RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

xanx

Aug 6, 2002, 5:38 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1675 views)
Shortcut

yo
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edited into oblivion...

mcsosar3456

Aug 6, 2002, 6:11 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1675 views)
Shortcut

yo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

man have a blast up in rummney. i did my first v5 (inverted siberian husky) there on a really really cold winter day with joe kinder. i didnt know who he was at the time except he was really really strong.

back to your question, boulder problems are pretty much as you described them. consider all the holds on the route on unless the guidebook says they are off or some local. you will get the hang of it. its not that hard. but most of all, above everything else, have fun, go out and just climb the coolest things around. try the zig zag crack, its pretty straighforward to what the line is and it is definitely a classic, even if it is only a V1 or so. have fun. drink beer. climb rocks.

pushfurther

Aug 6, 2002, 9:22 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1675 views)
Shortcut

yo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if it is your first time outdoors, i wouldn't worry about climbing specific problems..just look for something that looks cool, and have fun.

good luck out there, and let us know how it goes.

bolder

Aug 6, 2002, 9:35 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1675 views)
Shortcut

yo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you worried about numbers or having fun? Just go out and climb. Maybe you will realize that the gym sucks, so you shouldn't worry about there rules. They don't necessarily coincide with REAL climbing rules. We do this to have fun, right?

drewcoleman

Aug 6, 2002, 10:01 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1675 views)
Shortcut

yo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb what look sick and fun!

Climb on!!!!

xanx

Aug 7, 2002, 1:11 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1675 views)
Shortcut

yo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks dudes; ill look for that crack problem. i think ill buy a guide book too so i know what im doing.

topher

Aug 8, 2002, 1:55 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1675 views)
Shortcut

yo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it doesnt matter hows about that. I find that the people that just run around and climb any thing and every thing have more fun then the people that only do 3 star ptoblems. thats the thing with bouldering if its going be way to hard for you, ya got to options, 1 work the sucker till you can get it (or have no more skin) or 2 walk around and find some thing eles. its great you dont have to worrie about getting stuck up on some cliff. this is how i rate stuff V fun V hard V easy V scary V high and V choss (we have alot a crapy rock where i live. go out side and have fun.

(one last thing if you find you cant climb hard out side dont get made it totaly diffrent then indoors and by diffrent i meen better)

jgill

Aug 9, 2002, 4:27 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1675 views)
Shortcut

yo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's the ultimate climbing game, Xanx.
Each time you go out with fellow boulderers, make up the rules that you will follow for that session by consensus. On the other hand, if you want to actually compete in a more formal sense with others who have established the routes, follow the restrictions they have imposed. Whoever gets up a problem first usually sets the conditions. But, you can always do your own variations (dynamic vs. static, etc.) and in essence create a new problem. The same section of rock can yield several different "problems", in contrast(usually) to a traditional pitch on a regular climb. The main purpose should be to have fun, though!

rocknalaska

Aug 14, 2002, 10:53 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1675 views)
Shortcut

yo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with John. Although personally I find that my favorite problems are the ones that have just enough holds to be climbed and no more (this is relative to your ability though).

Good Luck on your trip.

Silently thinking--you lucky bastard, its been raining here for the last two weeks, I want to get out.............I need to get out.............Must go.............

Todd

mickey

Aug 15, 2002, 6:33 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1675 views)
Shortcut

yo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you get lucky and your somewhere a lot of people have been previously, then the route should already be chalked out for you. You may also be able to tell by the wear on the rock.

Just thought I would let you know what I have experienced. If your ever in Ontario, Canada you should check out Niagara Glen. There is some wicked bouldering down there. Anyway, enjoy and have fun!

climbjs

Aug 15, 2002, 6:46 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1675 views)
Shortcut

yo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any advice or suggestions from John are gold. Just have fun!
I always ask people who have done the problem(s) if I have any questions.

[ This Message was edited by: climbjs on 2002-08-15 11:46 ]

markd

Aug 16, 2002, 12:11 AM
Post #12 of 12 (1675 views)
Shortcut

yo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Find a good looking boulder, start it where you want and end it where you want. You'll have much more fun this way.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook