Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

stabla

Nov 15, 2005, 3:56 PM
Post #1 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Flying with Trad Gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I fly quite a bit, back and fourth from school to home(MN to SC), and was wondering how you guys pack your racks with you for the plane. Do you use any spceial technique in packing them(padding/container)? Or do you simply just shove it in a bag, which is what i do currently. But i have noticed its kinda "tweaking" my cams a little. Just wondering if there was a more efficient way to pack 'em. Thanks for your time
yahtzee!

Partner heiko

Nov 15, 2005, 4:06 PM
Post #2 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Re: Flying with Trad Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Protection I wrap in a cotton bag and place them somewhere in the middle of my backpack so that they're kind of surrounded by soft stuff like clothes etc. Rest just gets jammed in anywhere, helmet goes last, on top. Harness, shoes and chalkbag go in carry-on.

Partner climboard

Nov 15, 2005, 4:12 PM
Post #3 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I stuff mine in a BD Bullet pack and then put that in my luggage. I think a stuff sack would work pretty well.

landgolier

Nov 15, 2005, 4:13 PM
Post #4 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cams to about 3" I pack by laying down a pair of jeans folded in half so the legs are together, and then putting the cams on there about every 6-8" in alternating directions. Roll 'em up and you're done. Aliens I just roll up in a shirt, no need to do the alternating thing since the heads are so small. Big cams I just kind of stuff socks and shirts around. Hardsider suitcase makes things way easier since stuff won't move around, but not necessary.

Partner pasha

Nov 15, 2005, 4:22 PM
Post #5 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually put my rack in a stuff sack and place it somewhere in the middle of the bag. No damage so far.
I was wondering, have anyone tried taking it on the plain as a carry-on, and, if so, what was your security check experience?

Partner pasha

Nov 15, 2005, 4:22 PM
Post #6 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually put my rack in a stuff sack and place it somewhere in the middle of the bag. No damage so far.
I was wondering, have anyone tried taking it on the plain as a carry-on, and, if so, what was your security check experience?

Partner heiko

Nov 15, 2005, 4:49 PM
Post #7 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I remember a thread about this topic somewhere on RC not too long ago. Don't have the link now, but there's always the search... ;-)

core

Nov 15, 2005, 5:06 PM
Post #8 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why the extra care?

I don't see much of a difference between stuffing your gear into a pack and hauling it to the local crag and stuffing your gear in a pack and tossing it on a plane. (I do both).

I notice my cams are more tweaked from use, rather than shipping.

reg

Nov 15, 2005, 5:08 PM
Post #9 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

w0w - i did not consider this when flying to CO.! i merely put my full crag pack in a canvass duffel and off it went - no damage. maybe i was lucky!

Partner heiko

Nov 15, 2005, 5:09 PM
Post #10 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why the extra care?

I don't see much of a difference between stuffing your gear into a pack and hauling it to the local crag and stuffing your gear in a pack and tossing it on a plane. (I do both).

Because "sometimes" these very motivated and careful people packing bags in and out of airplanes just don't give a sh|t about what they might break.

Of course I share your opinion that a piece of protection is usually made to be quite sturdy ;-)

Partner climboard

Nov 15, 2005, 5:28 PM
Post #11 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why the extra care?

I notice my cams are more tweaked from use, rather than shipping.

I do it to protect my luggage as much as my gear. I've had overstuffed packs get thin spots or holes where a piece of gear was pushing outwards on the fabric.

tradgal

Nov 15, 2005, 5:30 PM
Post #12 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cam your cams and place a dowel rod through the lobes of the cam to keep it in this position. Then put somewhere in the center of bag.

A friend of mine travels with only his backpack (as a carry on) and the clothes on his back. He has never had any problems. I got more shit from security for having an envelope full of papers, pens and misc items in my carry on. They actually sat there and took apart my small bullet pack and every item inside just to find a couple pens. Crazy.

And, I suggest not completely locking down the bag with your gear. While going through customs in Mexico, we made of the mistake of methodically duct taping our bags closed so that nothing would fall out, get lost or get stolen. We sat in front of two guards while they destoyed our fantastic packing job and put the contents of our bags on the floor.

granite_grrl

Nov 16, 2005, 12:07 PM
Post #13 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I figure my gear goes through more abuse at the crag than what baggage handlers will do to it. Last time I flew I stuffed an old LL Bean backpack with my rack (if I had put it in my main duffle I would have been over the weight restrictions).

The ony worry that I could have is the gear ripping holes in the pack. I keep all my gear strung together, assuming that it would have to be a pretty gaping big hole for my gear to fall out. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to wrap the gear in a few layers of clothes just to avoid that.

markc

Nov 16, 2005, 1:54 PM
Post #14 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I stuff mine in a BD Bullet pack and then put that in my luggage. I think a stuff sack would work pretty well.

I've flown with my rack on a couple of occasions. I organized gear into groups, and packed the items I was more concerned with in the middle of my pack. I wrapped my protection in a towel and put it all in a bullet pack. That went into the middle with softworks around it.

I removed my waistbelt so there would be one less thing to get caught up on anything in the conveyor belts. I used this as added padding inside the pack. So far all of my gear has arrived in good condition. I had the pleasure of watching baggage handlers throw my pack from the cart to the conveyor belt. Let's just say I was happy I took the time to pack well.

sausalito

Nov 16, 2005, 2:48 PM
Post #15 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I flew with my rack a few weeks ago. I just put all of my active peices in a carry on and print out an explanation of what they are and hand that to the bag checkers. Any additional gear I put in a large pack that is lined on teh inside with my sleeping bag and pad.

mtnbkrxtrordnair

Nov 16, 2005, 3:00 PM
Post #16 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget to lay out all your gear on the floor and snap a picture before you stuff it all in the pack. It's not unheard of for stuff to disappear while they search your bag after you checked it in. I guess they "forget" to put it back. Had it happen to me.

cedk

Nov 16, 2005, 3:15 PM
Post #17 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hit all of my cams, 'biners and nuts with a coat of gold spray paint. When I want to fly I just shave my hair into a mohawk chain the gear around my neck and wear it onto the plane. So far no one has given me any trouble and I pitty the fool who does.

landgolier

Nov 16, 2005, 3:32 PM
Post #18 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bother with packing the gear for the plane mostly to protect it from itself, as I think being thrown around while jumbled together can result in stuff hanging on trigger wires and then tweaking or breaking them. If it wasn't for the trigger wires I would just stuff it in the bag and go.

floridaputz

Nov 16, 2005, 3:57 PM
Post #19 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I fly a lot with Climbing gear. My wife is a flight attendant, we live in Florida, so we fly a lot. The only thing I do different from regular packing is putting all my cams and wires in a bear cannister in the middle duffel bag. Prior to this the cams always seemed to get bent cables or funny twists in them. Now they stay perfect !

floridaputz

Nov 16, 2005, 3:57 PM
Post #20 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I fly a lot with Climbing gear. My wife is a flight attendant, we live in Florida, so we fly a lot. The only thing I do different from regular packing is putting all my cams and wires in a bear cannister in the middle duffel bag. Prior to this the cams always seemed to get bent cables or funny twists in them. Now they stay perfect !

stabla

Nov 16, 2005, 5:37 PM
Post #21 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey floridaputz, thanks for that info. Thats what was happening to my trigger wires just getting bent a bit, but now i am going to try and find something similar to that to use to put my active pieces in. Thanks for the help, and i was also wondering since i have these "slight" bends in my trigger wire will it affect the cams performance(both dexterity and expansion)?
-yahtzee

Partner epoch

Nov 16, 2005, 8:20 PM
Post #22 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

A bent wire won't severely affect the safe operation of your SLCDs, as long as it is, say, not a 90 deg crimp in the cable.

Just thought of this, and it sounds like a good idea to me. Would it be going too far if one were to, say, buy a Pelican case large enough for your rack and rope. that way you'll have padding for your gear, a hard shell to protect your crap, and they are somewhat climate controlled being waterproof and they have that nifty purge valve by the handle to help with humidity issues. To me it sounds like a sound $60 investment towards the preservation of my climbing gear.

cgailey

Nov 16, 2005, 8:51 PM
Post #23 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I carry on. It's pretty funny to see the reaction on the security person's face when they pull out a huge wad of gear.

njclimber23

Nov 16, 2005, 9:03 PM
Post #24 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

which size pelican case were you thinking of?

climbingaggie03

Nov 16, 2005, 9:17 PM
Post #25 of 38 (16721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just cram my rack in my pack and surround it with clothes, but I carry on my helmet cause I don't want a baggage handler banging it around.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook