Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Competition Climbing:
How TO GET PEOPLE TO COME TO YOUR LOCAL COMP!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

kansasclimber

Nov 1, 2005, 3:02 AM
Post #1 of 10 (2991 views)
Shortcut

How TO GET PEOPLE TO COME TO YOUR LOCAL COMP!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We are having a comp here in wichita, ks, and it is an abs event. The gyms around like in Kansas City, and in Tulsa are not having comps this year, so hopefully we can pick up the slack of those 2 comps, but how do we get those people to travel to our comp. I know we can send flyers, but anything else?? AND JUST SO YOU KNOW, for those that can come....:

ABS EVENT:
WICHITA, KS
Kansas Cliff Club
NEW BOULDERING ROOM!!
GOOD PRIZES!!!
FOR MORE INFO:http://www.kansascliffclub.com

Stephen

manacubus

Nov 1, 2005, 4:45 AM
Post #2 of 10 (2991 views)
Shortcut

Re: How TO GET PEOPLE TO COME TO YOUR LOCAL COMP!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just competed in a State-level bouldering championship on Sunday. Third prize was a block of chalk. Second place scored an accessory biner. First place was a regular biner. Entry fee was $20.

This is an example of how not to get people to come to your comp. Hope it helps! :)

samxbam8

Nov 1, 2005, 2:05 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Free Food :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

keinangst

Nov 1, 2005, 2:23 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you tried shouting?

;)

theledge

Nov 9, 2005, 5:04 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We are having similar problems. I post information as many places as I can, we tried sending out letters, (it cost us a bunch of postage and no one came), we do local radio and newspaper. None of this is helping around here. Our comp is not all that big, and we are kinda remote so I am not overly surprised. What bothers me is the locals complaining about a fifteen dollar entrance fee that includes a t-shirt, half off shoe deal, magazines, prizes to first in each devision that include harness, shoes, headlamp, holds, clothing, gift certificates, and any of the prizes that are left over after that get rafled to the folks that did not place first. Oh yeah, we have food too. Any more than this and I think we will have to pay people to come.

dlintz

Nov 9, 2005, 5:39 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We are having similar problems. I post information as many places as I can, we tried sending out letters, (it cost us a bunch of postage and no one came), we do local radio and newspaper. None of this is helping around here. Our comp is not all that big, and we are kinda remote so I am not overly surprised. What bothers me is the locals complaining about a fifteen dollar entrance fee that includes a t-shirt, half off shoe deal, magazines, prizes to first in each devision that include harness, shoes, headlamp, holds, clothing, gift certificates, and any of the prizes that are left over after that get rafled to the folks that did not place first. Oh yeah, we have food too. Any more than this and I think we will have to pay people to come.

Sounds like a good deal for $15. If I wasn't so far away I'd show up. 8^)

An after comp party might bring in a few more people especially if there's free beer.

d.

theledge

Nov 14, 2005, 11:14 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We had an unaficial after comp partywith a pit roasted turkey and a keg of Fat Tire. All in all it was a great day of climbing and partying with friends until my buds John and Shaggy tried to rally my truck through a field and rolled it. Oh well. At least I am going back to Indian Creek for T-day weekend.

veganboyjosh

Nov 14, 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think it was in one of the mags (climbing or rock and ice), or possibly in a thread on this website, which had a really good article about how to do this.

some of the main points i remember:

have somethign going on at all times. while the scores are tallied, have something else going on that's entertaining to the contestants and families and nonclimbers in attendance. this way they enjoy being there as well as those who get to climb.

evenly distribute the prizes. instead of (no offense to the previous poster) raffling off prizes to other than those who placed first, distribute them to those who placed so that as many people as possible will go home with something. even if it means the person who got 16th place in the noob category gets a block of chalk, at least they'll know that you guys throw down the prizes next time, and will have something to show for having competed. if the only person to walk away with a prize is the local rock star gym rat, then i'm not gonna wanna compete in another comp, you know?

the article had some other good stuff, and i wish i knew where i saw it, cos it was pretty helpful. i guess thinking about it, the article was more about how to make your comp successful, but if it's no fun, and it's run crappily, then no one's gonna come next time, right?

good luck, and remember to have fun.

dingus

Nov 15, 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need to incorporate sex into both the comp and the advertisements.

DMT

Partner gunksgoer

Nov 15, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tell people that all the cool kids will be there.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook