Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Hey Boulder Climbers
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ecjohnson

Oct 26, 2005, 7:14 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1156 views)
Shortcut

Hey Boulder Climbers  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Boulder_Area: Flatirons_-_Third_Flatiron)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm coming up this weekend to do the 3rd flatiron. We are doing the standard east face. I was wondering if it's best to go left or right of the gash. The Topo on climbingboulder.com shows either, but the description says to go left. what's the difference? Also, how long of a day are we looking at. we're going to try to be on the rock by 7:00 a.m. I'll be leading, and I move quick, and all, don't know about my partner, but she's a strong sport climber, so I'm not worried.

Thanks!

flamer

Oct 26, 2005, 7:31 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1156 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hey Boulder Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, here is the skinny.

The original route went left of the gash, so if you're into thatgo that way. It is also the easier of the 2 variations, although not by much. You also get to do the step over the top of the gash, onto a large chockstone- which is about the only "exposed" move on the route.

If you go right of the gash the climbing is slightly harder(and I'll emphasis slightly) and the moves are alittle more asthetic. I would suggest running from the final Eyebolt belay at the base of the gash all the way to the summit. When I climb this route(so far around 25-30 times) I go right(having done both).

As far as how long it's going to take you.... that depends.
The first time I did it(11 years ago!) It took use like 8 hours...and was a full on epic. But that was the first multipitch climb I'd ever done, and my partner wasn't even into climbing, plus abunch of other reason's!!

Now I regulary solo it Car to Car in under an hour.

Moral is....only you know the answer to that one!!

HAVE FUN!!!!

josh

glyrocks

Oct 26, 2005, 7:58 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1156 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hey Boulder Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The first time I did it(11 years ago!) It took use like 8 hours...and was a full on epic. But that was the first multipitch climb I'd ever done, and my partner wasn't even into climbing, plus abunch of other reason's!!

Now I regulary solo it Car to Car in under an hour.

Hah, that reminds me of my first multipitch. Took us hours and hours to finsih. We got snowed on, got off route, freaked a few times, etc., etc. Now that I'm amazing and all I can do it car to car in an hour. Classic first time climbs are great stories.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook