Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing in Arizona - Where to Go?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

abbysomebody

Nov 10, 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #1 of 13 (8945 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Arizona - Where to Go?  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Southern: Cochise_Stronghold)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A friend and I have to drop someone off at the Phoenix airport during Thanksgiving week, after which we were going to either drive up to Indian Creek, or stay in Arizona and climb (we have to pick the friend up again in Phoenix after Thanksgiving). Neither of us has climbed in Arizona, and we'd be psyched to check it out, but aren't sure where to go. Cochise, Mt. Lemmon, Paradise Forks, and Sedona have all come up in conversations with people about the best places to climb in Arizona (we're interested mainly in trad), so which would you recommend and why.

crackaddict

Nov 10, 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #2 of 13 (8943 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in Arizona - Where to Go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Drive to Indian Creek!

Then you can hit Sedona on the way. Or even Granite Mtn. Paridise Forks would be nice also on that trip. It will take you a little out of the way but it is worth it.

Lemmon and Cochise are awesome but would pretty much keep you in Southern AZ. These two are better picks if the weather is bad up north.

Have fun!

pjbrabham

Nov 11, 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #3 of 13 (8943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From PHX, IC will probably be 6+ hours. Sure it's a special place, but being farther north, you are more exposed to the vagaries of the winter weather. Cochise Stronghold is a 3.5 hour drive, will undoubtedly have better weather, and is one of the most unusual climbing areas in the US.... the granite spires jutting out of the AZ desert are adorned with brilliant green and yellow lichen. It's mostly trad, super exposed, and the sunsets are INCREDIBLE. I woudn't recommend either place highly if you can't lead 5.10, but the Stronghold probably offers more classic moderates than the creek...ENJOY!

climbsomething

Nov 11, 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #4 of 13 (8943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Stronghold and Indian Creek are apples and oranges, not to mention in totally opposite directions. Remote, multipitch granite domes, or shorter sandstone splitters? Just depends on your preference. I'd vote for chasing sun in Sedona en route to/from IC... my Sedona experience is limited, but it's absolutely gorgeous there. And it keeps the desert choss spirit alive.

desrtrockrat

Nov 11, 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #5 of 13 (8943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arizona has some great crags no matter where you go. Go north and you'll get 60-70 degree temps and tons of variety in rock. Granite Mtn. and Sedona will give you longer multi pitch stuff, and the Forks and Waterfall areas are sweet basalt crags, with the Waterfall area being more on the warmer side. Isolation Canyon, Winslow Wall.. the list goes on and on.

Go south and you'll get 70-80 degree days and a little longer of drives to go to different places so you'll be more likely to stay in Cochise or Mt. Lemmon. Both are great and worth the time.

I guess it depends on where you go. If you go north and your having problems finding stuff or whatever, you can stop in the gym in downtown Flagstaff and they're great people with tons of info. Go south and Cochise could entertain you the entire trip. If your in the Phnx area you also may want to check out the Superstitions.

The weather tends to follow suit for most of the state. If a system comes through it could be wet everywhere with perhaps Cochise being the exception. But often the entire state is devoid of clouds. So far November has been a great month for weather here so you could be in for a great trip.

climbsomething

Nov 11, 2005, 12:25 AM
Post #6 of 13 (8943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

November has been freakishy warm is more like it!

superbum

Nov 11, 2005, 5:33 PM
Post #7 of 13 (8943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dud...just go into downtown flagstaff. Park your car. Head to the Wine Loft. Get smashed. Walk outside, cross the street and sack up and do the Sobriety Test. Best route in AZ!!! :D

jt512

Nov 11, 2005, 5:53 PM
Post #8 of 13 (8943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
dud...just go into downtown flagstaff. Park your car. Head to the Wine Loft.

Faced with a choice between Paradise Forks and the Wine Loft, I'd go with the Wine Loft, and then, for a surrealistic/gothic/just-plain-weird experience, hit the Monte Vista for a nightcap.

Jay

crackaddict

Nov 11, 2005, 8:59 PM
Post #9 of 13 (8943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
dud...just go into downtown flagstaff. Park your car. Head to the Wine Loft. Get smashed. Walk outside, cross the street and sack up and do the Sobriety Test. Best route in AZ!!! :D

Ahhh! Sobriety test! I remember many drunken attempts at this fist jam classic.

climbsomething

Nov 11, 2005, 9:08 PM
Post #10 of 13 (8943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
dud...just go into downtown flagstaff. Park your car. Head to the Wine Loft.

Faced with a choice between Paradise Forks and the Wine Loft, I'd go with the Wine Loft, and then, for a surrealistic/gothic/just-plain-weird experience, hit the Monte Vista for a nightcap.

Jay
http://hillarydavis.com/...le/jaywineloft-1.jpg
*giggle*

boadman

Nov 11, 2005, 9:37 PM
Post #11 of 13 (8943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are also remote desert towers...

In reply to:
The Stronghold and Indian Creek are apples and oranges, not to mention in totally opposite directions. Remote, multipitch granite domes, or shorter sandstone splitters? Just depends on your preference. I'd vote for chasing sun in Sedona en route to/from IC... my Sedona experience is limited, but it's absolutely gorgeous there. And it keeps the desert choss spirit alive.

climbsomething

Nov 11, 2005, 9:38 PM
Post #12 of 13 (8943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Exactly. A good compromise, eh?

hmsims

Nov 14, 2005, 3:59 AM
Post #13 of 13 (8943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Desert=Sandstone. If that is the experience that you want then Sedona is the place to hit. Single, multi-pitch trad at all different levels. The weather seems to be holding here fairly well, not much rain yet this fall.

If you'd like more information about some recommendations here let me know and I will be happy to provide. Or just stop by Canyon Outfitters here in West Sedona, they will give you some Beta as well as my number probably for more info.

BTW 2-2.5 hrs out of Phoenix. Camping, primitive and facility campsites are available. And if you feel like running up to Flagstaff, 30min to an hour away up a canyon full of climbing as you go.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook