Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

famineboy

Jan 5, 2003, 1:22 AM
Post #51 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Dan Osman: Any Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think that Dan-O was a man that did not compromise and in doing so he mastered his
own perception, for good or ill.This maybe a
slight digression but, I had heard of someone talking about some philosopher that had written a story about a man locked in a room with nothing and had no doors no nothing , and when they were talking they said to understand Dan Osman was to understand this story. Does anyone know what story this is? I want to understand Dan.Thanks for the beta.

[ This Message was edited by: famineboy on 2003-01-04 17:25 ]

rocknalaska

Jan 5, 2003, 1:52 AM
Post #52 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I never knew him personally, so I really can't say for certain what kind of person he is. However, the question was what I think of him.

I think he lived his life in the fullest way he knew how. This is admirable becuase too many people get mired down in societal expectations and don't look within themselves to see what they truly want. He obviously pushed himself physically, and I would guess that he did so philisophically as well, which is also admirable.

On the flip side, when it comes to safety and responsibility, he obviously made a bad choice, and probably had done so before. He may have escaped the consequences of making a bad choice for a while, but it eventually cuaght up with him. This disregard for the responibility of being a father is sad and is too common among climbers(and society). IMHO.

I respect and support those who push their limits, but when doing so jeopardizes your safety and you are responsible for another it is reprehensible.

Todd

famineboy

Jan 5, 2003, 2:50 AM
Post #53 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So its not easy to live by your own beliefs?
Is having people hate you a part of not compromising?Is it lonely? I should go somewhere else for this! I just wanna understand Dan! Climb on!

salathiel

Jan 5, 2003, 3:00 AM
Post #54 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Only the Gods can judge Dan Osman.

I'm sure the loss to his family and friends is devastating, to call him a hero or a nutcase, or some Jim Morrison like searcher is not what Dan was. Dan was a man, no more no less.
and he is still missed by friend and admirer alike.
Whenever I think of Dan I throw in some old school, pre sell out, metallica or Slayer and give the fist of metal to the gods.
Blur

pywiak

Jan 7, 2003, 12:49 AM
Post #55 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dan is still dead. You'll be too, sooner than you'd like. Will people talk about you when you're gone?

jono

Jan 25, 2003, 12:10 AM
Post #56 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea dan osman is my favorite climber. i read the book Fall of the Phantom Lord, it was great.

coclimber26

Jan 26, 2003, 3:35 AM
Post #57 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems like Dan pushed the limits in everything that he did. This is very admirable it is really to bad that it caught up with him. Just image where the sport and other sports would be today.

marcel

Jan 26, 2003, 4:18 AM
Post #58 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A very nice eulogy Sierramike!

michaelpaul

Feb 10, 2003, 5:52 PM
Post #59 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dan-O was probably one of the nicest people I've ever met! I was introduced to him by our mutual friend Tom Gilje when I was about 20, and they would sometimes come down from Hemet to climb at Woodson with me. When I heard the news I was Crushed! Anybody with something bad to say must never have met him! God Bless Him!

jgill

Feb 11, 2003, 4:26 AM
Post #60 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dan is in the Guiness Book of World Records, twice, I think. He may be the only rock climber mentioned. One entry is for an exceptionally fast free solo ascent.

elguapo

Feb 11, 2003, 4:41 AM
Post #61 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dan osman came as close to anyone i know of to possessing what Hidetaka Suzuki on Masters of Stone I refers to as "Yamato damashii" He translates it as basically, "do not be afraid... of death, just go to your purpose". I believe that's what Dan-O achieved. He knew more about himself than most of us will ever guess. People like this, like the samurai will be uncomfortable being bound to societal restraints, and must live free. Perhaps they are anachronistic, but they sure make life interesting.
peace

caseyhyer

Mar 6, 2003, 7:32 PM
Post #62 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I knew his best freind paul when I lived in south lake t. It sounded like they did alot of speed and had alot of fun.

Super bold climber. I have always admired him and his cool calm mind.

climblouisiana

Mar 6, 2003, 7:35 PM
Post #63 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He showed good style when onsight soloing 5.11 cracks.

itsreachyman

Mar 6, 2003, 7:46 PM
Post #64 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've read a lot about Dan Osman and the thing that strikes me more than anything was that he seemed to be searching for that something elusive in his life - maybe more than most of us which is maybe why he did things most of us would never do. I get the sense that he died well before he made peace with life, which (if it's true) would make his death sad.

radistrad

Oct 27, 2005, 4:10 PM
Post #65 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

dan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~jrblack/pix/hpress.jpg

eosman

Dec 18, 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #66 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Dan's daughter [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
in addition to my last post:

"He had hundreds of friends, thousands of fans, but no possesions, property or life insurance. All those who wish to financially help out his 12 year old daughter can send donations to:"

Emma Osman Trust Fund

c/o Andrea Osman-Brown

1760 Roper Court

Reno NV 89506

Next time you find some spare money in your pocket ....... they can use the help.

[ This Message was edited by: theamish on 2002-03-06 06:30 ]
I am his daughter, Emma and please don't send money to that address. My aunt is no longer living there or in charge of my account. I am 19 now not 12 and just because my father died it doesn't mean he wasn't a man. He was the man among all men. He taught me and everyone else in his life how to live our lives to the fullest and I was not orphaned when he died. I hadn't lived with my dad since I was 4. My mother raised me and did a great job of it, so don't worry about me being orphaned. Between all the family i have and all his best friends, I was well taken care of.
http://i19.photobucket.com/...-16-2005110148PM.jpg

billl7

Dec 18, 2005, 3:18 AM
Post #67 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Re: Dan's daughter [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am his daughter, Emma and please don't send money to that address. My aunt is no longer living there or in charge of my account. I am 19 now not 12 and just because my father died it doesn't mean he wasn't a man. He was the man among all men. He taught me and everyone else in his life how to live our lives to the fullest and I was not orphaned when he died. I hadn't lived with my dad since I was 4. My mother raised me and did a great job of it, so don't worry about me being orphaned. Between all the family i have and all his best friends, I was well taken care of.

Hi Emma,

Thanks for clearing that up for us. Well said. Yes, time has passed.

I did not know your father but I assume that the pic you posted includes you and he years ago. I appreciate your posting it, a picture reminding us of the dear ones we had/have/will have beyond our climbing partners.

Bill

robinteply

Jan 12, 2006, 7:25 PM
Post #68 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

energy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

graniteboy , your sentence:
"Old Age and Treachery will overcome youth and beauty every time."
is a "physical" nonsense :-)

There are big energies and short times and small energies and long times , and all the spectra in between .
Some things what big energies could do in short time , small energies can't do in any time given to them , and vice versa .
This holds under anyhow effective distribution of performance in time .

So , both phenomenons contribute to our diverse nature uniquely and therefore incommutably .

Dan Osman was a phenomenon of big energy with all it's attributes , who was able to distribute his performance so effectively , that energy of all his life can fulfill many lives full of happiness , on my opinion .

His ability to share his life energy with others using his method gives a vivid nature to many of us at any age , whenever we connect to him somehow , by video for example .

I hope his daughter loves him like he was and is .
He is placed in time-space where no coordinate has priority (according to Special Relativity :-)) so time has no special sense .

Feb 24, 2006, 6:22 PM
Post #69 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Re: Dan's daughter [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
He was the man among all men. He taught me and everyone else in his life how to live our lives to the fullest

Indeed. He is still teaching.

Mr. Paul's comment pretty much nails it. I feel blessed to have known your dad and have a few adventures with him.

Among (so many) other things, your father was a helluva bassist. We used to get together for a jam session every now and then. Some of my best memories of him are not stuff like jumping Foresthill, climbing at the Cave or the Warrior Pit, but of your dad laying down a funky line capped off by a vicious slide. 8^)

Take care

reg

Feb 24, 2006, 6:53 PM
Post #70 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

dano [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bartlax (page 1) here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/...833?%5Fencoding=UTF8
think i'll buy one. i think dan was a talented climber but wasted his life. listening to him talk (and lookin into his eyes) about "some guardian angels that need a paid vacation" (stone V ?) you could see a gentleness and intelligence that i think was thrown away.

quiteatingmysteak

Jun 7, 2006, 9:38 PM
Post #71 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Re: dano [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Being bold is nothing new, and it seems that with a few exceptions (Grit climbing, though "headpointed" often, is a PRIME example) we have digressed in our style.

What was common 30, 40 or even 50 years ago now deserves the R/X rating, What is now insane was the rules of the trade.

Climbing wasn't readily available for anyone with a rope and a rack, the few that practiced it were masters of their trade.

Climbed The Naked Edge with bongs and a swami belt? The Open Book with 2x4's? I haven't! People have ALWAYS been bold, and Dan Osmand was just that... bold. Too bold for our generation? I think not. Him, Potter, Reardon, O'Neil, Bachar, Croft, these climbings would fit into the ranks of any hardman of the 60's and 70's, but there are so few of them we forget that they are as integral to our climbing community as the rock itself ^^

(p.s. ---- IMO!) :P

glowering

Jun 7, 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #72 of 72 (32063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I lost a good friend in a similar way. They were both people who lived life to the fullest and died when they made a decision that was not well thought out (i.e. Dano deciding to change his jump location on his last jump, which in all likelihood was the primary factor in the accident).

The more risks people take, the more they need to be careful and think out what they are going to do.

So my thoughts are: when you deviate from your plans, take a step back and carefully analyze your new plan as well as you did your original plan. It's easy to get caught up in the moment and forget than any mistake can spell disaster. This just isn't for unique activities like rope jumping, but climbing in general, or any situation where the potential for disaster is looming. For a more mundane example I was caught behind a slow party on a wall once and spent an extra few hours baking in the sun but didn't think about how I would need more water. I ran out, got dehydrated, and ended up puking blood and having to bail. I needed to rethink my plans and adjust, but I got caught up in what I was doing.

Finally, Dano was badass and as fun as hell to watch.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook