RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

naw

Oct 21, 2005, 5:59 PM
Post #1 of 2 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Two Good Days
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone ever feel like it's hard to have two really good days of climbing (leading) in a row, from a mental standpoint? Almost invariably, when I have a really solid day and my head is in good shape, I always get really nervous at the end of the day that I'll lose it and won't be able to perform the next day. It seems like it's some kind of magic for me to be climbing so well, without fear, and I feel like I can only hold it for so long before it slips through my fingers. I've had several trips where I did some of my most brilliant climbing the first day, and by the second morning I've given up on routes below my ability because of fear halfway up the route. In the Warrior's Way, Arno discusses that personal, internal motivation will solidify performance and build confidence, and maybe that's what I'm missing. Perhaps since I don't really feel confident about my abilities to begin with, I feel like I'm being given some kind of gift to be able to climb at a stronger level and it will be taken away again. Am I the only one who gets this kind of performance anxiety after a really good day?

nate

arnoilgner

Oct 25, 2005, 8:36 AM
Post #2 of 2 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Re: Two Good Days [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Nate,
Yes, I remember you and Sandy from the New.
Concerning your post...
Consistency will come as you reduce ego influences and develop a more solid base of valuing learning. Which brings me to...What do you mean by "good?" Getting to the top of routes? Climbing confident? Actually, I know what you mean by "good" but I'm asking if you know. If learning is the goal then you have just as many learning opportunities on "bad" performance days as on "good" performance days. Maybe even more.
Something to think about...and something to be aware of when you have those "bad" days.
arno

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook