental tripe. Set your own standards for yourself and push your own limits. Don't try to deny others the right to do the same.

Ed

paulc

Oct 24, 2005, 3:18 PM
Post #5 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

it's impressive to watch, but the climber is an idiot and will likely die one day from climbing related injuries.

Also, the camera work is fantastic, which makes me hesitant to believe that this guy actually does what the movie suggests. Has anyone heard of his antics before?

While you are generally correct in your last statement, your overall tone shows no respect for your elders or betters. You would look like less of a douchebag if you thought for just one second before you spewed all over the internet.

Troll? Either that or immature insensitive noob.

Paul

vegastradguy

Oct 24, 2005, 3:20 PM
Post #6 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and here's the 4th topic since friday linking to that video on Ebaumsworld....

crimpandgo

Oct 24, 2005, 3:30 PM
Post #7 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Solo climbing is fast, big deal.

I assume you are talking about the Dan Osman video, do you know who Dan Osman is/was? I doubt it.

It's 400 feet of 5.7. Most people would free solo that in 10-15 minutes without pushing for time. So he makes a couple dyno's and moves a little quicker and gets it in 4.

Do you think you are going to stop people from soloing? Or was this to show us all what a small little person you are?

Quick get back inside the bubble!!!!!

This climb was covered in one of the commercially available climbing videos. I forget which one currently. Anyway, they show an outtake of one of the dynos he did later in the video. It is pretty clear he came within a fingernail of missing that move....

You people always want to make it sound like "ANYBODY could solo 5.7 in their sleep...".. Soloing is dangerous. Everyone has the right to voice their own opinions. However easy Dan made it look. Its still dangerous. And considered idiotic by some of the people in the climbing world.. Yeah even non-nOObs

fallingrock

Oct 24, 2005, 3:40 PM
Post #8 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, ciayfields, I have absolutely no problem with what you posted and I honestly don't understand why many respond with so much hostility. Take a chill pill.. christ.

Osman lived as he felt best. He died at young age doing it. If you don't fear death and are willing to entrust your life entirely to the pads of your fingers, then there is no reason to call his actions idiotic. If death is something you wish to avoid at all costs, then free-soloing may seem not all that intelligent and downright idiotic. Alternate life-perspective... Why do some people eat/smoke incessantly, knowing it will cut their life short? BECAUSE THEY LIKE IT.

fallingrock

Oct 24, 2005, 3:44 PM
Post #9 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and I forgot to add... my candyass nature prevents me from free-soloing... hell, i'm most afraid on unroped walkoffs.

onsight_endorphines

Oct 24, 2005, 3:47 PM
Post #10 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Set your own standards for yourself and push your own limits. Don't try to deny others the right to do the same.

Well said.

It's easy to sit back and spew when you don't have the balls to do it yourself. It certainly changes nothing........need popcorn for another round of MONDAY NIGHT QUARTERBACKING?

Considered idiotic by some people? And I care why? Dan's life is not yours, or mine, or anyone elses. Improve the V0- grip.

tradmanclimbs

Oct 24, 2005, 4:03 PM
Post #11 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love soloeing. I do treat it with respect though. Perhaps some day i will screw up and everyone will call me a moron. It is still pretty well documented however that Dan O was a thrill seeker and attention lover far beyond the normal relm of the climbing world. dan osmans early demise was a direct reflection of his reckless "watch this" way of life. people get all up in arms about it when ever someone disses their friend and in some cases Idol. the closer it is to the truth the more violent the reaction usualy is. that is human natuer. I lost my best friend in a fiery motor Cycle crash when we were both in our early twentys. jack was an extremly talented rider but he rode like he was on the track no matter where he was. it used to piss me off pretty bad to hear someone talk bad about him and say what an idiot he was. now 21 years later i can understand that they were pretty much speaking the truth and my friends demise was totaly predictable.

freezorburn

Oct 24, 2005, 4:09 PM
Post #12 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dan may he Rest in Peace, sounds like he was way to selfish.

His adventure seeking and jumping lead to his daugter growing up with out a father! He knew he was doing somthing so dangerouse that death was very possible.

She even called him the day he was going to break the record and begged him not to do it.

If the newpaper reports where right. He was selfish and the real tragety is the Pain and sorrow his dauter and wife feel. I'm sure the few seconds he had his last thoughts where of his family. This was a heatbreaking senceless trategy that could have been avoided. My prayers go to the family.

rockhound71

Oct 24, 2005, 4:21 PM
Post #13 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm...you know what I think...

:deadhorse:

...I think it's dead! :twisted:

Rockhound71

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.--Oliver Wendell Holmes

Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.--Ralph Waldo Emerson

onsight_endorphines

Oct 24, 2005, 4:27 PM
Post #14 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
now 21 years later i can understand that they were pretty much speaking the truth and my friends demise was totaly predictable.

Predictable, maybe. Idiocy? That's not our call. Isn't that the point of this conversation?

In reply to:
He was selfish and the real tragety is the Pain and sorrow his dauter and wife feel

You think all the blame lies with Dan? She had a child with him you numbskull! You don't think she took into account who he was?!

Ok screw this, I'm done. Should've never replied in the first place.

freezorburn

Oct 24, 2005, 5:01 PM
Post #15 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
He was selfish and the real tragety is the Pain and sorrow his dauter and wife feel

You think all the blame lies with Dan? She had a child with him you numbskull! You don't think she took into account who he was?!

Ok screw this, I'm done. Should've never replied in the first place.

onsight_endorphines
|
|
|
V

http://static.flickr.com/...620_87fe60a8d1_o.jpg

onsight_endorphines
|
|
|
V
http://static.flickr.com/...624_688edac9dd_o.jpg

onsight_endorphines

Oct 24, 2005, 5:24 PM
Post #16 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL! Awesome.

petsfed

Oct 24, 2005, 7:04 PM
Post #17 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, seriously, can you imagine how that conversation went if, you know, Osman's wife seriously didn't know what he did with his free time?

Officer: Ma'am, your husband was killed in a rope jumping accident...

Wife: Rope... jumping...?

Officer: Yes, he used rock climbing equipment to rig a bungee jumping system. It apparently failed.

Wife: He said he was going into the office. He said he was a lab technician for a rope building company. He said he liked to bring home the samples to play with them. I never knew he was into such things. [long] Oh it all makes sense! The climbing gear, the scraped ankles and knees, the ropes, the harnesses, the 3 week "training seminars" oh god, I thought he was just cheating on me! [weeps]

No, he and his wife knew the risks of climbing when they chose to have that kid. His personality drove him to do dangerous things, and if he left that alone, he would not have been the same person. So much so that he and his wife would never have been together. Osman was an impressively bold climber, well known for pushing himself, and his equipment, to the limits. It comes as no surprise to me then that his death was caused by equipment failure (albeit indirectly caused by pilot error), rather than a direct mistep on his part.

Finally, about being scared while unroped... If you're not scared while roped up, you're going to make a mistake. The mind takes things more seriously when its gripped. That's why even per capita there are more roped than unroped accidents in climbing (pick up Accidents in North American Mountaineering for proof). Safety breeds complacency. Don't forget that.

bensnyder

Oct 24, 2005, 7:09 PM
Post #18 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

stfu n00b!

icarus_burned

Oct 24, 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #19 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hes already up in the great gritstone in the sky, unfortunately, dont diss what you do not comprehend, its the mark of the un-educated

Partner robdotcalm

Oct 24, 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #20 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

«That's why even per capita there are more roped than unroped accidents in climbing (pick up Accidents in North American Mountaineering for proof).»

For a starter, ANAM is not a comprehensive account of accidents, e.g., over the years I'm aware of 2 fatal accidents at Vedauwoo, that never made it into ANAM. Others have reported similar omissions and mistakes. Secondly, what is the factual basis for the "per capita" assertion? That depends on unavailable data, say, the number of unroped pitches climbed each year in North American versus the number of roped pitches. It would also require decisions such as to whether a generally accepted third class pitch should count as an unroped pitch, etc.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

ciayfields

Oct 25, 2005, 1:02 PM
Post #21 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wanted to post this to share the video. as I said, I think it's an impressive stunt and yes, I do think it's foolish. That's my opinion, of which are you welcome to agree or disagree.

The point of those who criticized my post is well taken. I certainly should have done more research prior to posting anything with even mildly negative connotation. Perhaps the best forum post would be one that is thorough and considers all sides and opinions of a climbing style or lifestyle and one that makes no judgments on an individual who, from what you folks have said, climbed for thrills and loved it.

I appreciate those that shared actual facts of Dan Osman's climbing career instead of blasting my rights to post, even as a relatively new climber. With this posting experience, perhaps my future posts will be more accepted by this community.

onsight_endorphines

Oct 25, 2005, 1:40 PM
Post #22 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey at least you didn't get called a homo. !!

photon

Oct 25, 2005, 2:42 PM
Post #23 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dan is a legend and was a very kind guy. It's sure pathetic to see armchair mountaineer's like freezerburn wax away about Dan's life, kid and wife like he knew them personally. He lived life to the fullest and followed his heart and pushed the envelope of climbing and jumping. What have you done lately? I understand your mentality it sucks to be just another turd in the sewer of security doesn't it. But you can type about those that did and bash them like you have a right to do so-- climbing your peak of the mundane. It's ok your scared and soft, we can read the writing betewen the lines.

epic_ed

Oct 25, 2005, 2:55 PM
Post #24 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HOMO!!!

Ah, just joking. Yeah, we jumped on you a little hard. Some days I have a low tolerance for n00bs and n00b comments, and I particularly get upset when someone tries to define someone else's climbing experience. Your follow-up post is a good indicator that you'll do well around here and I look forward to seeing more input from you -- n00b questions and all.

Ed

Partner phaedrus

Oct 25, 2005, 3:00 PM
Post #25 of 31 (16812 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to View this Website.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : View this Website

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook