Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Sunday Afternoon Slabs
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ropeboy

Nov 9, 2005, 1:00 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Sunday Afternoon Slabs  (North_America: United_States: California: Western_Sierra: Tollhouse_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I see that the Sunday Slabs name has become associated a different beginner's area through common use over the decades. "Sunday Afternoon Slab and the Beginner's Area" are the original names dating from 1971 for the slabs south of the descent gully and and below the 4wd parking area. The so called Hippo Wall had no routes on it at that time.

fng

Nov 9, 2005, 3:23 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sunday Afternoon Slabs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Where did you get that info? If it is in the book I missed it. I was always told to the climbers left of the trail was 'Sunday Slabs'. To the right I always called it Center Crack Wall for lack of knowing the actual name.

Thanks for the info by the way. I always like the history.

ropeboy

Nov 9, 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sunday Afternoon Slabs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I moved to Fresno in early 72 and climbed with a group of Fresno friends. I learned the name Sunday Afternoon Slabs from them, and they knew the climbers who put in a few earlier lines in 1970. At that time the main face of Tollhouse only had the Upper Traverse and the Tollhouse Traverse routes on it. There were a few short problems done at the base but that's about it, no other routes on the main face! The Turret area had about three known and named routes on it like The Fart and The Snake. The so called Hippo Wall had no bolts or routes on it and we had no name for it. That leaves Sunday Afternoon Slab with Center Crack and Diretissima. It was called Sunday Afternoon Slab or The Beginners Area because that is where we would start the beginners with easy top rope climbing.
So at that time: Hippo was just some blank rock, beginners were started at our Sunday Afternoon Slabs.
Now let's beam back to 2005. It is common for the current generation to take today's beginners to the Hippo area and they have incorrectly used the Sunday Slabs name for it. It is not historically accurate but who cares? I don't. We are only talking about a local practice crag with two different beginner's areas. The beginners have just as much fun on a Sunday Afternoon at either area.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$17.55 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook